Adjusting to your changes before seeing weight loss?

Options
5099peperk
5099peperk Posts: 15 Member
Good afternoon, I have been working out (running and weigh classes) and sticking to my healthier 1470 calorie a day limit for nearly 4 weeks now and not seeing any progress. My scale keeps going between the same pound and my cloths are all still fitting the same with the same measurements, so I don't think its a matter of gaining muscle. I am wondering if others have experienced it taking a bit before you actually start to see results. Does it just take some time for your body to let go of that ugly fat? Just getting a bit jealous of all those others out there losing 1-2 lbs consistently.

Thank you!

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    It can take time to adjust and see results - but the first question is how are you determining your 1470 intake? Do you weigh with a digital food scale all solids, and measure liquids? Track every day, and every thing?
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    It can take time to adjust and see results - but the first question is how are you determining your 1470 intake? Do you weigh with a digital food scale all solids, and measure liquids? Track every day, and every thing?

^ This is worth considering. In my first month, I was missing about 200 calories a day - enough to account for nearly half a pound a week - and I thought I was being very careful.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think
  • tjohnoconnor
    tjohnoconnor Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    You are right about not gaining muscle. But if you have never really exercised or have not exercised in along time you are probably retaining water. Calorie deficits will always cause both muscle and fat loss. A person can lose up to 30% muscle mass while dieting without exercise. That can be reduced to 3 - 5% with strength training. It sounds like your working out on a regular basis so the muscle tissue is developing superficial tearing or damage which is good. That is how muscle is built up. For you because you are new at it, the muscle is inflamed and retaining water. Even though nothing feels different right now, body composition is changing, so stick with it. You might see nothing for a month and then drop 4 pounds overnight, figuratively