Why is oatmeal

Options

Replies

• LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I had a bowl of rolled oats this morning, cooked in water. Mixed in two tbsp of finely ground walnuts, topped it with an egg over easy. It tasted really good and I didn't miss the butter and brown sugar at all . . . well, much anyway. *sigh*
  • MildredBarhopper
    MildredBarhopper Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I often cook my oatmeal in just water, which would be boring on its own, but I add all the yummy stuff right into the bowl after. I do a lot of different combos, but I love cocoa powder, chocolate chips, and peanut butter! I have also done a little bit of orange juice and white chocolate chips, it was delicious.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Not of fan of oatmeal, as my mom would cook it on the stove in a slimy mess with raisins.

My favorite way to eat oats now is this:

1cup dry oatmeal
    1 cup peanut butter
    1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
    2 eggs
    1 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp vanilla
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 cup chocolate chips

drop by spoonfuls on a baking sheet and bake at 350 for 13 minutes.

You are welcome!:drinker:
  • Bu1l
    Bu1l Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    OATMEAL GOOD.. MIX IN SOME FRUITS
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Part of my breakfast almost every day (perhaps all but 2 days a month).

1 part Old fashioned oats with 2 parts water. A few minutes in the microwave. Top with fresh berries and a little milk. (I stir in some protein powder into the milk on lifting days. Lastly I put on a spoonful of flax seed.

Can't get enough of it.
  • daubna08
    daubna08 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I never knew so many people hated oatmeal! I honestly love the Quaker Instant Oatmeal Flavored Packets...Brown Sugar is my favorite. Pour in a bowl, pour in milk, microwave for 1 minute. Delicious. I've never even tried all of these other kinds...I guess I will have to to see what I'm missing!
  • MzKitty421
    MzKitty421 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Mmm, steel cut oats with a pat butter and some brown sugar (or honey)!! Simplicity in it's most delicious form!
  • rebeccapettigrew1
    Options
    Nah, Sugar is not great. Maple and Brown Sugar is good, or make it with apple sauce and cinnamon.
  • Tuala42
    Tuala42 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    1. Never EVER use instant. Traditional oats only
    false. instant oatmeal is all i ever use, and i love it.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one! I love the instant kind, with water even. I like the rolled kind too, but only with a buttload of sugar added and its not worth the trouble.
  • rockky83
    rockky83 Posts: 59
    Options
    thanks for the suggestions, going to try them out.
  • SillaWinchester
    SillaWinchester Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I also dislike oatmeal unless it's in cookie form BUT I've been "training" myself to like it by trying different recipes.

1 cup of oatmeal +

When I want something sweet:
    1 tsp of cocoa powder
    1 packet of sugar twin

When I want something fruity:
    1/2 chopped bananas
    1/2 cup raspberries
    1/2 milk
    1 packet of sugar twin

When I want something with protein:
    1 tablespoon peanut butter or pb2 (healthy version of peanut butter, really good, also comes in a chocolaty flavor)
    1/4 cup chopped almonds
    2 packets of sugar twin
    1 piece of toast (or two, eat it like a sandwich, so good)

When I want something creamy:
    1/2 cup milk
    2 packets of sugar twin
  • stephe1987
    stephe1987 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Plain oatmeal is gross. The key to good oatmeal is to use fruit and cook it in brown sugar water to add flavor. Raisins are good if you cook them in brown sugar as well, they swell up and taste great.
  • jltheis7
    jltheis7 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Quaker old fashioned oats 1/2 cup
    1 tablespoon or so of dried fruit like cranberries or apricots
    1tablespoon chopped walnuts
    1/4tsp cinnamon
    pinch of salt
    3/4 c water
    Microwave 2 minutes, stir(add a little milk), let sit a few minutes to cool.

Try it! Instant oatmeal and quick cooking both turn to goo so avoid them. Steel cut oats have even more texture. You can add some flax seed as well.
  • sue_stef
    sue_stef Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Im not fond of rolled oats to me they taste like glue no matter what I put in them

try Scottish oats
    or
    Irish oats
    I cook mine in Almond milk and add vanilla some margarine and fruit
  • caseyjarryn
    caseyjarryn Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I love porridge!! I like to make it in the slow cooker overnight using steel cut oats or even groats (the whole oat grain), gives it a much nicer texture... rolled oats that aren't cooked properly can have the consistency of clag glue!

I don't even sweeten mine, just oats cooked with water and a splash of milk on top.. mmm.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal cos its so easy to customise! Make it sweet, or savoury, into pancakes or cookies - hell you don't even have to cook it, just mix up some rolled oats with yogurt and fruit!
  • leaaa92
    leaaa92 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal is amaaazing :love:

Try adding cinnamon, maple syrup, etc. Or adding any flavors that you'd like :)
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal so much ahhh

blueberries + agave nectar oatmeal or brown sugar + Canadian maple syrup or brown sugar + apples + cinnamon

yes please
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Try Buckwheat groats instead with a little salt and butter. As for oats, I like mine mixed with Banana flavored protein powder or plain with cinnamon and nutmeg.
  • majica8
    majica8 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I could eat oatmeal for every meal. 1/4 milk, the rest water. 1 banana (half sliced and put in at the start of cooking, the other half sliced and added at the end), small handful of sultanas, sometimes half a tablespoon of maple syrup. Yummy :D