Living in Istanbul

Options
Hi Everyone!

I live in Turkey (but I am not Turkish). Life is a crazy adventure here.
I have had some back problems for the past year. I've had problems with two discs and more recently I've suffered from some pretty horrible sciatica. My back pain has put me in bed for weeks at a time and no therapy I've tried has helped. I was a real active person before, but I've gained nearly 11 pounds since last year. I am here to beat this! I've started walking and did 12 miles last week as a starter (going down to the seaside park to walk has been a real treat!!! There are dolphins swimming and jumping in the Marmara Sea near my house and I get to watch them while I walk...truly inspirational!!!)

One more thing I'd like to say is that America needs to do something to improve the cost of health care!
I couldn't believe my hospital bill here (yeah...a private hospital! Clean and modern.) It was so cheap! MRI's cost less than 500 dollars (yep! the big machine and NO INSURANCE) and a box of aspirin made by Bayer (the same company as in the USA) costs about 75 cents. :mad: :mad: :mad: I am begging my friends to make the right choice and VOTE! KICK! SCREAM! YELL! WRITE LETTERS! PROTEST! The standard of living in our country has really taken a nose dive. We live in "the most powerful country" and we can't provide a basic human need like freakin HEALTHCARE!
(P.S. The cost of living here is the same as in some states in the US...there really isn't that big of a difference when you really compare things like the purchasing power of the Lira! )

Okay....RANT finished!

Take care and nice meeting all of ya!
-D

Replies

• delpha2
    delpha2 Posts: 42
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

I live in Turkey (but I am not Turkish). Life is a crazy adventure here.
    I have had some back problems for the past year. I've had problems with two discs and more recently I've suffered from some pretty horrible sciatica. My back pain has put me in bed for weeks at a time and no therapy I've tried has helped. I was a real active person before, but I've gained nearly 11 pounds since last year. I am here to beat this! I've started walking and did 12 miles last week as a starter (going down to the seaside park to walk has been a real treat!!! There are dolphins swimming and jumping in the Marmara Sea near my house and I get to watch them while I walk...truly inspirational!!!)

One more thing I'd like to say is that America needs to do something to improve the cost of health care!
    I couldn't believe my hospital bill here (yeah...a private hospital! Clean and modern.) It was so cheap! MRI's cost less than 500 dollars (yep! the big machine and NO INSURANCE) and a box of aspirin made by Bayer (the same company as in the USA) costs about 75 cents. :mad: :mad: :mad: I am begging my friends to make the right choice and VOTE! KICK! SCREAM! YELL! WRITE LETTERS! PROTEST! The standard of living in our country has really taken a nose dive. We live in "the most powerful country" and we can't provide a basic human need like freakin HEALTHCARE!
    (P.S. The cost of living here is the same as in some states in the US...there really isn't that big of a difference when you really compare things like the purchasing power of the Lira! )

Okay....RANT finished!

Take care and nice meeting all of ya!
    -D
  • chiefiron
    chiefiron Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Yeah i hear ya. I dont know what we can do about it but something should be done. I have lived and worked in the Middle East for most of the past 4 years and have had Major surgery on my hand and decent major dental work all done in Qutar for next to nothing when compared to what i would pay in the States even with over priced insurance.

Tim
  • sgtinvincible
    sgtinvincible Posts: 2,559
    Options
    Hey Delpha!

Wow, I'm jealous. Istanbul is one of the places I would really like to visit most. I love the history of that city (Constantinople) and have met a few Turks who were super cool folks. So, how *does* an american girl like yourself end up in Turkey? Lol.

Sorry to hear about your back troubles, that sucks hardcore. Hopefully with the MRI and everything, they can get you straightened out. I was out of commision for a bit with back troubles, and I totally feel your pain on being able to be active. It's frustrating all around.

Anyhoo, glad you are with us, as you probably know by now, this is the greatest site on the interweb. If you ever need to talk, remember that you are surrounded by friends in this little piece of the net. We're always here to listen. :wink:

-Jeremy
  • FatDancer
    FatDancer Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Greetings!

History has it that many bellydancers escaped to Turkey when radical religous extremists took power in their countries of origin...do you ever get out to any of the shows?

Your walk with the dolphins sounds beautiful as well!
  • DesertWind
    DesertWind Posts: 17
    Options
    Keep up the walking and be careful how you proceed with other exercises.

I am in Saudi and health care here pretty much sucks. A friend of mine almost died from a simple bacterial infection they couldn't diagnose. He had to return to the US and made it just in time. The infection had entered his blood and was just before affecting his brain!!

I'm one of those who feel the government should not be relied upon to provide "socialized" health care. The majority of medical issues in the US could be circumvented with more focus on the foods we eat. This means targetting the FDA, USDA or anyone who supposedly "inspects" and "approves" what goes into our foods. THis would eliminate 75% of America's health issues. Sugar should be listed as "poison." And I'm not going to start on the problems (including monetary) caused by the pharmeceuticals in the US. With that being said, I strongly believe that all medical services are over priced and should be dealt with at some level. This is where the American people should stand together as a whole and demand that changes be made.

Good luck with the exercise!!
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    wow dessertwind, I agree about the FDA and about the pharmaceutical companies....:explode: that is one issue I can get explosive on....mom of a child w/ asd....so many unanswered questions and proof...lets bring the CDC in too....sigh....okay stepping down now...

going to go look for things for my ORGANIC garden now...LOL...

be careful Delpha!!!! best to you and doing great hon!... I also agree w/ you about the HC costs....something needs to be done overall!

big hugs!
    Ali :flowerforyou: