Bulk Lunch Recipe for week... ideas and a recipe

Options
2»

Replies

• dcc56
    dcc56 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I recall the Weight Watcher's website has some ideas for cooking a big batch of food and eating it all week.
    Check there, you can see these without being a member, but you'll have to search for them. Thanks for posting your recipe and thanks to all the other ideas here too.
  • tru2one
    tru2one Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,
    Im looking for some ideas for lunch... My wife and I work 7-3 M-F, we just had a kid, so times have become limited, cuz we want to spend as much time with him as we can :)

Okay, so this isn't really a "recipe" per se, but a process for prepping 7 days of salad greens at once and having them stay just as crisp and fresh on day seven as the day you made them: http://www.salad-in-a-jar.com/skinny-secrets/how-to-make-salad-in-a-jar-that-lasts-a-week-a-video-debut-and-faq

I was skeptical of the process but I went ahead and ponied up for a vacuum sealer from Amazon (hand held, rechargeable), the mason jars w/ rings and lids, and the adapter for vacuum packing the jars. All I can say is WOW. Works like a charm and makes lunch a no-brainer, as well as having a nice prepped side salad for busy dinner nights.

The site-owner didn't recommend adding other veggies to your salad greens, but I tried adding diced carrots, sliced radishes, and cut green onions and they worked just fine w/ the lettuce. Just think of things that aren't likely to go slimy...for instance, I think cherry tomatoes would work fine if you leave them whole, but sliced tomatoes, eh, not so much.

Anyway, thought I'd attest to the success of the method in case anyone else had stumbled across the idea and wasn't sure if it would work. It does. Very well. :-)
  • leodru
    leodru Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I make Quesadillas in a frying pan sprayed with pam. Basically take 2 flat breads - fill with chicken, cheese (to hold it together), fill with peppers and heat until the bread starts to brown. Flip it and cook until brown. I take them out and cut them into wedges. Serve with tonnes of fresh salsa. This one is really quick and easy. My kids love it as well. You can adjust this one by the amount of cheese and chicken you have in it. Its doesn't take a lot of cheese for it to taste good. I also use www.allrecipies.com - best recipe website out there.
  • leodru
    leodru Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    http://www.weightwatchers.ca/food/rcp/RecipePage.aspx?recipeId=50468
    This is a chicken pot pie recipe that is low fat and reheats well. Its been popular around my place for over ten years.
  • RebeccaP1972
    RebeccaP1972 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    bump
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Yum! Thanks for sharing. These are a few recipes I like to make in bulk and put in freezable tupperwares. Take them out the night before, and voila!

CHEESEBURGER QUICHE
    1 pound ground beef
    1/3 cup onion, chopped, 1 3/4 ounces
    1/2 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced, 1 1/4 ounces
    2 eggs
    1/2 cup mayonnaise
    1/4 cup cream
    8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
    Salt and pepper, to taste

Brown the hamburger, onion and mushrooms; drain the fat and season with a little salt and pepper. Beat the eggs and mix with the mayonnaise, cream, salt and pepper. Put the meat mixture in the bottom of a greased pie plate. Mix about 1/3 of the cheese into the hamburger. Top with the remaining cheese, then pour the custard mixture evenly over top. Bake at 350º for 30-35 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.

Makes 6 servings
    Can be frozen

Per Serving: 465 Calories; 40g Fat; 24g Protein; 2g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 1.5g Net Carbs

MEXICAN SPINACH & HAMBURGER CASSEROLE
    1 pound ground beef
    1/2 medium onion, chopped, 2 ounces
    10 ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well-drained
    8 ounce cream cheese, softened
    1/3 cup sour cream
    2 teaspoons Seasoning for Tacos
    10 ounce can Ro-tel tomatoes, drained (diced tomatoes with green chiles)
    1/4 cup canned sliced pickled jalapeños
    Salt and pepper, to taste

Brown the hamburger and onion; drain the fat. Put in a greased 2 1/2-quart casserole along with all of the remaining ingredients. Mix well and bake at 350º for about 40 minutes or until bubbly and browned on top.

Makes 6-8 servings
    Can be frozen

Per 1/6 Recipe: 315 Calories; 25g Fat; 17g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs
    Per 1/8 Recipe: 236 Calories; 19g Fat; 13g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs

Found these at www.genaw.com/lowcarb

These look amazing.
  • agar62
    agar62 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Pasta Salad:

Tri-Color pasta
    Black olives
    Cherry Tomatoes
    1 Cucumber
    1 Yellow bell pepper
    Balsalmic vinaigrette dressing (either low fat, or regular)
    Feta Cheese

Boil the pasta and then set aside to cool. Dice up the olives, tomatoes, cucumber and bell pepper and mix with the pasta once it has completely cooled. Add 1/2 cup of dressing (or more or less according to your taste) and mix well.

