Peanut Butter low cal?

Options
The stuff i have is 180 calories for 2 teaspoon..ugh! is there a low cal peanut butter and less fat??

Replies

• foxylady8098
    Options
    Unfortunately, peanut butter is going to have a lot of calories no matter what, but it IS good for you. I recommend to only buy organic peanut butter (or just any peanut butter that the ingredients say peanuts, peanut oil, salt).
  • beethedreamer
    beethedreamer Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    i personally think peanut butter is 100% worth the calories and fat. the fats in it are mostly healthy fats and if we are eating any fats, those should be it. also, I think half a serving (1 tablespoon) is plenty for whatever i'm using it for most of the time. so for your peanut butter, it would only be 90 calories.

but if you really wanted lower cal/fat peanut butter, i've heard of powdered peanut butter that has gotten some great reviews. it may be worth checking out. :]
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    That is like asking if there is low cal sugar.

It is what it is. You might try a subsitute with peanut flavor.
  • angisnee
    angisnee Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    If you can get over the texture, PB2 is a good option. It's a powdered peanut butter where they press out most of the oil, and you mix it with water to make more of a peanut paste. They even have a chocolate flavor. 85% less calories and only 2 g of fat I think. They have a website that can tell you where to buy it or you can order directly from there. It's around $4 a jar. If you try it, I hope you like it!
  • becomingsara
    Options
    POWDERED PEANUT BUTTER!!! They press out the fats and oils so you are left with 45 cals and 1 g of fat along with 1 g fiber and 4g protien. Reconstitue if you want to use it like normal, or put it in chocolate, almond milk and banana smoothies (yyyuuuummmmmyyyy!!) I am in the states and get mine at a health food store, but here is the link online http://www.bellplantation.com/ ....I get the chocolate one...

amcheney213 , ya beat me :blushing:
  • Suedre
    Suedre Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I love my Smucker's peanut butter (ingredients list: peanuts). Yeah, it has 180 cal's/TBSP, but I'm willing to spend it. I have a TBSP every morning with a fiber rich bread. It's a great protein/carb/fat way to start the day. :)
  • deshaine
    deshaine Posts: 195
    Options
    Simply Jiff is a great product. Lower in sugar and fats. Tastes fantastic!!
  • chelseyq7
    chelseyq7 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Just tried a product called Better'N Peanut Butter (still contains peanuts but also I assume a good amount of soy)... it is 100 calories per 2 TBSP (and I only used 1 on my sandwich today). So good! Maybe because I haven't had peanut butter in more than a month... worth checking out, I found it at Target and it is in the database if you wanted to check more detailed nutritional info. Enjoy!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    The stuff i have is 180 calories for 2 teaspoon..ugh! is there a low cal peanut butter and less fat??

Your measurements are off. PB should be about 180 cals for 2 tablespoons which is 6 teaspoons, so 2 teaspoons should only be 60 cals.
  • iamstaceywood
    iamstaceywood Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I buy reduced fat pb. Probably don't need to tho coz its good fats. And its sooooooooooooooo yummy. Live on the edge! I have a few splurge items, pb being one of them. Yummo on double fiber english muffins, with raisins, and fresh ground cinnamon!
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Better'n Peanut Butter (2 Tbsp)

100 calories
    2 g fat (0 g saturated)
    190 mg sodium

That is probably the lowest you can go.
  • mlh612
    mlh612 Posts: 311 Member
    Options

100 calories
    2 g fat (0 g saturated)
    190 mg sodium

That is probably the lowest you can go.

I just bought some of this yesterday at Trader Joe's and love it... YUM!!!
  • Wendy543
    Options
    100 calories
    2 g fat (0 g saturated)
    190 mg sodium
  • eharvey
    eharvey Posts: 32
    Options
    Peanut Butter is one of the most precious food items on the planet. George Washington Carver is one of my heros!!! Going out on a motorbike ride to pick up some PB2 for the first time. Ill let you know how it is.
  • ChubbieTubbie
    ChubbieTubbie Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried PB2 yet--I can't find anywhere locally that sells it and I haven't ordered it online yet. I get the Jiff 'to go' peanut butter and it's in premeasured servings of around 195 calories. I love pb with apples, and it's just enough. I just budget for it in my calories. Ironically, I didn't even like PB until I started losing weight...
  • agdeierl
    agdeierl Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Just tried a product called Better'N Peanut Butter (still contains peanuts but also I assume a good amount of soy)... it is 100 calories per 2 TBSP (and I only used 1 on my sandwich today). So good! Maybe because I haven't had peanut butter in more than a month... worth checking out, I found it at Target and it is in the database if you wanted to check more detailed nutritional info. Enjoy!

I was so excited to read this post, but when I looked at their website...there are a lot of ingredients in there!!!! I mean, I know it's only slightly peanut butter (made with peanuts but "not" peanut butter blah blah blah, check the website), so there has to be more than just "peanuts, salt", but come on! And I HATE that they add sugar to it. WHY?! Sure it's not refined sugars, but still...tapioca syrup, dehydrated cane juice, rice syrup , these are all on the ingredient list. And there just to seem to be a ton of other ingredients that seem unnecessary to me. If you're desperate to "lighten up" "peanut" butter, then I guess this would be a good option, but just know choosing natural peanut butter is healthier.
  • beethedreamer
    Options
    I haven't tried PB2 yet--I can't find anywhere locally that sells it and I haven't ordered it online yet. I get the Jiff 'to go' peanut butter and it's in premeasured servings of around 195 calories. I love pb with apples, and it's just enough. I just budget for it in my calories. Ironically, I didn't even like PB until I started losing weight...

same here! i couldn't even fathom eating it off a spoon, or on toast, or with apples, or anything. now i can't get enough, and would eat it all day if I could. and now i've tried almond butter, and there's no going back. love it!
  • beethedreamer
    Options
    I was so excited to read this post, but when I looked at their website...there are a lot of ingredients in there!!!! I mean, I know it's only slightly peanut butter (made with peanuts but "not" peanut butter blah blah blah, check the website), so there has to be more than just "peanuts, salt", but come on! And I HATE that they add sugar to it. WHY?! Sure it's not refined sugars, but still...tapioca syrup, dehydrated cane juice, rice syrup , these are all on the ingredient list. And there just to seem to be a ton of other ingredients that seem unnecessary to me. If you're desperate to "lighten up" "peanut" butter, then I guess this would be a good option, but just know choosing natural peanut butter is healthier.

usually when they take fats out of a product (even good fats), they replace it with sugars. i think they do that with the reduced fat peanut butters too, but i'm not sure.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I have up on it...I must have spent like 20 min reading the back of every peanut butter there was in Walmart...and they are all basically the same in calories...so I figured...If I want peanut butter that day, I'll just have to exercise more...or fit it in and kick something else out.
  • agdeierl
    agdeierl Posts: 378 Member
    Options

usually when they take fats out of a product (even good fats), they replace it with sugars. i think they do that with the reduced fat peanut butters too, but i'm not sure.

Yep, they do! That's why I switched to natural. I wish there wasn't so much fat in there, but at least it's healthy fat. And I'd rather have some healthy fat (which they say helps you lose fat, interestingly, around your midsection!) than added sugars, especially when it comes to peanut butter! I just budget it, like a lot of others have said. I basically eat maybe 1 tablespoon a day, 2 if I'm being naughty! :tongue: