First Half Marathon!

Options
I'm running my first half marathon this Sunday (at the ripe old age of 47, I might add!). Any last minute tips? I've been training for months and am sure i'm prepared, but just in case i'm missing something...............:happy:

Replies

• endurowoman
    endurowoman Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You look to young to be running a marathon, good luck. Remember walking counts!!!! Eat your carbs the night before. Enjoy the first 20 miles and then gut it out for the last 6, you'll be fine. Of course it depends on how many long runs you've done in preparation...............and the weather.
  • kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Don't do anything on race day that you haven't done in training! Don't wear different clothes, don't try different food during the race, etc. Congrats on your first half marathon!!! I remember mine well, and it is still my favorite to date. I am running my 4th half marathon this Sunday too - the Denver Rock and Roll half - any chance this is the one you are doing? Have a TON of fun!!!!!! And don't track your food on race day. You will probably be ravenous after, and will eat everything. =)
  • goodsister
    goodsister Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am happy for you, I will run my first 10 k on ThanksGIVING so GOOD LUCK.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Don't do anything on race day that you haven't done in training! Don't wear different clothes, don't try different food during the race, etc. Congrats on your first half marathon!!! I remember mine well, and it is still my favorite to date. I am running my 4th half marathon this Sunday too - the Denver Rock and Roll half - any chance this is the one you are doing? Have a TON of fun!!!!!! And don't track your food on race day. You will probably be ravenous after, and will eat everything. =)

Thanks! No - I'm doing the Long Beach one in California. Thinking of doing the San Diego Rock and Roll next June though if i'm successful. Thanks for the tips. We already have lunch reservations for later in the afternoon!
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I am happy for you, I will run my first 10 k on ThanksGIVING so GOOD LUCK.

Thank you! I started with my first 5K last Thanksgiving. Good luck to you too.
  • jimmydeanbakker
    Options
    I do eat a banana before I do long runs.
  • DJH510
    DJH510 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    You look to young to be running a marathon, good luck. Remember walking counts!!!! Eat your carbs the night before. Enjoy the first 20 miles and then gut it out for the last 6, you'll be fine. Of course it depends on how many long runs you've done in preparation...............and the weather.

Lol it is a half she's doing not a full one. Just eat plenty the night before, a smaller amount on the morning of the race and try not to count the race mile by mile, it increases the perceived length of the race!
  • SweetPandora
    SweetPandora Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Don't do or try anything including food the day before or the day of the race.

My tip just have fun, smile and enjoy your first half! There is nothing like your first half marathon!

Best wishes!

Karen
  • racmac
    racmac Posts: 81
    Options
    start drinking lots of water now and keep it up until the day

dont do anything different that you havent done in training regarding drinks or gels or foods

dont start too fast

keep steady pace

taper now - no more running

ENJOY IT

good luck hope all goes well