Does it matter?

Options
buket1819
buket1819 Posts: 73 Member
Does the amount and nutrition of what i eat matter as long as i am still in the same deficit?

Replies

• asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    yes and no

for weight loss <> deficit
    for health <> nutrition
    for fitness <> nutrition
    for maintaining muscle when eating at a deficit <> nutrition / macros /protein
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    For me it does, I am not as hungry when I eat healthier (more protein) than if I eat my calories in junk such as crackers, chips, and candy. :smile:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    In the hierarchy of things that are most important to weight loss, calories in/out is numero uno...proper nutrition is a pretty close second. In my experience, you are going to have a harder time with dietary adherence cutting out everything you enjoy and going overboard trying to be 100% super nutrition guy...on the other hand, you're going to have a difficult time with dietary adherence if you primarily stick to the SAD and eat a lot of "junk food", as you are likely to have satiety issues and from a weight maintenance standpoint, the SAD would be very difficult.

I generally advise people to rock their nutrition...I try to get 100% of my vitamins and minerals and essential fats and proteins from my diet and really work on having a well balanced diet that is rich in whole food nutrition...but kick back and enjoy some ice cream from time to time. My personal handicap is beer...

ETA: a lack of proper nutrition can also lead to hormonal imbalances and nutrient deficiencies which can jack with your metabolism and make weight loss more difficult than need be...this often happens when people cut too much fat out of their diet.
  • buket1819
    buket1819 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I am asking because I will be be at my grandmother for a week, and i can't tell her to cook healthier things since the whole family will be there also, so if I ate high-calorie and less nutritious foods for a week but still be at the same deficit, would I keep losing weight?
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    many users have lost weight on junk food - it's all about portion control
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I am asking because I will be be at my grandmother for a week, and i can't tell her to cook healthier things since the whole family will be there also, so if I ate high-calorie and less nutritious foods for a week but still be at the same deficit, would I keep losing weight?

Yes, it'll be fine.

But in this case, I would just say to increase your activity so you can enjoy grandma's cooking. And for the bigger picture, if you just eat at maintenance or more for a week, it's just a week. No one should feel guilty/bad about eating grandma's food. :flowerforyou: