things to know, that i don't know

Options
So i'm new to My Fitness Pal and am already a bit overwhelmed with all the acronyms. I must be nutrient dense (play on words).

Could someone help a total noob like me understand

1. what are macronutrients? How do i change the setting?
2. How do i "stick" a message board, so i can refer back to it later?
3. how do i add friends?
4. there's a barcode feature? How do i access that?
5. is there anything else i should know? being new and all...

(to note: i've read the "so you're new here" post and was kinda lost at what ET or IIFLT meant.)

please and thank you in advance!

Replies

• beccagetsskinny
    beccagetsskinny Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    figured out the barcode thing. derp.
  • SillyTree
    SillyTree Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    1) Macronutrients are Protein, Carbs, & Fats… Micronutrients would be the breakdown of what those are made of, like Zinc, Copper, Vitamin A, Omega-3 Fats, etc…

2) I have never stuck a Message Board, so not sure…

3) I just click on people I want to add, or if I know their name, I punch it in, and on their profile it will have an option to add friends.

4) I only access the barcode feature when I click add food, and then their is a button on your Tablet or Smartphone that you can select and it will go to barcode mode.

5) Less more consistently is better than More less consistently… Consistency is where it's at.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    If you want to refer back later to a thread, just post something in it. Then it's saved in your "My Topics" list.
  • beccagetsskinny
    beccagetsskinny Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    but what if those threads are old and they don't have the function to reply?

also, is there a way to scroll to reply without having to go to the last page?

sillytree: AWESOME. thanks for clarifying that for me.

i realize that consistency is a major factor to success, but i'm wondering what you (and others) have done to be consistent/persistent in your logging and weightloss? Perhaps my slight ADD (ooo is that something shiny over there?) tendency seems to get in the way (oh look! a chocolate cake!) of verifiable weightloss.
  • tjohnoconnor
    tjohnoconnor Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I think successful people set short, mid and long term goals. They also don't oversell themselves on what to do to obtain their goals. Going from doing nothing to a Boot Camp style or P90X program is overselling. Find the small things that you can easily change and stick to that can have an impact on your program. And believe that your life can be better than even you dream it can be. And thanks for accepting my FR
  • SillyTree
    SillyTree Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    For me, being consistent has come from probably 3 main things;

1) Not being so hard on myself.
    2) Simply getting back on track as soon as possible if I mess up or get off track, instead of sulking into a sedentary food coma for a week.
    3) Not trying to make all of my gains in one day, and simply learning to make the right choices that are in front of me for that day.

I would say that in making being healthy a lifestyle, those 3 principles stand out more than anything else for me… But like I said, that is for me! You may have a different set of principles to overcome and apply, or you may not!?
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I think successful people set short, mid and long term goals. They also don't oversell themselves on what to do to obtain their goals. Going from doing nothing to a Boot Camp style or P90X program is overselling. Find the small things that you can easily change and stick to that can have an impact on your program. And believe that your life can be better than even you dream it can be. And thanks for accepting my FR

Great post.