Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    [1] Rack your &)*^@! weights
    [2] Keep your rest periods short as needed
    [3] Don't do supersets or circuit training at peak gym times
    [4] Don't stare at the hot chicks in yoga pants
    [5] Never EVER interrupt someone who is in the middle of a set - wait until the set is complete.
    [6] Curl in the power cage at your own peril
    [7] Wipe up your sweat

Things to keep in mind:
    [1] No one is judging how little you lift
    [2] When people are looking at you, they're merely seeing who the new guy is
    [3] Most advice is crap
    [4] Leave your ego at the door

I'll be supersetting OHP and curls in either the power cage or squat rack.

XVO46.gif
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    [4] Don't stare at the hot chicks in yoga pants (directly)
    [5] Never EVER interrupt someone who is in the middle of a set - wait until the set is complete. SERIOUSLY DON"T DO IT
    [7] Wipe up your sweat

Things to keep in mind:
    [3] Most advice is crap

squats- rows- OHP- and bench are totally okay in the power cage.

And to add. Don't exercise right on top of a rack. Pick your dumbbells off the rack, back up/move 6-8 paces backward or diagonal, commence workout. This way you don't make others with gym etiquette wait until after your set is done to pick other dumbbells off the rack.

nope- if you are there- I won't wait- I'll move right in on out- there is no reason- you're being rude- you shouldn't have set up- unless you're curling 100's I'm going to walk over and be rude and put mine away.

seriously- no reason to stand that close.

also "how many sets left" is code for- are you almost done- or can I work in- or how much time do you think you have left?

don't be afraid to ask- it's okay.
    bench is pushing it, but if your gym doesnt have any bench sets then i suppose its really the only option
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    [4] Don't stare at the hot chicks in yoga pants (directly)
    [5] Never EVER interrupt someone who is in the middle of a set - wait until the set is complete. SERIOUSLY DON"T DO IT
    [7] Wipe up your sweat

Things to keep in mind:
    [3] Most advice is crap

And to add. Don't exercise right on top of a rack. Pick your dumbbells off the rack, back up/move 6-8 paces backward or diagonal, commence workout. This way you don't make others with gym etiquette wait until after your set is done to pick other dumbbells off the rack.

nope- if you are there- I won't wait- I'll move right in on out- there is no reason- you're being rude- you shouldn't have set up- unless you're curling 100's I'm going to walk over and be rude and put mine away.

seriously- no reason to stand that close.

also "how many sets left" is code for- are you almost done- or can I work in- or how much time do you think you have left?

don't be afraid to ask- it's okay.
    bench is pushing it, but if your gym doesnt have any bench sets then i suppose its really the only option

floor bench- I know guys who do floor bench in there- but they are super nice- they wait- and they have no problems sharing- not douche's... but yeah- it's not something I would do- I'm WAY to lazy to be hauling a bench over there.

There is a guy at my gym who leaves a seated bench thing there for his sitting over head press- he does all his pressing in the power cage- it makes me a little crazy because he leaves the bench there.
  • ironrat79
    ironrat79 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    [5] Never EVER interrupt someone who is in the middle of a set - wait until the set is complete.
    [7] Wipe up your sweat

Things to keep in mind:
    [3] Most advice is crap

^^^^ this basically would keep you in my good graces and my addition is if your gym has a water fountain and if you're filling up a bottle and someone is waiting to get a quick drink, let them go before you finish
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Never try to take a plate off of a loaded barbell as someone is preparing to squat.

Yes, I've had that happen to me. I was like, DAFUQ?

amg really????? who that hell does that?

Some guy last year - obviously had no idea what he was doing. His friend saw what was going on and explained things to him. I don't think I've seen them since, though.
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options

Glad you said this, because I was totally debating on where to do those tomorrow. Figured power cage was good.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Don't hang out by say a bench press just chatting up someone else, when you know there's someone waiting to use it.
    If you are on one machine, you cannot also claim the bench press with your water bottle. I get it sucks to un-rack and re-rack, but it's not your personal equipment.
    Re-rack your weights.

