Losing pounds but not inches?

Hello, my name is Amanda. I started my new healthy lifestyle ten days ago. When I began this I weighed 254.5 pounds. Since I am only 5'4" you can see why thos weight is a problem. Anyway I have already lost 8 pounds by making sure I stay under 1900 calories a and drinking lots of water. I walk and do sit ups here and there but nothing extreme yet. I was wondering when I will see inches being loss. All of my friends lost inches before pounds. Am I doing something wrong?

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    I don't think you're doing anything wrong. I'm not an expert but here is what I think...

Depending on what your habits were/are - you could see fast results on the scale in terms of water weight change. Ever watch Biggest Loser? Everyone has big #s the first week in part because they go from eating their way (probably high sodium, water retention) to an extreme change. So part of that week 1 is water weight.

I don't take measurements - because I'm not good at it. If the tape measure isn't in the exact same spot, held the same way, etc. it can be misleading. What I do instead is use my clothing. Find a pair of jeans you can't get into now -and try them again in 30 days. And then 30 days after that and so on.

Keep walking, logging your food, drinking water.
  • lemur_lady
    lemur_lady Posts: 350 Member
    I posted the exact same topic when I was new on mfp.

Turned out I was just expecting to see the changes on the tape measure a lot sooner. You may have lost 'X' number of pounds in 10 days but this will have come of from all over your body so it can be hard to see the inches change if you measure too often.

Switch to measuring every 6-8 weeks. You'll start seeing changes trust me.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    10 Days?! Patience my dear. Patience is your friend.
  • November_Fire
    November_Fire Posts: 165 Member
    It's only been 10 days. You could have lost it from an internal area. It could just be water loss. You could have lost it from some barely measurable area of your shoulderblades.

I lost it from my back, sides, face, shoulders, boobs, ribs and various other random areas (that I didn't really want to lose from) before I started from the waist and belly, and other measurable bits.

I measure once a week.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    It's only been ten days so it's possible if you've upped your water a lot of it is water weight.
    However there is also hope that some of the fat you've lost is from around your organs. People tend to forget that about that fat.
  • Clendenen49
    Clendenen49 Posts: 49 Member
    The 1900 calories can be your problem. What are those 1900 calories made of?
  • ajones2600
    ajones2600 Posts: 8 Member
    Oh no I wasnt really expecting anything to have happened yet just thought it was bizarre to see pounds lost before inches. My calories are made up of mainly fruit veggies and protein. I have been trying to avoid too many carbs. No soda, no fast food, I feel much better already. First time in months I have gone more than a day without a headache.
  • Dude it's been 10 days. I agree with most of these posts. You have lost water weight. You will probably, depending on your weight loss per week, may start seeing results within 2 months. Just keep to it and work hard.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member

They can be made of whatever she wants.

It's only been 10 days. She needs patience.

Just be patient OP! Keep on keepin on!
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member

You again?

Eat what you want, stay under your calorie goal and have PATIENCE it's been 10 days! You didn't gain it overnight you won't lose it overnight
  • ajones2600
    ajones2600 Posts: 8 Member
    Im very thankful for all of the responses and support :)