Low iron

Options
I just got blood work back and am low in iron. My doctor would like me to take iron supplements. I'm also thinking about taking some zinc as well (25mg a day). Has anyone else taken these supplements? What are your experiences with each?

I'm vegan and as far as I know zinc in its most absorbable form is found in animal products. I do eat quite a bit of pumpkin seed protein powder, which apparently has a good amount of zinc... but I'm thinking that since iron and zinc compete for absorption, maybe I should take a small amount of zinc a few hours after the iron.

Replies

• snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Just be sure to not have caffeine when you take your supplements, as it inhibits iron absorption too. Other than that, I've never had a problem with taking iron supplements when my diet isn't giving me enough. I haven't had to take zinc though, but your idea of taking it after sounds good to me.
  • itachan
    itachan Posts: 12
    Options
    I have anemia so I take iron supplements everyday. I just take it with anything that has caffeine.
  • themeaningofthemorning
    themeaningofthemorning Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Hmm.. apparently you're not supposed to take it with caffeine as that can inhibit absorption
  • Mof3wc
    Mof3wc Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Iron can be pretty hard on your stomache too, and they cause constipation so watch out for that. Liquid iron isn't quite as harsh, but it's not nice either. I've never heard of the iron/caffiene thing.
  • navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Taking vitamin C in conjunction with iron supplements and iron-rich foods will help with absorption. I don't know about how zinc and iron interact, though.
  • Apocalypz
    Apocalypz Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Just be sure to not have caffeine when you take your supplements, as it inhibits iron absorption too. Other than that, I've never had a problem with taking iron supplements when my diet isn't giving me enough. I haven't had to take zinc though, but your idea of taking it after sounds good to me.
    I've been taking a small dose iron supplements, loads of tea and coffee, and received yet another clean bill of health from my GP around December. Caffeine isn't that ill fitting for my body or many others. Just take small amounts of your vitamins until your stomach is used to it otherwise you could end up with some discomfort. Better yet, fill your diet with more iron-rich foods. Your decision.
  • themeaningofthemorning
    Options
    i eat sooooooo much iron, but it's all non-heme which means it's not very effective at helping me build iron stores
  • thirteeninches
    thirteeninches Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    If you intake a lot of iron (nonheme or otherwise) and your levels are still low, then you might have an absorption issue. Vitamin A levels okay? Vit A is necessary to extract the stored Iron. Or if you have a chronic gastrointestinal problem-that could interfere with absorption, too. Of course, iron supplements can also cause gastrointestinal problems as well.
  • itachan
    itachan Posts: 12
    Options
    Hmm.. apparently you're not supposed to take it with caffeine as that can inhibit absorption
    I didn't realize that I wrote the wrong thing. I meant I minimized my caffeine intake.:blushing:
  • shano25
    shano25 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    As already mentioned, make sure you take Vitamin C when you are getting your non-heme sources of iron and in addition to avoiding caffeine, avoid calcium when you're eating non-heme rich foods.

I've never taken supplements, but I have found that concentrating on my iron levels and doing the above, my iron levels are now better as a vegetarian.
  • themeaningofthemorning
    Options
    regarding the vitamin c - i have been taking that along with the iron pills! i did a bunch of research and made sure i knew exactly how to take the iron so it would be best absorbed. my question is more about what KIND of iron people are taking. my doctor recommended feramax, but i don't want to take the syrup as it stains the teeth and the casing of the capsule has bovine and porcine ingredients, which i will not buy or ingest. right now i'm taking 900 mg ferrous gluconate each day, 600 mg in the morning and 300 mg at night.

i also do get quite a bit of vitamin a, as the vegan diet is pretty high in vitamin a if you eat healthily, which i do.

however, i am transitioning to lacto-ovo vegetarian for the time being.
  • m1likeaskyscraper
    m1likeaskyscraper Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the Wellesse Liquid Mineral Supplement Iron? It's had extremely good reviews and gluten and sugar free so should be gentle on your stomach? I may try it myself once I've run out of my Spatone sachets!

