Sugary or Salty - what's your vice? What's your substitute?

Options
2»

Replies

• MattyFTM
    MattyFTM Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Just throw it all in a bucket and I'll eat it. Sweet, salty, I don't care.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Depends on the day...

I make chips out or potatoes, sweet potatoes, vegetables or I put dip on sliced tomatoes or eggplant. I also use salted tomatoes if I want something salty and salted celery if i'm craving salt and crunch.

I make protein pudding out of oats, yogurt or cottage cheese, protein powder and a little milk if I am craving sweets. Or throw some cottage cheese ina bowl with strawberry jam, truvia and pure vanilla extract.

I buy sugar free ice cream or make my own ice cream or frozen yogurt.

If I get a chocolate bar I opt for the high percent dark chocolate. I just like it better. I don't even like milk chocolate anymore.

Oh and Pineapple all by itself. If you let it get ripe it's so sweet! that's cure any sweet craving!!

Sometimes i really jsut want to crunch something. I'll spread PB and honey on a salt free rice cake for that. :)
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Both. Even better if they are together. Chocolate sea salt caramels? Heaven.

I try to limit instead of substitute. I get so much more happiness from one piece of good candy, or having chips and guac every once in awhile than eating something that isn't really what I want. I've found that most substitutes don't do much to stop me from craving the actual thing I wanted in the first place.

Haha, my sister sells those!
  • ilmb87
    ilmb87 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Definitely salty. I have about 5 huge chocolate bars from Trader Joe's that I haven't touched in months, but a bag of chips will only last a week (at most) in my household.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Sugar. Ice cream, chocolate, donuts, candy,fruit and sugary *kitten* yogurt...I would eat it exclusively if I didn't need to get my protein up.
  • missylectro
    missylectro Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Sugar and I eat fruit
  • MartialPanda
    MartialPanda Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Salt - I drink a crap ton of water
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of making my chips out of my own veggies...but putting the idea into action is where ya lose me! Tried it once and it took forever and wasn't any good so now I don't even want to wast my time or effort on it. I have major time issue in my life, juggling a blended family and games/practices/rehearsals/etc. makes anything that takes a lot time completely undesirable.

Salted caramel frozen yogurt by kemps is awesome. Gives me sweet and salty in one shot :)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I don't consider sugar or salt to be a "vice." My vice is cigarettes. As for food, I like to mix sweet and salty, like chocolate-covered nuts, for example.
  • Shauneerae21
    Options
    I'm a junk food addict, I love salty and sweet, but sweets are the worst for me, I could eat sweets all day if it wasn't unhealthy. I've been making my own healthy sweet treats lately. My two favorites:

-Plain Greek yogurt with mixed fruit and honey
    -Full fat cottage cheese with honey (it reminds me of rice pudding)

My cravings haven't been bad this week, since beginning a high fat and protein diet, so hopefully it sticks.
  • AtticWindow
    AtticWindow Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I'm just like you, I definitely prefer salty/savory to anything sweet. The only thing I prefer sweetened is my coffee, and even that I don't sweeten up too much. Cheese is my super weakness, any and all cheese are delicious and easily inhaled by me. I can't substitute, so I just don't buy it, which helps me refrain, haha. Three cheers for self control?

Pop Chips are great when I'm feeling like chips, too.

I've found that Greek yogurt is a really good substitute for some of the other snacky foods I love, like dips or sour cream. Or I'll use it to make sauces, or I'll mix it with fruit and honey. I can't say enough good things about!
  • Hell_Flower
    Hell_Flower Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Salty - always salty!

I could manage eating chocolate maybe once a month, but could quite happily exist on a diet of fries, crisps, cheese and crackers. I've found a fairly good substitute though in these little dry roasted chickpeas. Half the calories and fat of a packet of crips and pretty damn tasty. Double the price though :(

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=3760&prodid=4358
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Salty - always salty!

I could manage eating chocolate maybe once a month, but could quite happily exist on a diet of fries, crisps, cheese and crackers. I've found a fairly good substitute though in these little dry roasted chickpeas. Half the calories and fat of a packet of crips and pretty damn tasty. Double the price though :(

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=3760&prodid=4358

Oooo, I'm gonna check those out - that website is blacklisted on my work computer, but I'll check it out when I get home tonight. They choose to blacklist some of the stupidest things here...it's always baffling to me.
  • kristinashelton
    Options
    I am a self proclaimed sugar addict, the only thing that helps with my cravings, is shakeology. The chocolate flavor makes me feel like I'm getting a treat, it helps me reach my protein goal for the day, but I have found that I also do not desire the sweets anymore.