Body Fat

ivyjbres
ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
edited September 22 in Health and Weight Loss
Just for fun, I decided to calculate my body fat. So I googled body fat calculators, plugged all the numbers into all applicable blanks on every calculator on the first page of search results, and here's what I came up with:

41.15%, 27.59%, 28.9%, 32.11%, 41.0% (twice), 31%, 41.16%, and the funniest result:

"Using your measurements of a 35 inches waist and weight of 200 pounds your body fat percentage is estimated to be 40.98 % using the U.S. Navy body fat formula, or 26.04 % using the formula developed by the YMCA.

Neither method is as accurate as a water displacement test, but is usually within 1-3% for most people."

...which is not even mathematically possible!

Now I understand that there's a certain amount of variance between formulas, which can't take into account muscle mass and frame size and so on and so forth; but why do we act like these numbers matter when they've so clearly been pulled out of someone's backside?

Replies

• YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Body Fat percents should be measured to show progress unless you plan on becoming a professional body builder. Also, they are less accurate above 25% body fat. It's pointless to measure above that percent unless you just want to gauge how much you have lost and aren't looking for an exact number. Just record your weight once a week and take pictures along the way. They will be much more useful in checking your progress.
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    OK, I know no one is interested in this but me, but I just found a calculator that says my body fat is 15.2%

I entered in my stats from my lowest weight (124.5) and it produced -20.6%.
This discussion has been closed.