Finding my BMR HRM w my HRM

sr2000
sr2000 Posts: 230 Member
Darn, I just saw I put the wrong letters up there. I think I mean Finding my BMR and RMR with my HRM, nothing like adding confusion to my confusion.:blushing:
I know we have all gone round round about eating and exercise calories and it's a learning curve for most of us. I'm still learning and experimenting about the "correct" ways to live a healthier more fit lifestyle. I've been searching the web trying to find out a more precise number of calories I should be eating, how much and when should I exercise, etc, etc.
Yesterday I took a day off from my regular exercise routine. I wore my heart rate monitor all day in exercise mode. I did some slow shopping around at Ikea but then I did a lot of sitting in the car on the way to a game and sat through two baseball games. A pretty sedintary day for me, which drove me crazy!
This morning, after a 23 hour tracking, my hrm said I had burned 2350 calories. So would this number be my BMR, (basal metabolic rate) not my RMR (resting rate)? And should I aim to eat a NET 1700 calories per day for a 1 lb a week weight loss? (2300-500=1700)

This website did help explain a few things and I just wanted to pass along some more informative reading to all of you...

http://www.caloriesperhour.com/

http://www.caloriesperhour.com/tutorial_BMR.php

Replies

• sr2000
    Darn, I just saw I put the wrong letters up there. I think I mean Finding my BMR and RMR with my HRM, nothing like adding confusion to my confusion.:blushing:
    I know we have all gone round round about eating and exercise calories and it's a learning curve for most of us. I'm still learning and experimenting about the "correct" ways to live a healthier more fit lifestyle. I've been searching the web trying to find out a more precise number of calories I should be eating, how much and when should I exercise, etc, etc.
    Yesterday I took a day off from my regular exercise routine. I wore my heart rate monitor all day in exercise mode. I did some slow shopping around at Ikea but then I did a lot of sitting in the car on the way to a game and sat through two baseball games. A pretty sedintary day for me, which drove me crazy!
    This morning, after a 23 hour tracking, my hrm said I had burned 2350 calories. So would this number be my BMR, (basal metabolic rate) not my RMR (resting rate)? And should I aim to eat a NET 1700 calories per day for a 1 lb a week weight loss? (2300-500=1700)

This website did help explain a few things and I just wanted to pass along some more informative reading to all of you...

http://www.caloriesperhour.com/

http://www.caloriesperhour.com/tutorial_BMR.php
  • hamilton4beaumont
    hamilton4beaumont Posts: 122 Member
    WHat kind of hrm did you get?
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    That's not entirely a BMR since you did get up and walk around. A BMR measures the calories needed to just keep you alive while you're lying completely still...that means just what you'd use to breathe and maintain brain and organ function. However, it's a close estimate of what you burn in your everyday lifestyle, and it's more accurate than just putting in 'sedentary' or 'lightly active' on MFP. Now you know that, in 24 hours, you burn about 2300 calories *plus* whatever exercise you do. If you do no exercise, eat 1800 calories (1300-500=1800). If you do exercise, add whatever exercise calories to earned to the 1800 and eat that.
  • cp005e
    cp005e Posts: 1,495 Member
    I just did this yesterday as well. I burned 2250 calories over 24 hours - I wasn't doing any *explicit* exercise, but it was more active than an average day at work (I walked around for about an hour at the farmer's market, and then pulled weeds for an hour or so). So it looks like MFP's estimates for me are actually pretty close - for losing 2 pounds a week, it put me at 1200 net calories a day.

I might try again during a week day when I am really not doing anything but sitting at a desk all day.
  • sr2000
    I just saw my math, or lack there of. 2300-500 is not equal to 1700, but rather 1800. (Note to self: reread and edit before posting)
    I have a polar f6, love it! I am wearing it continuously again today in exercise mode as I do all my normal daily activites and exercise.

I just found these definitions too....
    "BMR and RMR are estimates of how many calories you would burn if you were to do nothing but rest for 24 hours. They represent the minimum amount of energy required to keep your body functioning, including your heart beating, lungs breathing, and body temperature normal.

BMR stands for Basal Metabolic Rate, and is synonymous with Basal Energy Expenditure or BEE. BMR measurements are typically taken in a darkened room upon waking after 8 hours of sleep; 12 hours of fasting to ensure that the digestive system is inactive; and with the subject resting in a reclining position.

RMR stands for Resting Metabolic Rate, and is synonymous with Resting Energy Expenditure or REE. RMR measurements are typically taken under less restricted conditions than BMR, and do not require that the subject spend the night sleeping in the test facility prior to testing."

I had misunderstood, and thought that BMR and RMR were different, but really they end up being nearly the same number.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    I just did the activity calculator. Normally I'm so "eat all your calories" kind of gal. I love to eat. Lots. Healthy food.

So the activity calculator said I burned about 3000 calories per day with my exercise. :noway: I normally eat about 2000. So am I not losing weight because I have a large deficit? I'm at my half way point, so I've lost some, but didn't lose all of April. I work out pretty hard and spend about 4-5 hours a day doing housework.

Thoughts? I'm so afraid of going up that high in calories.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    I'm at the stage now where I'm just upping by 100 calories a day ever week, and seeing where I reach a stabilization point. I wore my HRM on what I thought was a pretty basic morning, and in two hours, I'd already burned 300 calories. Whoa. This would explain why now that I'm up to "maintenance" calories, I'm still losing. This after spending six months "dieting" and not really losing. (healthy bmi already, remember) so my "small deficit" has actually been a huge one.

Is this the whole "exercise raises your resting metabolism" thing? Watup? I find it interesting that I've been a chronic undereater apparently.

Where is my sci-fi movie metabolism scanner? Where is my robot chef? Where is my flying car? (sorry. . .expectations of the 2000s from too many movies as a child):flowerforyou:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,939 Member
    I'm at the stage now where I'm just upping by 100 calories a day ever week, and seeing where I reach a stabilization point. I wore my HRM on what I thought was a pretty basic morning, and in two hours, I'd already burned 300 calories. Whoa. This would explain why now that I'm up to "maintenance" calories, I'm still losing. This after spending six months "dieting" and not really losing. (healthy bmi already, remember) so my "small deficit" has actually been a huge one.

Is this the whole "exercise raises your resting metabolism" thing? Watup? I find it interesting that I've been a chronic undereater apparently.

Where is my sci-fi movie metabolism scanner? Where is my robot chef? Where is my flying car? (sorry. . .expectations of the 2000s from too many movies as a child):flowerforyou:

Wow, V, that is interesting!

Yeah, how come we can't put our finger in some $25 gizmo and have it tell us our BMR? We send people to the moon....?

I sense a business opportunity. :huh:
  • songbyrdsweet
    Guys, they do have RMR testing machines. They're pricey, but some facilities have them and you can actually buy your own. I had mine tested at my university. Took 15 minutes of sitting in a chair hehe :)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,939 Member
    Guys, they do have RMR testing machines. They're pricey, but some facilities have them and you can actually buy your own. I had mine tested at my university. Took 15 minutes of sitting in a chair hehe :)

Song, did the U charge you? Or do you get a freebie for being a student? Do you know how much they would usually charge for the sitting?
  • songbyrdsweet

Song, did the U charge you? Or do you get a freebie for being a student? Do you know how much they would usually charge for the sitting?

They didn't charge me...it was a free fitness assessment held by a class there. They wanted all the people they could get because they got extra points for each person they measured and each type of measurement performed. If you went to a gym it'd be more expensive...I mean they'll raise the price as long as people keep paying. If you have a college or university around it'd be worth it to look into their Nutrition/Exercise programs and see if they offer anything like that.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member

They didn't charge me...it was a free fitness assessment held by a class there. They wanted all the people they could get because they got extra points for each person they measured and each type of measurement performed. If you went to a gym it'd be more expensive...I mean they'll raise the price as long as people keep paying. If you have a college or university around it'd be worth it to look into their Nutrition/Exercise programs and see if they offer anything like that.

It's not really my BMR I'm concerned with. . .it's what I burn in a typical day. (I did call the sports medicine department where I work and got a receptionist who was sort of "huh? what?". . .I might try dropping an email this week.) I honestly don't know how active I am. I'm learning that I'm far from sedentary, but burn higher than I thought I would when I am just sitting there. Does exercise and lower body fat % really put your metabolism that much higher?
  • littlespoon
    littlespoon Posts: 165

I had the opportunity to have an RMR test for free too - very useful to know your RMR (well it was for me anyway). The exercise physiologist told me that you cannot test BMR unless you are actually in a coma, as the energy expenditure is different to Resting. But as Songbyrd said, you cant know your RMR unless you are actually laying still.