"Starvation mode"?

Options
Hey guys.

So I have a question.

I've read the forums and there's a lot of talk about starvation mode, apparently if you eat too little your body will hold on to fat (so, you won't lose). Still, there's some people saying that it doesn't actually exist.

So, what's true? Does it exist or not? Logically, if I am at a deficit, no matter how big or small of a deficit, I should lose. Question would be how healthy the loss is and whether it's fat that I'd be losing, or fat and muscle.

I ask this question because I've been stalled for 2 weeks now. My last week alone was at a 7000 cal deficit, yet I didn't lose the 2lb I was supposed to. I generally eat when I am hungry, so I don't feel like I'm starving myself.

So, is starvation mode really a thing? Because right now I can't think of anything else that would make me stall.

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    it is but you have to eat a really small amount of food for a couple of days, if your eating over 1000 cals id say its reasonable to assume that your not in starvation mode. you could just be holding water/poo, or even just gaining some muscle at the same time
  • dmenchac
    dmenchac Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode occurs after years and years of low caloric intake. You are not even close to hitting this. Why do you think anorexics are skinny? You didn't do enough research.
  • dmenchac
    Options
    it is but you have to eat a really small amount of food for a couple of days, if your eating over 1000 cals id say its reasonable to assume that your not in starvation mode. you could just be holding water/poo, or even just gaining some muscle at the same time

Adaptive thermogenics does not occur after a couple days.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    The starvation mode question is a matter of debate. :) Regardless of where you fall on the argument it won't happen in 2 weeks.

2 weeks of no weight loss is not really a stall. The body does not always work like a well oiled machine. Some things take time. I've lost 25 pounds steadily since Christmas - but only steadily if you look at the 4 month trend. I've lost .2 in the past 9 days. And I'm ok with that, because I know I'm doing the right things: being more active, eating a variety of foods to fuel my body and have a calorie deficit. Knowing how my body responds over time and based on the calendar month, hormones, etc. - I predict I'll be down another 1-1.5 pounds in the next week. The results sometimes don't show for a while, then show all at once.

My personal opinion is that weight loss stalls can best be broken by changing things up. Have a higher calorie day occasionally, try a new cardio, start weight training, change the intensity of your workouts. Change in habits is likely to make a change on the scale - but keep in mind its the long term trend to watch for.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options

source?
    ive read that 3 days under 500 cals is enough, but i couldve been mistaken/ read a study that wasnt credible
  • dmenchac
    Options
    Also, your diary is extremely inaccurate.

If you were only eating what your diary claims, you would be losing a ton of weight
  • SpencersHeart
    SpencersHeart Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Try measurements instead of scales.

I was in a 2 pound gain and the scale didn't move for a couple of weeks. I was getting kinda discouraged.

Pulled out the measuring tape and VIOLA! I had actually lost 2 inches on my hips.

When the scale doesn't match what I think it should then I pull out the tape.

So far so good...:flowerforyou:
  • dmenchac
    Options

source?
    ive read that 3 days under 500 cals is enough, but i couldve been mistaken/ read a study that wasnt credible

There was a study posted on here a few weeks ago. It pretty much debunked the whole starvation myth as people know it.

I will find it for you in a few minutes.

3 days under 500 cals will not do anything lol
  • seehowyousoar
    seehowyousoar Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. I wasn't sure about starvation mode, that's why I asked.

I haven't lost inches either. :( Nothing. Guess I'll give it more time.

And my diary is accurate - at least the past week has been (I paid VERY close attention exactly to make sure I wasn't overeating) - I have tracked, weighed and logged everything from april 23-30 because the weight loss stopped. That's exactly why I'm so confused.

My metabolism is very slow. Could this be a possible cause?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    starvation mode as it is understood does not exist.

People think if you eat too low your body will stop burning fat and some even say create it...that is crap. Your body will adapt to low calories over a period of time tho. It is called adaptive thermogenics.

What happens is after a period (longer than a couple days) your body slows down to conserve the fuel you are giving it...and your hunger cues get screwed up to ensure your body isn't fighting against what it thinks is a famine situation.

You will continue to lose weight however...you have to as you are in a deficet...eventually tho what happens is that your metabolism slows down enough that is is only burning what you are eating...but by that point you have gone through most of your fat stores, a lot of your muscle and are skin and bones..literally...

And at that point you have done damage to your organs, you are so weak you can barely walk and you basically are near deaths door...

eating under 1k calories does not do that in a couple days...it would take weeks and weeks...think long term.

So that is why eating VLCD are not healthy....that is why going by hunger is not the best guage of what your body needs...

If you eat below 1200 as a women you are missing out on nutrients your body needs micro (vitamins and minerals) and macros (carbs, fat, protien)

So yes if your diary says you are eating 700 calories and you are not losing weight...you are not logging accurately...and if your diary is accurate why are you punishing yourself with so little food?
  • dmenchac
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. I wasn't sure about starvation mode, that's why I asked.

I haven't lost inches either. :( Nothing. Guess I'll give it more time.

And my diary is accurate - at least the past week has been (I paid VERY close attention exactly to make sure I wasn't overeating) - I have tracked, weighed and logged everything from april 23-30 because the weight loss stopped. That's exactly why I'm so confused.

Do you weigh all of your food with a food scale?
  • StaciMarie1974
    Options
    True or not, I don't know. But I've heard to boost metabolism its good to eat something every few hours & to move more often. Certainly can't hurt to try. More snacks of things like raw fruits, veggies. Add a little dose protein like cheese, peanut butter. And add in bursts of energy. Do 12-15 crunches, or take a 5 minute walk.

• seehowyousoar
    Options
    Thanks again, clears things up. :)
    I don't feel I'm punishing myself, I still eat things if I feel like eating it and I eat when I'm hungry... I lowered my cals lately because I figured maybe I was wrongly estimating my calorie intake.

Also, yes, I use a digital scale and I log EVERYTHING. It's starting to drive my mom crazy haha
  • StaciMarie1974
    Options
    Don't forget that the body weight is affected by sodium, stress, hormones, etc. So scale results short term are not necessarily accurate of fat/other loss.
  • seehowyousoar
    Options
    True or not, I don't know. But I've heard to boost metabolism its good to eat something every few hours & to move more often. Certainly can't hurt to try. More snacks of things like raw fruits, veggies. Add a little dose protein like cheese, peanut butter. And add in bursts of energy. Do 12-15 crunches, or take a 5 minute walk.

Thanks again for being so nice. :)
    And yeah, I actually started doing this recently! Snacking on fruits/veggies when I feel like snacking, instead of getting junk food. :)
    It's pretty great, actually! Sliced apples are so much better than normal :)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

I doubt metabolism is slow..have you had it tested? or just an assumption?

As well meal timing and frequency does not speed it up...
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,217 MFP Moderator
    Options
  • seehowyousoar
    Options

I doubt metabolism is slow..have you had it tested? or just an assumption?

As well meal timing and frequency does not speed it up...

Going ot be slightly awkward here.
    An assumption - but since I "go" once every few days (unless I drink lots of teas that kickstart it), I thought it'd be safe to say it's slow?
    Any suggestions?

Thanks for trying to help btw. I appreciate it :)
  • seehowyousoar
    Options

Yeah, I read this the other day, which is exactly why I was wondering about it today. Probably wouldn't have posted anything without having read it first. =P