Riddle: If your foodlog was JerryMaguire, what would it say?

minizebu
minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
"Show me the money?"

Noooo, silly! "You complete me."

I've had MFPals come and MFPpals go, but one thing that I have noticed is that the folks that complete their diaries every day (whether or not their diaries are open or closed to their pals) seem to stick around the longest. This isn't fool proof. I do have some long-term pals that don't complete their diaries every day. But, on the whole, it is a good measure of how committed a person is to achieving their weight loss.

I'd love to have more pals in my posse who complete their diaries every day.

What can I say? I'm newsfeed starved? I usually never comment on my pal's diary completion, but I sure do notice whether or not he or she completes it. As a general rule, I try not to comment on my pal's diaries at all, because it usually leads to trouble. (I have a big fat mouth.) I tend to reserve my comments for cheering people for logging in, exercising or achieving their weight loss goals.

If you'd like a supportive pal, who logs in every day, completes her diary every day, and exercises regularly, then feel free to add me. But, please check my profile and recent forum posts to make sure that you know what you are getting into. I'm kind of quirky. :P

* P.S. Sorry for the inappropriate spacing and poor grammar ("was" instead of "were") in the thread title, but it's hard to conform to a 60-character limit. (Be forewarned: I tend toward verbosity!)

Replies

• Apple31415
    Apple31415 Posts: 98 Member
    You had me at 'pizza"?
  • Show Me the Vegetables!

I really need to add more to my daily routine.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    You had me at 'pizza"?

I was going to say, "You had me at peanut butter..."
  • Apple31415
    Apple31415 Posts: 98 Member
    not so much into peanut butter but if you feel the same way about it as i do about pizza, i totally understand.
  • minizebu
    Yikes! I just re-read what I wrote above and it makes me sound like I'm a diary-judger. Not in the least! My "big mouth" has gotten me into trouble on a few occasions, but it wasn't because I was making a value judgement about someone's diary.

1) Early in my MFP career I was fired by a pal because I asked her about one of her homemade recipes. I thought that perhaps she had made a data entry error because the entry had something like 250 calories, 25g of carbohydrate, 25g of fat and 15g of protein. (Those micronutrients don't total up to 250 calories.) She took offense at my questioning the math and unfriended me.

2) Also early in my MFP career, another pal said that she was watching her sodium intake, and that she wanted help from her pals to stay on track. She had a habit of consuming a lot of deli meat from sandwich shops, and it was pushing her sodium count up. I asked her if she could make sandwiches herself, but she interpreted my comment as being a criticism.

What I have learned is that most people don't want someone to correct their math or point out ways that they can lower their sodium. I'm detail oriented and I notice these things. Since people don't really seem to want comments about that sort of thing I stopped looking at people's food logs for the most part. However, I do notice whether or not they complete their food logs and I have found a correlation between long-term weight loss success and whether or not a person is disciplined about logging all of their food in the diary every day.

Now, what was I saying about verbosity?
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    had me at pizza as well - not so much PB (checked my logs and I've only had PB once in the last 3 months)

sounds like your 2 MFP friends were overly sensitive... which is their problem and not yours.

as for me - I do customer support and code development for a software company so I have a very thick skin and I tend to not take things personally (you would be shocked at some of the things I've had perfect strangers call me :noway: ). I also know that I am not perfect and I do not know everything and I welcome comments on my food and exercise habits.

As to the original premise of the topic, I tend to agree that people who are willing to make the effort to complete the diary on a daily basis are the ones who are committed to the goal and willing to do the work to achieve that goal and are more likely to succeed!!
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    I can honestly say that, since having her as a friend, even when she does open her big mouth, it has always been helpful :)
  • TAMayorga
    TAMayorga Posts: 341 Member
    I can honestly say that, since having her as a friend, even when she does open her big mouth, it has always been helpful :)

^^^ This ^^^
  • dreawest
    dreawest Posts: 208 Member
    Funny, I don't like to bog down the feed so I often don't close it until the following morning when it doesn't post it, the exception being when I go over to make me extra accountable but aside from a brief holiday there isn't an incomplete day in my diary since I restarted in February. I just assumed that people would tire of see has completed her diary and is under her calories day after day.
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    I've had MFPals come and MFPpals go, but one thing that I have noticed is that the folks that complete their diaries every day (whether or not their diaries are open or closed to their pals) seem to stick around the longest. This isn't fool proof. I do have some long-term pals that don't complete their diaries every day. But, on the whole, it is a good measure of how committed a person is to achieving their weight loss.

#truth!

Two quotes come to my mind:

With respect to diary completion: "When we deal in generalities, we shall never succeed. When we deal in specifics, we shall rarely have a failure. When performance is measured, performance improves. When performance is measured and reported, the rate of improvement accelerates."

and with respect to "coming and going": "Wars Come and Go but My Soldiers Stay Eternal"
  • Kadoober
    Kadoober Posts: 289 Member
    My diary reminds me daily that I am NOT, in fact, 'Hootie'.

So it seems that my diary is actually Cuba Gooding Jr.

This one time, I didn't log for a couple of days, and those couple of days became a couple of months, and I lost a lot of ground, so I am inclined to agree with you.

Log daily. Be happy. Accept that you are not a blowfish.
  • scot30316
    scot30316 Posts: 169 Member
    When I complete my diary, I lose weight

When I don't I gain or stay the same

So back to completing it I shall go. Even on the crappy days like today
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Help me help you!
  • prima073
    prima073 Posts: 93 Member
    You had me at pudding!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,501 Member
    "The human head weighs 8lbs."

About how much I eat in a little less than a week.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Now I hear that girl from the McDonald's commercial saying "You complete me" in my head. Thanks, OP! :tongue:

Another way to get yourself deleted is by making a joke about showering, when someone posts it as their exercise for the day. True story.
  • minizebu
    I thought that perhaps she had made a data entry error because the entry had something like 250 calories, 25g of carbohydrate, 25g of fat and 15g of protein. (Those micronutrients don't total up to 250 calories.)
    I'm detail oriented and I notice these things.

Uh, that should read *macro*nutrients, not micronutrients. Hmmmmm. In my self description, can we strike the words "detail oriented" and replace them with "poor proofreader", "self-critical", and "shamelessly bumps own post hours after the fact"?

@krawhitham & @TAMayorga, Awww, thanks guys! You are nice pals to have. Thanks for putting up with my big mouth! :P
  • heysarge13
    heysarge13 Posts: 403 Member
    "Show me the calories!"