Feel like i am not making progress fast enough

Options
2»

Replies

• lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    If you feel like your weight loss is stalling then you need to have a refeed day. You have to consume more carbs and keep your fats and protein intake the same so it restarts your metabolism. It should be every 6-7 days and even more frequently when you're at a lower body fat percentage. Hope this helps!

No you do not need to do this.

You just need to continue to eat at a deficit.

If you do above every 6 -7 days and you over consume carbs (or any high calorie foods), your weekly amount will no longer be at a deficit.

A refeed day isn't supposed to be so big that it eliminates your weekly deficit -- it's a refeed, not a binge. I average 700+ daily deficit and one day of maintenance level calories. So instead of a weekly 4900 deficit, it's a 4200. The idea of a refeed isn't to undo your deficit -- but take a day off from the deficit so your body gets a break from the constant caloric deprivation and the hormonal cues that prolonged deprivation causes (or so is the theory). It has worked for me rather well.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're doing everything right. My vote is that you keep doing what you're doing and we'll all look forward to a progress update in a few months or so when you're almost to goal.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    You're doing great. I know that it is frustrating to lose slowly, but keep with what is working.
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to be rude, I am sure you are genuine, but did you post this topic to show off? Many lose much slower.

I don't mean to be rude, but I am going to anyways...
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to be rude, I am sure you are genuine, but did you post this topic to show off? Many lose much slower.

You're projecting.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Trust me if i wanted to be rude there would be no guessing.
    I posted this cause I feel stuck, yes my weight is decreasing, but it does stall at times, and I feel like I work exceptionally hard to even lose 1 stinkin lb, and I wish more would fall off faster,
    I am inpatient, I know, I think it comes from being "fitfat" I run and workout and enjoy weightlifting, but I am constantly surrounded by very fit looking ppl and I really do desire to look like the active person I am-without the extra weight

Honey what I was saying is that I don't to be rude.

There are many women here losing weight a lot slower than you are. I for one have lost 5kg in total over 8 months. I work extremely hard for that weight lose but its very litte and very slowly. I have friends that took them a year to see any weight loss at all but kept up the healthy living. When you are putting your stats up it feels like a slap in the face for people who are lose weight slowly, you are losing weight quickly (but not too quick) rate. I am just warning you the claws could come up, you posting those stats up.

If you've only lost 5 kg in >8 months, you should consider a) giving your own habits more scrutiny and OP's, less, and b) make your own thread with your details for feedback because while I don't know your specifics, I suspect there are some steps your could take to improve your progress.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

I posted this cause I feel stuck, yes my weight is decreasing, but it does stall at times, and I feel like I work exceptionally hard to even lose 1 stinkin lb, and I wish more would fall off faster,
    I am inpatient, I know, I think it comes from being "fitfat" I run and workout and enjoy weightlifting, but I am constantly surrounded by very fit looking ppl and I really do desire to look like the active person I am-without the extra weight

Welcome to every person who has lost weight, ever. You will get over it, or you'll give up. Which is it gonna be?

Your weight loss is going perfectly. Come back and complain when you haven't lost a pound in three months.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,090 Member
    Options
    If you feel like your weight loss is stalling then you need to have a refeed day. You have to consume more carbs and keep your fats and protein intake the same so it restarts your metabolism. It should be every 6-7 days and even more frequently when you're at a lower body fat percentage. Hope this helps!

If you do above every 6 -7 days and you over consume carbs (or any high calorie foods), your weekly amount will no longer be at a deficit.

A refeed day isn't supposed to be so big that it eliminates your weekly deficit -- it's a refeed, not a binge. I average 700+ daily deficit and one day of maintenance level calories. So instead of a weekly 4900 deficit, it's a 4200. The idea of a refeed isn't to undo your deficit -- but take a day off from the deficit so your body gets a break from the constant caloric deprivation and the hormonal cues that prolonged deprivation causes (or so is the theory). It has worked for me rather well.

that's great that it has worked well for you.

However I still think it is only the weekly average that matters - whether one has exactly a 500 deficit every day or 1000 some days and nil others or over some days and under others or any other combination.

What worked for me was just sticking to an average weekly deficit without any particular pattern.
  • satisfyingmyinnerfatkid
    Options
    Err delete
  • satisfyingmyinnerfatkid
    Options
    Thanks peeps,
    I just wanted a second opinion- I keep thinking i should see a full 2lbs come off, especially since I am leaving large deficits, just frustrates me, but I enjoy food, i have a healthy workout routine, I see inches gone, i just want the scale to hurry up lol
    thx for the encouraging comments

I sooo understand.. man I can lose 1 pound a week but lately cannot see 2 pounds per week gone. I don't know what it is, but earlier in my weight loss journey I was killing it. Here's to 2 pound losses if we can manage! LOL
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    You're on track like me; I've made the same progress in around 45 days.
    I've found that slow and steady works best for me. It's been easier to transition into a healthier lifestyle, and it's stuck for me a lot better this time around, than the other times I tried to get into the "hey, let's lose weight and get healthier!" mindset. Back then my focus was losing fast, and I lost momentum.

