step counters

Options
32sami
32sami Posts: 380 Member
Found out my phone has one of those step counters. For those of you who log your steps, what's the average number you get in a day?

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Work has just given us pedometers for a monthly steps challenge, so I don't have much data to go on. Tuesday I had over 16,000 and yesterday I had over 17,000. Right now I'm at 8600, but I still have a mile to walk to my car, and then I'm headed to the gym. Although, those two days include gym *step equivalents* which uses an algorithm to figure out steps for certain exercises. 10 minutes on the elliptical gave me about 2000 steps, which is close to what the machine told me. 15 minutes of vigorous weight lifting gave me 2500, and that may be more of a random number.
  • 32sami
    Options
    That's a lot when you think about it. I've been at work for 7 1/2 hours and I'm at about 4300. Will see at the end of the day. :)
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I got one for Christmas the year before last. The novelty of it is fun, if only to see how many. I usually get between 10k and 20k depending on if it's a cardio day or not. I walk for activity at least 2.5 miles daily for about 7k steps and the rest comes from general walking about (to and from work, housekeeping, yard work, pacing between lifting sets). Higher days come from the periodic 20-30 minutes of jogging I do.

My biggest count day was over 75k because I made the mistake of wearing it during a long horseback ride that consisted almost entirely of riding at a trot.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    That's a lot when you think about it. I've been at work for 7 1/2 hours and I'm at about 4300. Will see at the end of the day. :)
    A few weeks ago my friends yelled at me that I need to find more ways to get extra steps in, so I added in a walk at lunch. It takes about 40 minutes, and gives me around 4500 steps. That REALLY helps. Other than that, I walk to my car in the afternoons, which is a mile, but once it gets really hot out, I'll probably forgo that (or, I'll need to change into my workout gear at work before leaving). A lot of it was little things. I park at the back of the parking lot (or on the wrong side of the grocery store near the stuff I don't need), I take the stairs at work (well, down at least; I'm not ready to walk up 10 flights of stairs), I take the stairs at home, etc.
  • 32sami
    Options
    I kept in it my pocket all day and when I finally plugged my phone in roughly about 8:30pm last night the count was 18,459. That's a typical day for me.