CALORIES BURNED & CALORIE DEFICIT?

wrevhn
wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
edited September 22 in Health and Weight Loss
ok I have been reading, and I am getting slightly confused.... (http://www.build-muscle-and-burn-fat.com/how-do-you-burn-fat.html)

calorie def of 500-1000 is what I need. pref 1000 for 2 lbs a week. So your suppose to find your bmr (basal metabolic rate), i got that. and i figured out my tdee (total daily energy expenditure) and I know it takes 3500 cals to do a pound of fat, so to loose 2 lbs i need a deficit of 1000 a day. but all the numbers are confusing me, i'm not left brained.

so.... do i start off with my tdee then subtract what i want to burn? and how does exercise figure in? if i'm eating 500 under, and burnng 500 in calories...does this equal my 1000 calorie deficit? or do i need to count food deficit and not exercise? does my tdee count my exercise in already?

its a mess in my head right now. lol. i read alot on many sites about this stuff,and though i get it enough, i'm having trouble merging it all together.

why can't i be rich?! then i could pay ppl to do this stuff for me. including grocery shopping, cooking, meal planning, and telling me what to do, how long and when. that be AWESOME!

Replies

• lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    For most averaged sized women you cannot take away so many calories each day to equal a 2 pound loss per week because that would put you under the 1200 per day that you should eat. You are on the right track. It is the combination of less calories PLUS exercise calories that gets you to the correct deficit. Some people eat their exercise calories back but I cannot as I find the scale does not move if I do this, it is an individual thing and you have to figure out what works for you.
    If you don't have a lot to lose it is typically difficult to lose 2 pounds per week. Now that I have less than 40 pounds to go I've noticed that my loss has slowed to about 1 pound per week.
    Your tdee does count toward your personal activity level but does not count any "extra" exercise.
    There is not an exact formula for everyone, what works for some will not for others. Just be careful what you eat, not only the calorie content, and try to get in that exercise to increase muscle mass and boost your metabolism. You will figure out the rest as you work . . .
  • michie1979
    michie1979 Posts: 41 Member
    As far as I know, from reading, is that the max deficit you can have is 1000, but this cannot come out of the your BMR. To drop 1000 in deficit, you have to up your exercise to meet the deficit. So eat your 1200 at least, and exercise off the rest.

Im not 100% sure, but i hope ive helped :)
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    1) You proly should stick closer to 1 lb a week. It's slower but its safer for your body and gives your skin and body time to reset/readjust itself.

2) MFP does this calc for you. 2lbs a week is a goal choice when you set up your profile. Just choose 2lbs a week and it will set you at what should be the deficit goal you need.

3) The formula, I think, you are looking for is BMR (What you Burn just by existing) + Cals burned from exercise - 1000 cals= your daily caloric in take goal
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    No, she's right. It's TDEE less calorie deficit = calorie goals. Your BMR is the minimum you should intake. You can create a deficit by either reducing calories, increasing exercise or a combination.

On MFP, if you enter your statistics, - height, weight, age, activity level and goals - it will tell you how many calories you can eat to maintain the necessary deficit. MFP adds back the exercise calories you earn in order to keep the deficit exact. It's 500 calories per week deficit to lose 1 pound a week, and 1000 to lose 2. However, 2 pounds isn't really reasonable unless you are pretty overweight to start with.

Hope this helps.

Good luck!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,342 Member
    It's 500 calories per week deficit to lose 1 pound a week, and 1000 to lose 2. However, 2 pounds isn't really reasonable unless you are pretty overweight to start with.

That would be deficit 500 calories a DAY. Which would equal 3500 calories deficit weekly (500 X 7 days= 3500), which could give you a one pound per WEEK loss.

IJS. (I'm only commenting on your math) :flowerforyou:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Sorry, typo. Meant day, not week. Thanks for the correction!
  • kelseyt17
    kelseyt17 Posts: 110 Member
    If you go on this site, put your weight, how much you want to weigh, your height, and age. It will tell you how much calories you need to maintain your current weight. how many calories to lose weight slowly, and how much calories to eat without exercise to lose one pound a week. You should set your calories to that one. Then burn off 500 calories worth of exercise to lose 2 pounds of fat per week. As this will cause a 1000 calories deficient which is 7000 calories a week, which = 2 pounds. :) Hope I helped.

http://nutrition.about.com/library/bl_nutrition_guide.htm
This discussion has been closed.