Farm fresh veggies

Options
2»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I have done this with a local farm here before.

Pros - good, fresh produce and you're helping support local farmers

Cons - somewhat more expensive than going to the grocery and you are limited to whatever happens to be in the box.

Being limited to whatever was in the box was actually kind of a big thing for me...I'm just not that adaptable...if I want broccoli and all I have in my box is snap peas, I end up going to the store to get broccoli. All and all I found that I was spending more on produce due to this.

Now I just go to the farmer's market on Saturday or Sunday...I usually pick up some "specialty" veggies and I like getting my bread there. I can support my local farmers and get what I want all at the same time.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'm a fan of these programs. One idea is to share it with a friend or neighbor. I shared with a neighbor and it helps cut costs and you don't have to eat bucket loads of cabbage... maybe you like different things. It was fun to do to try new things but you can prob be more cost efficient by going to a farmers market, which is what we decide to do.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I love just going to our farmers market every Saturday and choosing exactly the veggies we feel like eating for the week.
    They also have grassfed meats including yummy pork sausage, baked goods and amazing eggs!
    We love ours as well. Great things!
  • IllustratedxGirl
    IllustratedxGirl Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Love the idea.. Dislike the selection