Those with fibromyalgia...have you tried?

Options
I am considering getting some workout videos designed specifically for fibromyalgia and am curious if anyone has tried them. I checked the library and they don't have them for me to try first before buying. They are kind of pricey in my opinion but worth it if they aren't as painful to complete.

http://www.nfra.net/SVideo.htm

I would appreciate any input on these videos. Have a good day/evening all!

Replies

• Nmama
    Nmama Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I dont have fibro, but when I want to see something before buying I try looking it up on youtube.

If you have netflix they may have it as well :) Hope you find something u like
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    bumping so more people see this - you need some answers! Sorry I can't provide any...
  • iluvwdw
    iluvwdw Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried any of the videos recommended for fibro or seen the one you posted. I will have a look this weekend and see if I can offer any opinions.

I have been doing the Leslie Sansone walking dvd's. Usually the one or two mile ones. If the pace gets too fast or the arm movements cause me pain I just don't do them. I adjust the video to me. Hope that helps.

I did see a lot of videos at my local library about fibro. I watched some of them and they were yoga. It was too slow paced for me. I prefer to do the yoga on my wii fit. It helps stretch me out.
  • sbusarah
    sbusarah Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    One video is stretching, another strength and toning, and the last one is aerobic. All designed by a doctor that is known for her work with fibromyalgia. They have been recommended in several fibromyalgia books I have browsed. My library doesn't have any fibromyalgia workout videos as I have already looked. I plan on getting the walking video as I have seen it referenced many times on here.

I will try searching youtube to see if it has a clip. I don't have netflix or anything like that so that doesn't work.
  • iluvwdw
    iluvwdw Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Here is one link that a fellow walker posted. There are more, I will just have to find them. On you tube look for realage subscriptions like Dr. Oz. Their channel has Leslie Sansone videos that are full length.

Tried to post the link but didn't work.

Here are three from excercise tv they are free just click on them to watch.

http://www.exercisetv.tv/startwalking/default.aspx?=aha_link_startwalking_april09

I find this one a little more intense than the youtube one so I tone it down when I need to.
  • Sparklewolfie
    Options
    I have not seen those DVDs but I did a report on exercise for fibromites in school because two of my friends have it (one has a pretty severe case, but stays active, and that inspires me!)

Swimming or "water exercise" (such as walking around in a pool) is really good if you have access to a pool because the water helps support your weight.

Otherwise try your library, as some have suggested! I personally don't like to pay a lot for exercise DVDs ;P Or look at some books in the library for things you can do yourself such as simple strength-building exercises like pressing your palms together in front of your chest and squeezing. These types of exercise require no equipment and also you are unlikely to hurt yourself because they are not "movement" exercises.

Hope somebody else has more info for you!