"You'll do better with . . ."

Options
Last night we had a candidate for senator come to town. The people who handle stuff like that put out a nice spread of finger food, including little sandwiches, a Mexican sort of dip with refried beans and other ingredients, chicken wings and tenders and a some desserts. When we were all standing and chatting and snacking, I picked up a few tenders (about six ounces worth) and began eating them without sauce. Someone who knew my recent diagnosis of Type II diabetes told me I'd "do better" with the dip and tortilla chips because the tenders were fried (and the tortilla chips weren't?) and the beans and cheese were "better for me."

To be honest, I was kind of floored by it. I took a few pieces of tortilla chip and dip, but didn't stop eating my tenders. (The dip was kind of nasty, btw.) I got home and logged the tenders but had no clue as to how to log the tortillas. I managed to come in well under my calories and such, except the fat and sodium that I always have a problem with.

How do you handle something like this situation? She meant well, but has no idea about tracking calories. Do I even bother trying to explain?

Replies

• abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Nha, lost cause - acknowledge with a smile and a "ho ok", mentally raise the middle finger and keep on logging :wink:
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I don't have your medical issue but do have others. People will always offer unsolicited advice, they do to me as well. I would first tell you to do your OWN research on what is good in YOUR situation. then do your best to adhere to it.

I know I fall WAY short on what I should and should not eat with my situations. If I followed my 'rules', I'd have very limited veggies, extremely limited seafood, extremely limited poultry, limited fruit, and that's IT. not much to chose from. I'd also lose weight and feel WAY better!

As far as handling these situations, I guess you can always just say: Oh really? wow! thanks! and then walk away. You 'could' just eat the meat part of the chicken and pick off the fried goodness.

Good luck with your diagnosis! :flowerforyou:
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    This is what I say: "You know, I think it's incredibly rude to offer unsolicited commentary on what other people are eating."

Most people are so shocked by honesty that they just stop talking at that point.
  • MagJam2004
    MagJam2004 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Nha, lost cause - acknowledge with a smile and a "ho ok", mentally raise the middle finger and keep on logging :wink:

much like my own, smile and nod plan. No need to get snippy, since she more than likely thought she was doing you a favor. Just smile and nod and keep doing what your doing.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    smile and nod... and ignore....
  • Squamation
    Squamation Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    A. You "do better" eating what you're hungry for- otherwise you're left unsatisfied and likely to eat more.

2. I think even fried chicken is "healthier" overall than chips and dip
  • KariOrtiz2014
    KariOrtiz2014 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Giving the benefit of the doubt, she meant well. It's just nod and say thank you. Unless she was being a complete b*tch. Then tell her off. Two wrongs don't make a right.
  • leantool
    leantool Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Just say you are craving the tenders but don't like the look of tortilla !
    I feign acid reflux while refusing non budgeted and not so great tasting food,in my experience people take your unhealthy state more kindly than aspiration for good health !Lol
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I never talk to people about diet or food choices anymore. I just put what I want on my plate, or if I'm at a restaurant I just make my best selection without discussing calories or whatever. Nobody has a reason to comment, and nobody cares.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    I feign acid reflux while refusing non budgeted and not so great tasting food,in my experience people take your unhealthy state more kindly than aspiration for good health !Lol
    stealing this lol i hate refusing food because i always get "C'mon mannnn just one wont hurt" and all that crap
  • navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Just say that you'll give the advice the consideration it deserves. :wink:
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the good advice! I have to admit, I did want to get fresh with her, but I honestly believe that she was trying to be helpful. I did take the tasty bits off the chicken on one strip, but enjoyed the others in their fully clothed state. ;) To be honest, if I'd seen veggies there I would have eaten them, but the strips served as "supper," (except for some salad when I got home) so I think I did okay.

I'm just one month into this new lifestyle, so I'm still trying to figure out people and social situations, so I appreciate all the helpful advice I can get here.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Whenever someone tries to give me unsolicited advice, I ask them to specifically explain why. Usually I just get a dumbfounded look as a response.
  • MagJam2004
    MagJam2004 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Whenever someone tries to give me unsolicited advice, I ask them to specifically explain why. Usually I just get a dumbfounded look as a response.

I like these both. I can imagine myself standing there lightly munching on my chicken tender while she is desperately trying to remember off of what TV program she had heard that little factoid.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I always turn it around on the person, and make them tell me where they learned that. Chicken tenders are good for just about anyone. Why would this person think that fried foods were bad for a diabetic? That makes no sense.

Usually if anyone starts talking about nutrition with me, they soon regret it. :laugh:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

yupppers

why- does the trick frequently.

and then I ask "how again- remind me if you will- is what I put in my mouth any of your buisness"
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options

Totally stealing this too!
  • MomTo3Lovez
    MomTo3Lovez Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I am guessing she was trying to be helpful however not her place to tell you what you should or shouldn't eat since you are an adult. I think you handled it well, if she does it again you can just politely tell her thank you but I can make my own decisions on what I can eat. Good luck!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options

haha yes. This.

I would say something that sounded nice but left a bit of a zinger behind if she really thought about it...like "I usually talk about stuff like that with my doctor, but thank you!"
  • daviddjhonna
    Options
    Got that right! Oh and by the way, you know what you need best. If you are already doing better for yourself with exercise and diet, they this little thing of tenders is just a second compared to years. They don't really matter.