http://www.amazon.com/WELLESSE-Liquid-Mineral-Supplement-Ounce/dp/B006LTCAU2/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I took an iron pill for a while and it was very hard on my stomach.
  • wamydia
    wamydia Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I took iron for quite a while due to iron deficiency anemia. Make sure that you drink plenty of water and get enough fiber as iron supplements can cause constipation. Also probably a good idea to have some gentle stool softeners on hand in case you need them. Some other vitamins and minterals can inhibit iron absoroption, so I made it a practice to take my iron in the morning and my multivitamin in the evening in order to avoid any conflict. On the other hand, vitamin C can actually boost absorption, so I was taking an extra vitamin C tablet or drinking orange juice in the morning with my iron. Iron will also turn your poo funny colors as your body will not be able to absorb the entire supplement when you take it and the extra iron has to go somewhere.

If possible, I would suggest really working at increasing natural source of iron so that once you have built your stores back up you can get off the supplements. Dark leafy greens, beans, lentils, and artichokes are a great place to start although I'm not sure what all you normally eat as a vegan. Try to eat some citrus with your high iron foods in order to help more iron get absorbed.
  • fknlardarse
    fknlardarse Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Better yet, fill your diet with more iron-rich foods. Your decision.

My son was anaemic and the doc told me once your stores have been depleted it is impossible to eat enough iron to replenish them through diet alone and you have to have a supplement. Once your stores have recovered you can eat an iron rich diet to maintain your levels.
  • rissa876
    rissa876 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I take iron supplements 3 days a week. If I take it everyday I get constipated. That is the only drawback that sucks on taking them for me.
  • runs_in_heels
    runs_in_heels Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    As a vegetarian for 15 years, i developed pretty serious anemia - to the point where my stored iron was so low that it was causing health problems (blackouts, low body temp, lackluster energy etc.) i took EVERYTHING in the planet to try to raise my iron & some of it did nothing, but the vitamin C and the B-12 complex shots & pills both helped.

that said, my iron (at a serious deficit for over 5 years) only really increased when i started eating meat - for me, it wasn't an IRON issue, it was an absorption issue - meat iron & non-meat iron is absorbed differently, and body just wasnt havin any of the non-meat.

(not saying you should eat meat, but if you can, try to have your doctors figure out what your absorption rates are -- the B12 will help with that a little - it raised my stored iron to only mildly below normal.)
  • MeganAnne89
    MeganAnne89 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem, I have a disease called haemochromatosis which is an abnormality in my genes causing my body to hoard iron and I have to have my blood let every so often. It's actually incredibly common, 1 in ever 200 - 300 people has it, but most people don't know and if left untreated it will kill you once you get older because the excess iron deposits itself around your organs and slowly eats away at them.

So because of that, I ALWAYS caution people who are taking iron supplements. Even if your doctor has told you to, a lot of the time the amount of iron in an iron supplement is more than your daily requirement. So if you're taking a supplement, then also taking vitamin c, and on top of that, if you're eating things like spinach, a lot of citrus fruits, beets, red meat, it can greatly affect your iron levels in a negative way if you do it for a while.

So I know OP said she had a blood test, but for everyone else who THINKS that they have low iron and haven't seen a doctor to check, please please please actually go get the test done because doctors do not test for it unless you give them a reason to. And you also have to keep in mind that anemia and haemochromatosis have exactly the same symptoms (although haemo has a few more).
  • themeaningofthemorning
    Options
    Yeah it bothers me when people say "just eat iron rich foods" because it is both condescending and indicative of basically no knowledge of how your body deals with iron. I was eating 150% of my recommended intake of iron and I still became anemic.

Also, seconded on the "don't take iron if you don't need it" thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • 1pandabear
    1pandabear Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Seem to remember that taking calcium and iron at the same time will interfere with the absorption of one of them? I occasionally take a tablet of NatureMade elemental iron 65mg, which the label also says is equivalent to 325mg of Ferrous Sulfate. Its recommended dosage is one tablet per day but also states that is 361% of Daily Value. I guess that reflects what you have been saying about absorption being incomplete.
    The label also says "Iron deficiency is the most common nutrient deficiency in the United States, particularly among women of childbearing age." no doubt due in part to monthly blood loss
    Be well!