If the inches are going, focus on that! Sometimes I gain up to 5lbs in a day from water retention, and it's all gone the next. Weight fluctuates all the time, so I try not to lose sleep over that number. Inches off is far more exciting, and a better gauge of progress. :)
  • crissi725
    crissi725 Posts: 82
    Options
    Please remember that if you are working out with resistance also (cardio or weights) you are going to build muscle weight at the same time. Its not going to be a huge amount but slow weight loss plus good work outs look slow on a scale. Try to stick to measurements. Maybe weight every 2 weeks?
  • CharleePear
    CharleePear Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options

I don't mean to be rude, but I am going to anyways...

I actually wasn't trying to be. BLAH

Oh well.

I don't always get across what I am trying to say well...it's hard to on the screen. What I mean is, you are losing weight fine! Much faster than a lot of people, It looks like a normal and healthy rate to me.
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options

Are you on the venus diet? you sound a bit like it.

I've just started it and I'm very intrigued.

I am fascinated - and OP, this is worth hearing - by the fact that your fat cells are rather like those plastic bags in wine casks, they only have x amount of fat each. And if you need fat in your bloodstream, all those little taps turn on and it trickles out at a rate of x amount of fat per fat cell.

Now the intriguing bit is that as you get thinner, you have fewer little taps going. Which means you can access smaller and smaller amounts of fat.

The venus diet involves starting out hard and then becoming more gentle as time goes by. I admit I'm finding it a teeny bit too hard, and so I may just raise my diet day calories up a bit. The 2 days a week when I eat at maintenance are just that: maintenance. They're psychologically really helpful, too. I can't have that chocolate biscuit now, but I can have it on Sunday.

:)
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    > thx for all the kind comments- i havent been tracking measurements- and i have no reliable way to measure BF %
    > .......for now, the scale will have to do!

A Myotape ($5 on Amazon) makes self-measurement a snap! Another way to measure--one you've been doing all along--is to compare the biggest clothes you squeezed into vs. what you can squeeze into now. Being "fatfit" is painful. I was in the same boat a couple years ago. I remember being told I couldn't compete in an event because I couldn't possibly cut it, even though some who were less fit were allowed to. That does pass in a few months. You can do this. :)
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options

There are many women here losing weight a lot slower than you are. I for one have lost 5kg in total over 8 months. I work extremely hard for that weight lose but its very litte and very slowly. I have friends that took them a year to see any weight loss at all but kept up the healthy living. When you are putting your stats up it feels like a slap in the face for people who are lose weight slowly, you are losing weight quickly (but not too quick) rate. I am just warning you the claws could come up, you posting those stats up.

If you've only lost 5 kg in >8 months, you should consider a) giving your own habits more scrutiny and OP's, less, and b) make your own thread with your details for feedback because while I don't know your specifics, I suspect there are some steps your could take to improve your progress.

Look you jokers, she's a kiwi, and us kiwis do not give out straightforward compliments for the sake of your eternal souls.

Just calm the farm dudes. She was complimenting the OP on her success. It's got away on us all a bit, let's just get back to the task in hand, which is working out how to eat that chocolate biscuit in the kitchen cupboard that's calling softly through the wall....
  • CharleePear
    CharleePear Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options

Look you jokers, she's a kiwi, and us kiwis do not give out straightforward compliments for the sake of your eternal souls.

Just calm the farm dudes. She was complimenting the OP on her success. It's got away on us all a bit, let's just get back to the task in hand, which is working out how to eat that chocolate biscuit in the kitchen cupboard that's calling softly through the wall....

^^ Phew cultural difference piss me off hahaha. I was never trying to be critical, god LOL... FYI I am looking at what I am losing and being careful, and scrutinizing, know me before you judge me hahaha oh dear an inside joke for Kiwi's
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    hiyah op you are doing a great job just be patient this way you do not give up or do anything drastic.
    I remember calculating how much i should lose each month for the whole year. big mistake as when i didnt reach those goals it left me frustrated. i then realised i need to chill and accept any loss and be grateful for no gains. good luck you will do it.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options

that's great that it has worked well for you.

However I still think it is only the weekly average that matters - whether one has exactly a 500 deficit every day or 1000 some days and nil others or over some days and under others or any other combination.

What worked for me was just sticking to an average weekly deficit without any particular pattern.

I think they both can work -- it just depends on the person. Some have stalls with a consistent deficit of a certain amount, some don't. For those that do have stalls, a refeed day is one of the strategies to help avoid them and boost weight loss. Calorie cycling isn't new.