What to look for in a personal trainer?

Options
dopeysmelly
dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
I'm considering some personal training at some point in the future. After I lose the lard, I'd like to focus on building up muscle, but I'm clueless and want to make sure I protect my back, which has been dodgy in the past.

I'll probably join my local Y, which has a great reputation, so I can "lurk" around the fitness section and watch the personal trainers in action. What should I look out for? What are the signs of a good trainer that I should be able to observe?

Replies

• KristinNicole82
    KristinNicole82 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    First of all make sure they are certified, then see if they will do a free consult. This will give you an idea of how they train. You need to see if your personalities fit. Some trainers are more intense and will push you harder than others. Also some will focus on cardio and others on strength. I make sure you get references.

Good luck
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Certifications. You'll pay more, but they will know what they're doing.

Also, I strongly encourage you to start strength training NOW, don't wait until after you "lose the lard" as you put it. If you don't strength train, you will lose muscle mass along with fat, (you can't avoid it) then you'll have to rebuild that muscle to avoid the "skinny fat" look. And let me promise you: it is a THOUSAND times easier to lose fat than it is to build muscle. I actually miss my overweight days, because it was so much less work than what I have to do now to gain muscle mass!

Start training NOW, to avoid losing your muscle. muscle is like gold, it's dense, useful, extremely hard to come by, and it's gorgeous! Don'r lose it! :flowerforyou:
  • cczolek
    cczolek Posts: 6
    Options
    Yes, please start strength training now. The trainer can help you with that, but also motivation, help you problem solve when you hit a plateau, and definately help work around, or even improve your back problems. Most people that wait until they hit their goals to work with a trainer, run into problems somewhere along the way (we all do) and they never got to that point. Getting through those times is exactly what the trainer is for.

Look for:

- Knowledge and expertise - they should be certified. The best certs are ACSM, NSCA, and NASM
    - Make sure their personality is a good fit - you will be spending time with them
    - Do you feel you can trust them
    - Do they listen to you (this does not mean they have to agree with you... they are the experts)
    Also cost and their availability has to be compatable