Is losing 10lbs per month unhealthy/unrealistic?

Options
I have set all my goals and so far I am actually ahead of the game by a whole month which isnt surprising because alot of us know that the first few few weeks is almost effortless as far as the loss (its learning to control the urges that gets the best of some of us) So I am at the end of month number 2 and I have set up my goals to lose 10lbs per month Is this unhealthy or does anyone think unattainable?

Replies

• AmyJopp
    AmyJopp Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    That sounds pretty reasonable.....I have been losing 15 lbs per month. Everyone iss different though!!! Good Luck!!
  • Sauchie
    Sauchie Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I actually think the base is 1-2 weeks... As long as your eating your recommended calories and exercising.. I don't think the etra bouns pounds you lose( thats what I call them) will hurt to much.
  • pizzy
    pizzy Posts: 47
    Options
    theortilcly you should lose no more than 2 lbs a week, if you lose 10lbs a month that is ok that isnt unhealthy. and not unrealalistic.
  • ChubbieTubbie
    ChubbieTubbie Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I don't know about unhealthy, but it isn't unrealistic--I've lost 10 pounds last month and 5 this month (and it's halfway through the month, so I am aiming for 10 total for October), so it's doable.
  • TXBlockhead
    TXBlockhead Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I think that when you are first starting out and you have quite a bit of weight to lose, that is not that hard to do but then once you lose some weight it might be harder to do. I have set similar goals for myself.
  • lvsnick
    lvsnick Posts: 22
    Options
    Thanks for the input I know the site only recommends 1 lbs loss per week but I have nearly 100 lbs to lose so I chose the 2lb per week loss I feel more confident now to proceed thanks again everyone for the help! Happy Weight Loss!!

Its not a diet its a lifestyle!
  • iamstaceywood
    iamstaceywood Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Sounds good to me! Go for it!!
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    2 lbs a week in a standard goal, so adding an extra 2 lbs for the month is fine.
  • lilnanny
    Options
    I don't think it's unhealthy as long as you are meeting your nutritional needs. I know it's not unattainable. I've done it. I just hope that I can do it again. I have actually just started losing a few days ago and have lost 10 lbs but I don't expect that to continue at the same pace. It sounds like you've done great so far! Good luck in your journey:smile:
  • LegacyTuna
    Options
    The biggest health risk would be gallstones. They can occur in people who lose too much weight at once. 2lbs is probably fine though.
  • DeeZaster
    DeeZaster Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    TXBlockhead:
    I think that when you are first starting out and you have quite a bit of weight to lose, that is not that hard to do but then once you lose some weight it might be harder to do. I have set similar goals for myself.

I completely agree with this. If you'e bigger, it will come off so easy, but yeah it gets harder eventually- havent got there myself but I know aiming for the stars is nice, but once you start to lose- re evaluate your self and your goals, because this isnt the first time Ive heard it gets hard.
    And once its gets hard- its stressful to your body- so just keep an eye on how you're feeling- listen to your body...but Im sure once you lose the first 20lbs you wont be in such a rush either anyways because you'll already feel fabulous and will be more patient with the rest. I lost 15 in less than 2 months and I already feel like a bombshell.. LOL
    I also refuse to exercise because I know thats where the WORK is going to some into play.. so when I decide to WORK for it, thats when I'll see more results. But if I worked out like a mad man Im sure I would experience fatugue which would tell me to slow down.
    Wishing you luck- you can do anything you set your mind to. Even if it takes a While, DONT give up!!! :))
  • strongerthanb4
    Options
    thats only 2 1/2 pounds a week, seems totally do-able, just eat well and exercise and i'm sure you will lose that!
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    depends how close you are to your goal, and how you proceed. If you get your daily calories in, and your nutrition, and lose weight by exercising moderately, 10 pounds is achevable. I am finding 5 pounds is fairly easy with consistant effort. I ussualy lose 7 on the real good months and I usualy only exercise 30 min a day, and I eat 1200-1400 calories / day. All the power to you, if you try and lose nine instead of 10, how disappointed would you be. Goals are great.
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    First few months, I lost 5 pounds a month..last 2 months or so, I have been losing 2 pounds or more a week, so I think its reasonable.
  • FitnessTim
    FitnessTim Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    As others have already said it depends on how overweight you are. The danger is setting a goal that is unrealistic if you don't have the free time to devote to working out and getting enough sleep. If you lose only 8 pounds would you consider that a failure? I wouldn't.

Most people become overweight by slowly gaining weight over a period of years. Why not commit yourself for the long haul and expect to take a year to get back into shape?

For me, body weight is only an indicator of progress and not a goal. I focus more on percentage of body fat and less on how much I weigh. I wish there were consistent and accurate means of measuring body fat but unfortunately I take both the calipers and the Tanita body fat measurements and make an educated guess.

I noticed that if I lose weight too fast, my percentage of body fat does not decrease proportionately and in some cases actually goes up. That tells me the my capacity for burning fat is actually decreasing. When that happens, I hit the weights and increase my calorie intake until I've gain back the muscle I lost. By watching the numbers carefully, I can actually gain muscle without gaining fat.

I'm not an expert but I was able to get my body fat down to 10% using this method. It's since gone up to 22% due to the typical set backs that seem to be common.

I am now back down to 19-20% range which is healthy but I want to go lower. Why go lower? Well, because I know there is high likelihood I will have another set back so I have a buffer. In this way my worse shape is 22% body fat.
  • MissReRe
    MissReRe Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I think 2 pounds a week is okay. If you think you can do it then go for it!