How should I track P90X on my exercise diary?

Options
P90X states you burn approx. 600 calories on the exercises and that's what they advise to add to your calories each day you do it. So my question is - should I add my own exercise for 600 calories OR find the exercise category already provided by MyFitnessPal and follow that? The reason I ask is the strength training only says I burn 278 for 58 min yet P90X states I should be burning more (and I feel I'm burning more). I just don't want to mess up my eating and calories! Any suggestions would be awesome!

Replies

• Utahbeth
    Options
    Your best bet would be to invest in a Heart Rate Monitor and add the calories it gives you to your exercise diary. Everyone burns calories differently. And I understand that P90X has quite a bit of cardio in it, which the strength training doesn't really account for. So if I had to chose, I would suggest the calories that P90X gives you.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Yea, a HRM is the only way to go I've been doing Turbo Jam for 4 years but only in the last year when I decided I needed to drop 8lbs did I buy a HRM and find that I'm no where near the 500-600 cal burn that TJ says you can do in 1 hour. I burn only 150 cals during the 20 min one and a max of 350 for 50 min.
  • micky7890
    micky7890 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've found that the calculaitons from MFP are a bit inconsistent. If you want to know exactly how many calories you are burning get the "buddy bug". I must say I was very skeptical but it does really work. It will tell you how much you burn for the day or during a specific time (like when you work out).
  • amberdawn78
    amberdawn78 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone - I guess I'm gonna have to go purchase a new goodie for my weight loss :smile:

This was great information!!!