Cyclists: Commuting by Bike

Options
chivalryder
chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
Just got a quick question I'd like to throw out there. Most for cyclists:

Do you commute to work? If so, how far?

For everyone: How far do you feel is the furthest you would ride to/from work?

Replies

• chivalryder
    Options
    bump
  • Charisma_Black
    Charisma_Black Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Yes I would cycle about 3 times a week to work. That would be about 20-25 minutes to and from. The other days I would walk as would go to gym.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I used to. 1.5 miles each way. Now I live in a town that is scary to ride in!

Furthest? Depends. Probably 15 miles each way.
  • kdeanosu
    kdeanosu Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I will when summer break from school starts. Right now I have to drop my kids off on my way to work. But then I will ride to work and it's 5 miles each way. I would still ride if it was 10 miles but more than that probably not.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I'm not an efficient cyclist... so I don't cycle to work... but I support those that do... I would rather walk, but I live WAY too far from work for that.
  • livingsecret
    livingsecret Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I don't do it any more but last year in the summer I cycled everyday apart from Sundays, travelling 5.6 miles each way. My most would be 10 miles each way, any more and I'd get too sweaty!
  • Technolero
    Technolero Posts: 90
    Options
    I used to, but I lived 14 miles from work then. I am now 26 miles away. It would be an awesome daily workout but I don't have the time. Also, my office doesn't have adequate facilities for changing, showering etc. Commuting in Austin in August gets pretty sweaty.

I'd a max of 10 miles would be about right for the amount of time required.
  • kbags420
    kbags420 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yes, I cycle on weekdays to avoid the terrible car traffic in my city. If I have to go in on weekends, then I drive. I live about 6 miles away and it takes about 30 minutes each way with traffic. Compared to driving, it doesn't cut down that much on time, but I hate driving in traffic, so it's worth it for me. Multitasking with commuting and exercising is also good motivation.

I think the farthest I would bike to get to work would be 9-10 miles, but only if there were still shower facilities at work.
  • SarahAnna87
    SarahAnna87 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I am going to start full-time cycling on May 7 when my summer class at uni starts. Since I also work full-time I need to be able to travel between my home, school and office easily and parking would just cost too much. The round trip between places will be about 20 km per day.
  • chivalryder
    Options
    The company I work for is switching to summer hours soon. That means half days on Friday. I'll be riding into work those Fridays, which is about 25km (15 mi) each way.

I want to move closer to make it shorter and more reasonable every day, but rent is expensive. I'm looking to see what other people's experiences are.
  • chivalryder
    Options
    Just got a quick question I'd like to throw out there. Most for cyclists:

Do you commute to work? If so, how far?

For everyone: How far do you feel is the furthest you would ride to/from work?

I recently purchased a bike, because... well i didn't have one anymore.
    And i use it to cycle to work.

Only 8 km's 1 way (about 5 miles i think) so 16 km's a day.

I used to cycle about 70 km's a day (so 35 one way) to my old job on my old racing bike. Think i would not cycle more then 2 hours per bike, so no more then 55-60 km's 1 way. And i need to be able to use showers when i get there

This is encouraging. :D
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I just looked up how long it would take me, approximately, to bike to and from work... It's 11 miles to work... and if I were an efficient cyclist, over an hour... but since I live in the city that is the most adversive to any alternative transportation sources outside of the almighty car... I would be afraid to anyway.
  • lawlorka
    lawlorka Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I do. Its 7 miles exactly each way. It takes me about 40mins because I take a quieter off road route to avoid being killed by cars :)

Its quicker than getting the train and I shower when I get here and so am fresh and full of energy by the time I get to my desk.
  • chivalryder
    Options
    I do. Its 7 miles exactly each way. It takes me about 40mins because I take a quieter off road route to avoid being killed by cars :)

Its quicker than getting the train and I shower when I get here and so am fresh and full of energy by the time I get to my desk.

90% of being safe on a bike is picking the route to ride!
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    I commute when there's no precipitation in the air or on the road (ie rain, snow, ice). This usually limits me to a mid march to mid november commuting season, although we're now at a week straight of rain and I'm going insane from the lack of biking. 7 miles each way, although I have the option of a slightly longer route along the winter if I feel motivated. Usually only feel motivated in the afternoon on a nice day :)
  • celtbell3
    celtbell3 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I would love to commute by cycling. I live out in the country though. It is around 15 miles each way. My concern are drivers - they are so busy nowadays talking on their phones and doing God knows what else that putting my life in their hands is a huge act of faith that I'm not willing to engage in.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Not often, but I do bring my bike to work with me and generally ride at lunch. I have a 75 mile round trip commute, so that would be a bit much on a regular basis. I have done a partial commute a couple of times where I ride my 37ish miles to work in the morning and then take the train home in the evening but it makes for a very long day...it's just more efficient for me to go knock out a quick 15 miles or so at lunch 4 days per week and then hit a long ride on the weekends.

To boot, about 1/2 of that commute can be done on a nice multi-use trail, but the other half is along a busy highway which can be scary at times.
  • noelr56
    noelr56 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I bike to and from work, my work is about 5 miles round trip so it doesn't take me long at all! I only bike if there is no rain in the forecast, cause biking on a slippery road is not something I would be interested in doing. I think I would probably bike up to 10 miles, but after that, its how long it would take which would discourage me!

I found this free app called Strava, which is awesome for tracking routes and measure mph, and such..

Great way to get some functional exercise! Good luck!
  • EllieB_5
    EllieB_5 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    When I was capable of cycling, as long as I could make it within an hour I'd do it.
  • catneon
    catneon Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Yep I love it I have a road bike and commute 2 to 3 times per week in the summer.
    It's about 16km each way and I have shower at work. It's a great feeling to zoom by all the car stuck in hot weather traffic and you know you'll probably get home before they do!