RANT...no I am not Anorexic

Options
Iorns78
Iorns78 Posts: 118 Member
OMG!! Apparently eating healthy and being active means I am now anorexic.

So frustrating to hear this at least once a week from the same dang co-worker! She sees me eat, she knows I walk two miles a day on my lunch break...so how or why could she say something like that, and she is super skinny, I would never say anything like that to her....

Why do people have to be haters? I worked damn hard to lose 40 lbs and no I am not done and she can stuff it!

And....I hear things in this reference from family as well...just be happy for the new me! I am going to chalk it up to jealousy because if I don't I think I would be very angry :mad: ...wait...I think I am. UGH!

I hate sucky people. :sad:

Rant over!

Replies

• elusive_design
    elusive_design Posts: 1,095 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like your co-worker is trying to project something that might be an issue for her onto you. ;)
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    I hate sucky people. :sad:

but I bet you don't hate a sucky kitteh

giphy.gif
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    From another thread- I'm closing in on the end of my day- so I'm copying and pasting

I'd also ask her what any of her comments are trying to achieve. Just flat out.
    "what is the point of that comment- how is that helpful"
    get a little aggressive about it if you can. Shuts people down fairly quickly since there IS no point other to be mean/put people down.

Also any of the following:
    " I'm glad to know that you're life is so empty and slow you seem to be filling it by being all up in my life...fortunately I'm busy and I don't waste a minute thinking about what you do"

"I'm sorry- how is this any of your business"

" Since you are so intent on critiquing the minutia of my life- I wanted to give you an update: I'm going poop at 3:13 PM today, I'll have a full written report of consistency, texture and quality when I'm done"

"I'm sorry- at what point did I ask you about my food?"

"I'm sorry- you're paid to do what here exactly other than critique my life?"

"Did you want to help my pick out my clothes in the morning too? I mean since you're so concerned about my well being"

"Did you want to come lift with me this afternoon??- since you know better than maybe you can teach me a think or too- I'm stalling a little on me 300 lb dead lift"

"I'm sorry- how much can you deadlift/run/squat/compete"

"i'm sorry you're life is so empty that you need to focus on mine"

"Are you offering suggestions? Because I don't remember asking for opinions"

"And some how in all of this you feel I need to defend my food choices to you becaaaaaaaaaauuuuuuuuuse.... "
    and just trail off and stare at them- (like burning death glare stare)

"when I want to look like you- I'll eat like you"

SO inappropriate- feel free to use any of those.

I fortunately do not deal well with those things- so when someone tries to "call me out" on something- I politely say I'm not a health nut- I'm a fitness nut- I eat to fuel my workouts- and I can pull almost double my own body weight off the ground. Please come back to me when you are dead lifting triple digits over your body weight and then come back and lecture me.

People REALLY like to say things when they know you are doing something- they become subject matter experts (I like throwing that in as well- "oh since you appear to be the office subject matter expert- can you please explain your process and how successful you have been with it"

be awesome.
    rock whatever it is you are doing- and never let anyone push you around because of your food choices.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Well, they say those things for one of two reasons (or maybe both?):

1) They only see a a small part of your day where you a physically active and eat very "healthy" and genuinely wonder about whether you have a healthy relationship with food and exercise. This person is concerned and voicing their opinion in an effort to help. If this doesn't sound like you...

2) Then this person is projecting an insecurity they feel about themselves not being physically fit and active. They make comments either to hurt you or to make you feel really good about your current self, either way, hoping that you will quit striving to reach your goals.

Bottom line--people suck. Ignore it or make comments like JoRocka said and they will get the point. Speaking from experience, it's hard for a lot of people to understand why a non-overweight/obese person would try to lose weight (or have fitness goals).
  • denisemonsanto5
    Options
    She is not happy with herself. Keep up the good job and don't paid her any mind.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Just last week a woman in my office commented about how skinny I was. I tried very hard to keep my composure since this woman barely weighs 100lbs and I have a good 50lbs or more on her. Whaddya gonna do?
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    From another thread- I'm closing in on the end of my day- so I'm copying and pasting

get a little aggressive about it if you can. Shuts people down fairly quickly since there IS no point other to be mean/put people down.