You can refrigerate this and add in the Feta cheese or even some Turkey, Ham, or grilled chicken the day of to make a nice lunch, or take it as is as a nice side for a sandwich or to go with fruit and crackers.
  • mlrodgers381
    mlrodgers381 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Bump...my mouth is watering!
  • iRun_Butterfly
    iRun_Butterfly Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Chipotle Salsa Chicken

About 10 Servings around 150 Cal per serving

24 oz boneless/skinless chicken breast
    1 can drained rinsed black beans
    1 can chili's in adobo sauce
    1 large jar salsa (I like black bean & corn)

All the kids in the crock pot for a good 4 or 5 hours til chicken shreds easily. Serve over rice, on tortillas, on buns. Tasty stuff.
  • abrockhausen
    abrockhausen Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Defnitely going to try all of these!!!
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I generally do the same. Here are some of my favorites:

Enchiladas - these are pretty easy and don't really need a "recipe" - I usually do a small corn tortilla, 4 oz cooked weight meat per enchilada, 1/2 oz cheese per enchilada, lots of sauce and then have extras for toppings later - chopped onion, cilantro, low fat sour cream. You can make as many or as few as you want and make them to meet your needs. They even freeze decently, although if I'm freezing them, I would use a flour tortilla and only use one instead of two.

Tortilla Soup
    2 pounds cooked weight shredded chicken
    1 large 28 oz can black beans, drained but not rinsed
    2-15 oz cans corn
    2-10 oz cans diced tomatoes with green chiles (or get the ones with habaneros for extra kick)
    10 C chicken broth or stock
    juice of 4 limes
    1 T each: cumin, coriander & garlic powder
    chopped fresh cilantro

Add all ingredients except cilantro to large pot. Bring to a simmer, simmer 10 minutes to combine flavors, turn off heat and add cilantro. The last time I made this, it came to only about 120 calories per C of soup and it's very filling.

+ chopped white onions, cilantro, lime wedges, chopped fresh jalapeno, shredded cheese, sour cream, tortilla chips for garnish (add as much or little as your calories allow)

Salads - I like to put my greens in mason jars (I have pint and quart sized) because they seem to stay fresher longer, then I just portion out my meats, cheeses, dressings, toppings, etc.

Chili - make an extra large batch of your favorite chili

Bean burritos - flour tortillas, refried beans (I like Old El Paso brand with green chiles), sliced jalapenos (fresh or jarred) & cheese. I take lots of taco sauce, low fat sour cream, extra jalapenos for topping.

Meatball sandwiches - homemade meatballs in sauce, pita bread for the "bun", cheese, sliced pepperoncini or whatever else you like for a topping. I like to eat mine with a side salad.

Pasta pomodoro - chopped fresh tomatoes sauteed in olive oil with onions and garlic and fresh basil added. I like it tossed with angel hair pasta and you can eat it with grilled or baked chicken for more protein

Another option is to make extras of favorites when you are making dinners and freeze individual servings of foods. This works well with soups and stews and chilis, but I've even done this with taco meat and lasagna. It can be really helpful when you aren't in the mood for the same thing on the 5th day or something. Anymore, when DH or I cook a soup or chili, we usually double the batch and immediately freeze up a family sized serving of it for quick dinners at a later time and also freeze a couple single portions, too. Right now we have chili, white chili, tortilla soup, meat sauce for spaghetti, hoppin john soup and this bean soup he makes in the freezer. We just had lasagna on Friday that I had made up a couple months ago and froze for later.
  • literaturelover25
    literaturelover25 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Mushroom and Barley Soup: http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/cream_of_mushroom_barley_soup.html

Chicken and Broccoli Casserole: http://www.yummyhealthyeasy.com/2014/04/skinny-chicken-broccoli-casserole.html

Corned Beef and Cabbage Soup: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/03/corned-beef-and-cabbage-soup.html

Turkey Meatloaf: http://sweettreatsmore.com/2012/01/easy-no-fail-meatloaf/

I always use one of my days off to cook up something then portion them out for my work lunches. I just made Crockpot Tomato soup for this week, still deciding if it's a keeper. Good Luck!
  • mudassarmughal
    Options
    Welcome!
    We are just getting this forum up and running so expect a few glitches. Let us know if you encounter a problem so we can try to fix it. If you can't get on the forum, email me personally at