Can you have too much protein?

Options
If you take a look at my diary, I'm usually eating more than my recommended daily protein. I just wanted to know if this could be detrimental to weight loss, or would it not make that much of a difference?

Replies

• redtreediary
    redtreediary Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    You'd have to eat a LOT, but yes, it can damage your kidneys.
  • redtreediary
    redtreediary Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary, you're firmly in "don't sweat it" territory, unless you've got some sort of underlying mystery condition of some kind.

(Also, this is why you always hear you should ask a doctor before dieting.)
  • tquill
    tquill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I think of protein more as a minimum. For the most part, there's no such thing as too much as long as your calories are set correctly.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    http://www.leanbodiesconsulting.com/articles/the-protein-interview-an-interview-with-dr-stuart-phillips/

There have been some people lately talking about the risk of consuming dairy or even just the dangers of a moderate to high protein diet? Is there any truth to any of this?

I can’t see too many dangers of a high dairy or a high protein diet. The bulk of evidence, beyond the usual poor-logic arguments, suggests thatdairy is quite protective against a number of metabolic and cardiovascular disease and even some cancers. The recent high protein diet ’scare’ is quite simply based on a flawed interpretation of some poor data as myself and some other researchers tried to get the point across here.

The old demons for a high protein diet are always kidney disease/failure and/or bone loss. Quite simply folks who talk about these as big deals just aren’t informed. First, even the WHO and Institute of Medicine (IOM) agree that there’s no link between protein and renal health. Second, so long as you’re getting adequate calcium and vitamin D then protein has no detrimental effect on bone health; in fact, higher protein may even enhance bone health.

. Practically, however, I think there are some true upper limits to protein intake that are around 3.5 g/kg/d [1.59g/lb/d] beyond which it’s a useless practice to consume more and more protein and it’s time to think about other macronutrients to make up your energy intake!
  • Firehawk734
    Firehawk734 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    i eat 2-300g every day, have for years, still have no problems.

I think the idea of protein can damage your kidneys, is based on people that HAVE kidney issues to begin with. Just like you wouldn't shovel candy and ice cream if you were a diabetic, or eat shellfish if you were allergic to it...

I think for healthy people it doesn't really matter how much protein you eat. It's very difficult to consume 300+ grams of protein anyway...unless you're using protein supplements and drinking it. One can only consume so many chicken breasts LOL.