Vegan Cleanse

Options
I am thinking about doing a vegan cleanse and was wondering if anyone can offer any input and or what reading materials I should look to for help and suggestions. I am not sure I have an interest in becoming vegan entirely however I have entertained the idea so I would love a great cookbook resource because if my food doesn't have flavour forget it!

Replies

• IAmDanMarshall
    IAmDanMarshall Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    We have a couple of cookbooks, but I'm at work so I couldn't tell you what they are. If I remember tonight when I get home I'll post another reply. Two websites I really like are veganon10.blogspot.com and rawon10.blogspot.com. They're both run by the same person, and focus on raw and vegan foods, and you can make an entire days worth of meals for under $10!
  • IAmDanMarshall
    Options
    Also, there are recipes galore on http://www.vegweb.com/
  • roylawrence87
    roylawrence87 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Heres some input! Im clean as a whistle! Been vegan for 6 months! Never been happier!
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    I would suggest RESEARCH CLEANSES! Then if you want to go vegan go vegan. We all should be eating mostly fruits and veggies anyhow. So unless you eat alot of meat the transition should not be to bad. I would say research and maybe just start eating that way for 7 days and see how you feel.
  • 1Steph1
    1Steph1 Posts: 145
    Options
    The best way to cleanse your body is to eat nothing but raw organic fruits and veggies and LOts of water :)
  • 1Steph1
    1Steph1 Posts: 145
    Options
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    Heres some input! Im clean as a whistle! Been vegan for 6 months! Never been happier!

He's clean as a whistle. Not just the input. It's a combined resulst of the input AND THE OUPUT!!
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Sorry but human beings are carnivores and nobody will EVER convince me otherwise. :laugh:
  • thirtyby40
    thirtyby40 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    We are omnivores actually however I have serious digestive issues so i find if I limit my meat intake I 'work' much better.

I will miss cheese, butter, and eggs though very very much.
  • thirtyby40
    thirtyby40 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the website tips. I bookmarked them all so I can look through them later. :smile:
  • roylawrence87
    Options

He's clean as a whistle. Not just the input. It's a combined resulst of the input AND THE OUPUT!!

Thanks for the repair!
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Honestly the only reason cleanses work is because you are ultimately lowering your caloric intake. If you are trying to just become skinny and think this diet will help then by all means go for it, but you need protein to build muscles. So, unless you plan on buying a lot of supplements, I wouldn't recommend it.
  • roylawrence87
    Options
    Honestly the only reason cleanses work is because you are ultimately lowering your caloric intake. If you are trying to just become skinny and think this diet will help then by all means go for it, but you need protein to build muscles. So, unless you plan on buying a lot of supplements, I wouldn't recommend it.

I do believe thats why people do it. That and its a lot healthier for you. Humans were not designed to eat so much meat as we do. It was something we just came into in the last several hundred years. Meat was a lot more sparse in the days before. So in doing this "cleanse" you are ridding yourself of all the collected material in your intestines and jump starting your metabolism. Meat takes a lot longer to digest than plant matter. I know this because I have experimented with this by swapping what I ate. And there are plenty of options out there that have protein in them. So please tell me you dont supplement and I shall politely think you are lieing. I would recommend it.
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I take two scoops of whey protein powder a day which covers a third of my total protein intake per day. If you aren't eating meat, you would need supplements to cover almost all of your daily protein intake. That's all I meant.
  • roylawrence87
    Options
    I take two scoops of whey protein powder a day which covers a third of my total protein intake per day. If you aren't eating meat, you would need supplements to cover almost all of your daily protein intake. That's all I meant.

not necessarily. Soy has a lot of protein and so do beans. . It just may not be as much as meat. I dont supplement a lot of protein. I just monitor what I eat closly. Not saying what any one person is doing is wrong, this is just what I choose to do. It seems to be working fine.
  • stevobo
    stevobo Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    We are actually adapted omnivores, not carnivores.
    We do not have the adapted gut or the short intestine of the true carnivore.
    A little meat can help, but not too much.
  • kkochend
    Options
    I have been vegan now for 2 months and couldn't be happier. It was the easiest and best decision I have ever made for myself. I would recommend reading: Vegan in 30 Days; The Kind Life (which is also a cookbook). Iphone apps if you have it: iVegan, VeganXpress, Foodditives.

Mostly what we like about meat is the sauces and flavorings we add to them (at least in my case).

I just Google vegan *insert food item* recipes and find whatever I need.
    So far my favorite find has been post punk kitchen. So flavorful, so tasty! http://www.theppk.com/recipes/
    I also like Vegan A Go Go veganagogo.com/

It's all about experimenting and not being afraid to try new things.
    Peta's website (although scary has some good tips under: http://www.peta.org/living/vegetarian-living/default.aspx

I've found meat substitutes that I love in Luna Burger and Tofurky EVERYTHING!
    Butter replacer Earth Balance Soy Free is my fav
    Sorry there has yet to be a cheese replacer I have liked. But I don't miss it as much as I thought I would. Although the detox coming off of dairy was so hard on me emotionally and physically. I went through sinusy mucous detox. Gross!

The best vegan detox is a raw food detox. Only eat fruits, veggies, nuts, water, green smoothies for at least one day. MY first detox had me lose 4 lbs in one day! I did this to flush the dairy from my system) 4 lbs of DAIRY in my system! Check out rawon10.blogspot.com for some excellent foods.
  • tondalea
    tondalea Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Quantum Wellness 21 day cleanse by Kathy Freston. I have not had red meat forever but I did this cleanse last June right after having my last turkey burger on memorial day and have been meat free for over a year now. I did add fish back into my diet but thats it. I felt full of energy, had clear skin when I did this.
  • UCONNCOED
    UCONNCOED Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    bump
  • IAmDanMarshall
    Options

Spirulina (an algae) is 100% vegan and is one of the, if not THE, most protein dense sources of food on the planet. Humans have been eating it for thousands of years.