Is it really only calories in vs calories out?

Options
When i first began to really get to know my kcal intake, i grazed the surface of calories in vs calories out. It was really that simple. HA i thought i could do this no problem.
Then i began digging deeper, and realised there was so much more to it. Macros, Micros, LCHF (low carb high fat), HCLF (high carb low fat), Mediterranean diet, sodium intake..
There is just so much out there, and no amount of research is answering my question, which is; If i am eating below my kilojoule intake, but exceeding my macros (my carbohydrates- i'm a 100% wholegrain carb lover/enthusiast :laugh: ) will/can i gain weight?
I did reduce my carbs considerably, and i did see the results, but now i'm starting to want to maintain & lean up, but i'm very nervous about eating again + i miss eating!!!
Is it possible to not gain weight while going over carb macros but staying within/under my kilojoule goal?

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,088 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to not gain weight while going over carb macros but staying within/under my kilojoule goal?

I am not quite sure what rest of your post is saying - but in answer to this last question - Yes.

I freely admit my carbs are over recommended percentages but my calories, on weekly average, are at or below goal - I steadily lost weight over a 10 month period and maintained at that for another 5 months since.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    It's simple...

If you're JUST trying to lose weight, then calories is all that matters.

If your trying to re-comp your body then protein, carbs, and fats matters.

Sodium intake is irrelevant unless you drink NO WATER, have a medical condition limiting you to a certain MG per day, or you're going on stage to compete.

Eat carbs, eat all of them. The only reason people go low carb is because it's the ONLY maco-nutrient that you can cut in order to lose weight. You don't want to drop protein or fat since they play major roles in your body an in satiety. Or they simple don't understand carb and have developed a massive phobia of them from reading dumb **** in girly magazines or seen on Dr. Oz.

Having said that, figure out our caloric intake and macros at IIFYM.com/calculator and follow it for a few weeks. If you're gaining weight drop the calories by 100. If your losing to fast, up them by 100. Fine tuning will be required since you're obviously not in tune with your body needs.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    If you break it down to the fundamentals, then yes, calories in vs. calories out is all that matters for body weight loss / gain.
    Nevertheless you should also have a good split between the 3 macros and get enough micro nutrients too on top of that for your hormone balance and lean mass retention which are things you'll want.
    But fundamentally, if you eat less calories than you expend, you'll lose body weight, no way around that thanks to the laws of nature.
  • Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    When i first began to really get to know my kcal intake, i grazed the surface of calories in vs calories out. It was really that simple. HA i thought i could do this no problem.
    Then i began digging deeper, and realised there was so much more to it. Macros, Micros, LCHF (low carb high fat), HCLF (high carb low fat), Mediterranean diet, sodium intake..
    There really isn't so much more to it. People like to over-complicate things, hence all this fancy maco and micro counting. Might give a 5% edge to professional athletes but just waste of brain cells for general person who wants to lose some fat and be healthy. Just ate balanced diet, count cals and don't worry about that stuff.
    Is it possible to not gain fat? Yes. Is it possible to not gain weight? Most likely no. You will gain or lose water each day if your carbs and foods are not consistent. One day you might lose 2 pounds other you might gain 4. You may also feel more or less bloated and fat due to that. But that's just water not fat so it's "fake weight" and not important.