Suana? To do or not to do?

Options
vs_shine
vs_shine Posts: 1,322 Member
What are the benefits of using a sauna? Is it worth the time?

Do any of you use the Sauna? How long do you stay in? What's your routine?

I usually do 10 minutes in the sauna... then 10 minutes cool down.... and then 10 minutes in the sauna... and then I do my cardio workout.

Replies

• VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I like the sauna and the steam room but I also like Hot Pilates in a hot room too so call me crazy. Lol. But I have never done the sauna pre a workout before. It's always been after more to relax/detox. Plus I find it helps with my allergies. Why would you do it before cardio?
  • doug_pierce
    doug_pierce Posts: 255
    Options
    Great youtube on this topic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHOlM-wlNjM
  • vs_shine
    Options
    I like the sauna and the steam room but I also like Hot Pilates in a hot room too so call me crazy. Lol. But I have never done the sauna pre a workout before. It's always been after more to relax/detox. Plus I find it helps with my allergies. Why would you do it before cardio?

It gets me sweaty and gets my heart rate going so i suppose It amps me up to be active..... For me its not relaxing lol

I've heard of Hot Pilates. or Hot Yoga. I think I'll try it someday :-)
  • vs_shine
    Options
    Great youtube on this topic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHOlM-wlNjM

wow! that's incredibly informative; thanks!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    It gets me sweaty and gets my heart rate going

What are you doing in there? I find my heart rate reduces when I'm in the sauna

The only downside I can see is potential for dehydration as a result, although I find that after a sauna I feel fatigued, but for me it's post swim or occasionally after my run.
  • VegasFit
    Options

The only downside I can see is potential for dehydration as a result, although I find that after a sauna I feel fatigued, but for me it's post swim or occasionally after my run.

If my heart rate increased just from sitting in sauna I would be a little nervous. That doesn't seem right.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

If my heart rate increased just from sitting in sauna I would be a little nervous. That doesn't seem right.

It might be too hot for you. There are people (me for example :P) that are a bit sensitive to hot steam and can't stay in saunas or hot baths for very long. I end up feeling faint and ill.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    OP, this doesn't sound like the best idea.

Saunas are great for skin exfoliation if you scrub down in a shower afterward, then take a cool shower to close your pores.
  • wonderbeard101
    wonderbeard101 Posts: 75 Member
    Options

It makes sense that your heart rate would go up-- Your body is having to work to cool itself down by sweating and increasing circulation. An increase in circulation by itself a direct link to your heart doing more work, isn't it?
  • VegasFit
    Options

It makes sense that your heart rate would go up-- Your body is having to work to cool itself down by sweating and increasing circulation. An increase in circulation by itself a direct link to your heart doing more work, isn't it?

I can only speak for myself but saunas and steam rooms don't do this to me. Exercising in a heated room, yes, like the Hot Pilates classes I take, but just sitting or laying on the bench, no.