Every time I go to my gym, it's horrendous. I spend 5-7 minutes putting weights away first. I get annoyed for a second, then I see it as an added workout. It's still a d!ckish thing to do, especially when they leave the 45# on the barbell...which lately they've been leaving it on just one side of the barbell...and leaving it on the ground.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Never try to take a plate off of a loaded barbell as someone is preparing to squat.

Yes, I've had that happen to me. I was like, DAFUQ?

amg really????? who that hell does that?

People who want to be smacked with a 20kg plate in the face do that.

that's what my man child said and he's not a lifter...haha...
  • judyde
    judyde Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Following.

What is a power cage?
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Following.

What is a power cage?

m-Legend-power-cage-3121.jpg
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Put your weights away
    Use the equipment as intended
    Don't hog multiple pieces of equipment
    Don't curl in the squat rack
    Squat in the squat rack (I guess this one is optional)

OHP in the power cage is acceptable use as well as squats.
    Honestly our gym only has one power cage and no extra olympic bars so many people use the power cage for squats, OHP, rows, deadlifts and a few other exercises.
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Question for all you lifting folks.

My gym only has one power cage, two flat bench press and one include bench press. There are no extra Olympic bars for ground work.

My Workout B consists of squats, OHP and deadlifts. I need the power cage for squats and OHP but I could use the bar from the power cage or one of the benches for deadlifts. Do you guys think its rude to use the only power cage for the entire workout?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I don't see the point of doing rows or DL's in the cage...esp if there is just one...

OHP I get, Benching if you don't have a spotter...and squats...but nothing else.

ETA: to be frank tho I workout at home but when I do go to the gym this summer I wont be DL or rowing in the cage...or benching I will ask for a spotter or take my husband.
  • wndrwmn86
    wndrwmn86 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Thanks y'all I appreciate all the advice. I think I got it down and can't wait to start my lifting in with my runs :drinker:
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    Question for all you lifting folks.

My gym only has one power cage, two flat bench press and one include bench press. There are no extra Olympic bars for ground work.

My Workout B consists of squats, OHP and deadlifts. I need the power cage for squats and OHP but I could use the bar from the power cage or one of the benches for deadlifts. Do you guys think its rude to use the only power cage for the entire workout?
    its not really needed for deads, id just grab a spare barbell and use it from the ground. that being said, if there are the same number of power cages as barbells you might as well just use the cage
  • ardorrequiem
    Options
    NO heavy perfume!! :sick:

THANK YOU. This one cannot be understated. We all know how uncomfortable it is to feel like you're the smelly kid, but dousing yourself in eau de fleur is just going to make you smell like a sweaty makeup stand.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I don't see the point of doing rows or DL's in the cage...esp if there is just one...

OHP I get, Benching if you don't have a spotter...and squats...but nothing else.

ETA: to be frank tho I workout at home but when I do go to the gym this summer I wont be DL or rowing in the cage...or benching I will ask for a spotter or take my husband.

I don't DL IN the cage- usually it happens right in front/near- but there is no issue with sharing honestly.

As for BB rows- I have done them else where- but it's easier off a squat rack- and it's rare anyone is waiting- I'll happily trade- move or work with someone wanting to squat if I"m rowing.

My only point was that it's not an immediate stink eye offense. like- you know- curls!
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    [7] Wipe up your sweat

Things to keep in mind:
    [3] Most advice is crap

If you are wearing yoga pants and you're hot, you have to expect at least a glance or two. Leering is bad form, though.

As Seinfeld said. It's like looking at the sun. You look quickly, memorize and then LOOK AWAY!
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    never .. EVER .. walking in front of someone working with a kettle bell - I can not count how many people I have almost killed ...and it freaks the living **** out of me
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Always wear sexy revealing clothing.