" I'm glad to know that you're life is so empty and slow you seem to be filling it by being all up in my life...fortunately I'm busy and I don't waste a minute thinking about what you do"

" Since you are so intent on critiquing the minutia of my life- I wanted to give you an update: I'm going poop at 3:13 PM today, I'll have a full written report of consistency, texture and quality when I'm done"

"Did you want to help my pick out my clothes in the morning too? I mean since you're so concerned about my well being"

"Did you want to come lift with me this afternoon??- since you know better than maybe you can teach me a think or too- I'm stalling a little on me 300 lb dead lift"

"And some how in all of this you feel I need to defend my food choices to you becaaaaaaaaaauuuuuuuuuse.... "

I fortunately do not deal well with those things- so when someone tries to "call me out" on something- I politely say I'm not a health nut- I'm a fitness nut- I eat to fuel my workouts- and I can pull almost double my own body weight off the ground. Please come back to me when you are dead lifting triple digits over your body weight and then come back and lecture me.

People REALLY like to say things when they know you are doing something- they become subject matter experts (I like throwing that in as well- "oh since you appear to be the office subject matter expert- can you please explain your process and how successful you have been with it"

be awesome.
    rock whatever it is you are doing- and never let anyone push you around because of your food choices.

:flowerforyou:
  • countcalories1987
    Options
    I was just recently lectured for being anorexic by a stranger who only saw my food diary. I honestly don't think people know what anorexia and anorexia nervosa truly is. People need to be supportive or get a freaken life. In no way was this lady being supportive or concerned, just straight up hating.
  • InevitableButterfly
    InevitableButterfly Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Next time some stupid person says something stupid just start dancing like this:

xlht6q.jpg
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Next time some stupid person says something stupid just start dancing like this:

xlht6q.jpg

This is solid advice!
  • Amym26
    Amym26 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    This is a helpful thread as I get this often from my coworkers as well. It's amazing how eating healthy can get so many negative comments or even having a healthy weight. I get told I was "healthier" before. Um, no I was 200 pounds and I'm 5 foot 4 - that is not healthy!
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Have you tried just saying to her face that you find her comments insulting? It's always possible that these people think that they are complimenting you and not hurting you. Some people have really weird ideas about what a compliment actually is. For example, I got recently, "you lost one of your chins!" GEE THANKS. lol
  • 40DayFit
    40DayFit Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    For example, I got recently, "you lost one of your chins!"

what.gif
  • Iorns78
    Iorns78 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! Great suggestions. I guess I am unsure that the co-worker is trying to be mean. I will for sure say something clever the next time she says something (at least weekly). Again, sorry for the rant, I just get so frustrated sometimes. I am glad (sorry) that I am not the only one in this boat!
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    Next time she says it, say this: "Well, you look like you've been long at it, can I have some tips from a pro such as yourself, please? You really got this down! Look at you, I'm jealous!"

She should shut her trap then. :flowerforyou:
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

be awesome.

Awesome response!
  • becky4m
    becky4m Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes and yes. I get it also. Especially from family. I was just told from my MIL," are you still dieting?" Me..." Its my life style not a diet.." her "why, your too skinny" or "I'm concerned... are you doing drugs" Pump the breaks people. I eat right and workout... whats the big deal. I understand when you go from 255 pounds to 159 pounds its a shock, but its not like I did it in three months... Its taken me 3 years... get over it. (sorry end rant) Feel ya! Hugs!
  • SillaWinchester
    SillaWinchester Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I feel you on a spiritual level with this. In the past, those comments are part of the reason I've given up and gained weight back. Only recently I learned to just tell them to worry about their own bodies and not mine, and that I am doing this for me. You're doing wonderfully, the people who are putting you down are doing horribly ;)
  • disneygallagirl
    disneygallagirl Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    These type of comments are usually about the person making them and not you...Their issues and insecurities and really don't have anything to do with you...other than jealousy etc....ignore and keep being awesome.