Sweet tooth in the mornings

Options
Tryxxie2013
Tryxxie2013 Posts: 1,489 Member
Every morning, I find myself crazily cravings sweets...usually leading me to eat a muffin, a chocolate croissant, a cinnamon bun...

I can keep myself in check during the days/nights on most occasions, telling myself that I have to stay under my calorie goal. But whenever I eat such a high-calorie breakfast that takes up so much of my count, it's hard to feel full the rest of the day. And fighting the sweet craving just makes me miserable.

Does anyone have any breakfast ideas that would satisfy my sweet tooth but not take up such a large amount of calories, and that would have protein in it to keep me full until my 10:00am snack time? Anything with chocolate, cinnamon, anything...just as long as it's sweet. Doesn't have to be overly so.

Replies

• BootCampCrazy
    BootCampCrazy Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I drink a chocolate or vanilla protein shake. Some of them taste amazing (Premier Protein & One Nutrition)... packed with protein so they're filling, low carb, & gives me my chocolate fix ;)
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I like Quaker Oats Weight Control Oatmeal. I use 2% milk instead of water and add a teaspoon of peanut butter (any flavor you like) and then top it off with fruit. Today, I used Peanut Butter & Co. Dark Chocolate Dreams and a banana. It was just over 300 calories and kept me full until lunch. Sometimes instead of PB I add one small Milkyway Dark Chocolate Mini and it is awesome!
  • xochristianna
    xochristianna Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I start every morning with a protein shake as well. It's about 400 calories, but it's a great boost to start my day, and keeps me full until lunch time. 2 scoops chocolate whey protein, 1 tablespoon of all natural peanut butter (I use Smuckers - just make sure there is no salt/sugar added), half a banana, 8 ounces of fat free milk, and 4 ice cubes. Blended up it tastes like Reeses Pieces cereal! Yum!
  • Tryxxie2013
    Options
    These are great ideas! Thank you!

Keep them coming... :flowerforyou:
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I do, and I have a bowl of kiddy cereal to curb my sweet tooth. This morning I had Apple Jacks. Yesterday, Cookie Crisp. If I don't get my fix before work, I'll just hit the snack machines like a dope later.
  • Erinelda
    Erinelda Posts: 96
    Options
    I eat fruit every morning, a lot of it. Today was 2 apples and 2 oranges. It is still healthy because of the fiber and it keeps my brain and belly happy.
  • occsunray
    occsunray Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have a Fit & Active (from Aldi) Chocolate Peanut butter Protein bar every morning. 180 calories. That with a cup of coffee keep me happy until lunch.
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I could definitely eat a chocolate chip muffin for breakfast everyday... but I usually opt for oatmeal, cereal or yogurt/fruit. Sometimes I satisfy my cravings with a Nature Valley chocolate protein bar or Fiber One 90 calorie coffee cake for a morning snack.
  • bethfartman
    bethfartman Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I make a shake w/ 1/2 a banana, 2.5 tbs raw cacao powder, roughly a cup of almond milk, a wee squirt of honey, 1 tbs raw macca powder, and a scoop of vanilla protein powder. Sometime I add raw coconut meat, or soaked almonds, or sub the almond milk w/ coconut water. The raw cacao is so rich and delicious, it definitely satisfies my AM sweet tooth craving.
  • Amberlynnek
    Amberlynnek Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I have a horrible sweet tooth!

Try any of the following:

Cream of rice (or wheat) with unsweetened cocoa, coconut flakes and a little milk/sweetner of choice

Oatmeal with milk, tbsp sugar free chocolate pudding (or another flavor of choice) and toppings like nuts, coconut or a tbsp chocolate chips. Pistachio pudding mix, pistachios and white chocolate is some tasty business too

Skinny Banana Zucchini muffins from skinnytaste.com. 123 cals for a muffin

You could also mix a small serving of sugary cereal with a healthy one

Or a yogurt parfati: Plain Greek yougurt, tbsp of honey, berries of your choosing, pistachios or other nut, small serving dried cranberries (target carries reduced sugar) and 2 tbsp granola. You can also use nature valley dark chocolate granola bar to crush up on top.
  • Tryxxie2013
    Options
    I have a Fit & Active (from Aldi) Chocolate Peanut butter Protein bar every morning. 180 calories. That with a cup of coffee keep me happy until lunch.

