Soda- good, bad, or just ugly?

Options
mactaffy84
mactaffy84 Posts: 398 Member
So, I was wondering about sodas. Both diet and regular. My thought is that they are not very good for us. People seem to feel that only scientific studies from peer-reviewed journals are a basis for making such a determination, so I've included some that I came across. Seems like sodas might be not,so,healthy.

Any thoughts?

1. Ogden CL, Kit BK, Carroll MD, et al: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. NCHS Data Brief: Consumption of Sugar Drinks in the United States, 2005-2008. 2011. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/databriefs/db71.htm. Accessed
2. Fakhouri TH, Kit BK, Ogden CL: Consumption of diet drinks in the United States, 20092010. NCHS Data Brief 2012:1-8.
3. McGartland C, Robson PJ, Murray L, et al: Carbonated soft drink consumption and bone mineral density in adolescence: the Northern Ireland Young Hearts project. J Bone Miner Res 2003;18:1563-1569.
4. Tucker KL, Morita K, Qiao N, et al: Colas, but not other carbonated beverages, are associated with low bone mineral density in older women: The Framingham Osteoporosis Study. Am J Clin Nutr 2006;84:936-942.
5. Freiden J: Diet Soft Drinks Deplete Urinary Calcium. 2010. MedPage Today. http://www.medpagetoday.com/MeetingCoverage/ENDO/20831. Accessed April 28, 2014.
6. Vondracek SF, Hansen LB, McDermott MT: Osteoporosis risk in premenopausal women. Pharmacotherapy 2009;29:305-317.
7. Calvo MS, Tucker KL: Is phosphorus intake that exceeds dietary requirements a risk factor in bone health? Ann N Y Acad Sci 2013;1301:29-35.
8. Kemi VE, Karkkainen MU, Karp HJ, et al: Increased calcium intake does not completely counteract the effects of increased phosphorus intake on bone: an acute dose-response study in healthy females. Br J Nutr 2008;99:832-839.
9. Kemi VE, Karkkainen MU, Lamberg-Allardt CJ: High phosphorus intakes acutely and negatively affect Ca and bone metabolism in a dose-dependent manner in healthy young females. Br J Nutr 2006;96:545-552.
10. Fowler SP, Williams K, Resendez RG, et al: Fueling the obesity epidemic? Artificially sweetened beverage use and long-term weight gain. Obesity (Silver Spring) 2008;16:1894-1900.
11. Swithers SE, Martin AA, Davidson TL: High-intensity sweeteners and energy balance. Physiol Behav 2010;100:55-62.
12. Diets High In Sodium And Artificially Sweetened Soda Linked To Kidney Function Decline. 2009. ScienceDaily. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/11/091101132543.htm. Accessed
13. Fagherazzi G, Vilier A, Saes Sartorelli D, et al: Consumption of artificially and sugar-sweetened beverages and incident type 2 diabetes in the Etude Epidemiologique aupres des femmes de la Mutuelle Generale de l'Education Nationale-European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition cohort. Am J Clin Nutr 2013.

Replies

• HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    :indifferent: :indifferent:
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Just like all things - moderation is key. Thing with the internet is you can, really, pull up studies to argue any opinion.

I used to drink 1-2 two liters of doctor pepper a day. I gained a lot of weight doing so. That's... a LOT of calories. However, if you drink just 1 small bottle of dr pepper a day, that's only about 200 calories (give or take) and can be fit into the average diet without any consequences. Although, caffeine is addicting, so it's tough to limit it to one bottle.

Soda obviously isn't the most nutritious drink. But common sense goes a long way.

I'll just stay here and drink my diet Mountain Dew and enjoy it, too. ;)
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    My thoughts are, I wish I weren't so lazy. If I weren't so lazy, I would post studies that say they are just fine in moderation. But alas, I am lazy. But good luck to you!
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Excessive consumption of anything is bad for you. I drink diet once a week and I'm not dead yet...
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I drink Coke Zero all the time

xlht6q.jpg
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I think that if you believe sodas are unhealthy and don't want to drink them, then don't drink them.

/thread
  • SpencersHeart
    SpencersHeart Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to convince yourself that sodas are unhealthy?
  • tquill
    tquill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Excessive consumption of anything is bad for you. I drink diet once a week and I'm not dead yet...

Yet... someday when you're between 80-100 years old... BAM! Then we'll know the soda was bad.

In all seriousness... just looking at the first study:

"Sugar drinks have been linked to poor diet quality, weight gain, obesity, and, in adults, type 2 diabetes"

I'm inclined to think a lot of unhealthy people also drink soda... along with a bad diet. What about comparing healthy individuals that drink it vs healthy individuals that don't?

Also, correlation doesn't prove causation.

mexican_lemons_thumb2.jpg?imgmax=800
  • walk757
    walk757 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Definitely ugly, give the soda up!
  • Smirnoff65
    Smirnoff65 Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I work for a company that makes soda drinks for a lot of the major companies such as CocaCola and GSK (Lucozade) the amount of sugar in the form of glucose that I see going in to their mixes has put me off drinking their products at all, I do admit though I am partial to Coke Zero even with all the chemicals that go in to it.
  • AndreaFitness
    AndreaFitness Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Just don't drink soda, period. It's not natural. Straight up chemicals.
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    The caffeine, carbonation, and acid in soda is very bad for me. Had to wean myself off of pop/soda because of Crohn's/Ulcers.
  • nikkineidigh
    nikkineidigh Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I drink nothing but water for nearly twelve months. I have stopped drinking pop before I started zumba. I am still on a diet, I still drink water
  • Sbrn_
    Sbrn_ Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Ugly.

They're not good or bad. If you like them drink them, if you don't don't. I very rarely do but that's only because I hate fizzy things.
  • ellendavis47
    Options
    Bad for us according to new nutrition information
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Just don't drink soda, period. It's not natural. Straight up chemicals.

Better watch out, that H2O is gonna kill ya...
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I work for a company that makes soda drinks for a lot of the major companies such as CocaCola and GSK (Lucozade) the amount of sugar in the form of glucose that I see going in to their mixes has put me off drinking their products at all, I do admit though I am partial to Coke Zero even with all the chemicals that go in to it.

It's got to be better than that dihydrogen monoxide stuff.
  • 12bfree
    12bfree Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I can't think of anything good about a soda pop. Personally I prefer water. Sometimes with a squeeze of lemon. Occasionally I'll drink a diet coke but I can't think of anything good about it. Maybe a wasp trap.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    So, I was wondering about sodas. Both diet and regular. My thought is that they are not very good for us. People seem to feel that only scientific studies from peer-reviewed journals are a basis for making such a determination, so I've included some that I came across. Seems like sodas might be not,so,healthy.

Any thoughts?

... lots o studies ...

I could link a thousand studies that difinitively tell me how bad alcohol is for the human body, especially in excess.

I'm still going to enjoy a little bit of my favorite alcohol. I might even mix it with some soda. Oh no, that might lead to:

bigtroubleexplode1_zps67db1aa9.jpg
  • cpdiminish
    cpdiminish Posts: 84
    Options
    Of course, you'd have to define healthy or unhealthy before you could have an absolute answer.

But soda doesn't contain any nutrients (or so few that they don't much matter), so I don't see how they could ever be considered healthy.

Every time I see a thread or comment where someone claims that soda isn't bad for you, I can't help but wonder how much the beverage industry is paying them.

Most sodas contain enough artificial colors and flavors to definitely put them on the "bad" list, and that is before you even begin to look at the form of sweetener used.