skin problems after weightloss

flsunshine
flsunshine Posts: 188 Member
edited September 22 in Health and Weight Loss
i have noticed that the skin around my stomach area seems much more looser than it was before. i went from being skinny to being overweight then pregnant and now i lost 30lbs after the baby weight was gone. so now im left with some wrinkling skin across my stomach and is wondering if anyone else has similar problems and some insite on how to better treat my skin with proper care and nurishment since i dont think surgery is the proper solution since i dont have mass amounts of it. thanks.

Replies

• jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    I found that a combo of strength and cardio training did wonders for my tummy and loose skin. Stay hydrated, both by drinking plenty of water, and by moisturizing your skin (just basic lotion, no miracle cream needed). Also, I believe I read somewhere that after quick weight loss (I think giving birth would qualify), it can take up to 18 months for skin to return to normal.
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    I have the same problem - I'm really, really hoping that time + strength training will help to minimize the sagging and loose skin. It's no fun to still feel insecure about your body after all this hard work and everything you've accomplished!

Great job on your weight loss, flsunshine! :happy:
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Strength and cardio training have done WONDERS for my skin! When I started this, looking at the back of my thighs & butt disgusted me - I was convinced that I'd have to have surgery to get rid of the wrinkled, stale cottage cheese. But, 11 months of hard work later, I am looking SO much better! I can wear short shorts and there is no cottage cheese, it is smooth and toned. I do use a couple of firming lotions, since you need to keep your skin moisturized as well: St. Ives firming & cellulite control are really nice and I've also been using Jergens Natural Glow w/firming to "tan" my body. Even the stretch marks on my chest, stomach & hips are disappearing :tongue: (boobs no longer sagging so much - I know, TMI, but it's the truth :tongue: !)
    A trick with lotion, you want to apply it within 3 minutes of getting out the shower since your skin's pores are open and more likely to "soak" up the lotion and put it to the best use. It's been a long 11 months, but to look at my stomach, butt & upper thighs & not be embarresed or do the side-ways crab walk so my fiance doesn't see the "bad" spots proves the hard work is paying off!
  • flsunshine
    flsunshine Posts: 188 Member
    i used st ives collegen elastin when i was pregnant but its really hard to find now. so i bout st ives skin firming lotion. im apple shaped so alot of my weight gain and lose has been in my middle and while i was pregnant i was all out front- no weight gain anywhere buyt my tummy so its had alot of abuse. i used to do crunched back in the day but no matter what i did even though the underneath muscles were toned i still had that layer that i couldnt get toned. thanks for the advise ladies i greatly appriciate it
This discussion has been closed.