I've never seen these...but chocolate and peanut butter...YUM!
  • Tryxxie2013
    Options
    I've been told that there are some good recipes for chocolate/peanut butter morning shakes. However, all the ones I find are super high in sugar/calories.

Does anyone have a good recipe for one of these? I don't think I'd ever get sick of having that in the morning.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options
    I have a horrible sweet tooth!

Try any of the following:

Cream of rice (or wheat) with unsweetened cocoa, coconut flakes and a little milk/sweetner of choice

Oatmeal with milk, tbsp sugar free chocolate pudding (or another flavor of choice) and toppings like nuts, coconut or a tbsp chocolate chips. Pistachio pudding mix, pistachios and white chocolate is some tasty business too

Skinny Banana Zucchini muffins from skinnytaste.com. 123 cals for a muffin

You could also mix a small serving of sugary cereal with a healthy one

Or a yogurt parfati: Plain Greek yougurt, tbsp of honey, berries of your choosing, pistachios or other nut, small serving dried cranberries (target carries reduced sugar) and 2 tbsp granola. You can also use nature valley dark chocolate granola bar to crush up on top.

That will get you ejected from my house FYI

Healthy stays with healthy, junk with junk. Never cross the streams.
  • Tryxxie2013
    Options
    I would really love a good, low-calorie chocolate peanut butter smoothie. Supposedly there are some out there...I'm in disbelief!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options
    I would really love a good, low-calorie chocolate peanut butter smoothie. Supposedly there are some out there...I'm in disbelief!

I'm guessing it would involve almond milk, PB2, and chocolate protein powder. You'll get sick of it after a while.
  • Tryxxie2013
    Options

I'm guessing it would involve almond milk, PB2, and chocolate protein powder. You'll get sick of it after a while.

LOL You're probably right, though it would be nice to have it as a choice.
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I make overnight oatmeal that is sweet. This morning I had Apple Butter Overnight Oatmeal, but I have PB and chocolate, PB and banana, banana cream, Almond Joy, apple and PB, lots of different mixtures. There are tons of recipes out there for overnight oatmeal and oatmeal smoothies. Just to get you started, my Apple Butter one contains:

1/2 cup rolled oats (regular Quaker oats work just fine)
    1 tsp Chia seeds
    1/2 cup skim milk
    1/2 cup vanilla yogurt
    2 tbs apple butter

Mix it all up together, cover and put in the fridge overnight, then grab your spoon!

You can sweeten it some more if you'd like. The main thing is to get the ratio of liquids (milk and yogurt) to solids (oatmeal and chia seeds) right then dress it up however you'd like.

EDIT: I use Dannon Light Greek yogurt for the extra protein and PB2 for for peanut butter flavors to keep calories down. These will last me until lunch on less active days.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options

LOL You're probably right, though it would be nice to have it as a choice.

Just speaking from experience. I currently rotate about 8 boxes of cereal for first breakfast. Keeps me motivated yanno?
  • Tryxxie2013
    Options
    OMG, my kids would have a field day with 8 different boxes of cereal in the house.
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Some chocolate Special K cereal is good (good late night snack too!)

A whole grain waffle with Nutella (I keep these at the office)

Cream and syrup or sugar in the coffee - Sugar is not the devil and if I have a sweet tooth, better to deal with and move on than binge later! I drink my Iced coffee everyday - I am NOT giving it up - and ya know - for the most part it takes care of my sweet tooth all day.