Why aren't "weight loss pills" working for me?

Options
2»

Replies

• collingmommy
    collingmommy Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Lol. On the drinking half a put of coffee thing and going to bed, me too.. and I don't have adhd. I think I'm just odd!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    All you are doing is damaging your digestive system, and not to mention raising your blood pressure. If you are still using them, I advise you to stop using them, and you should see a doctor. I am a personal trainer and health coach, and weight loss pills (or diet pills, if you will) are the LAST thing I would recommend. Instead, focus on the nutrition. Good nutrition will help you. Diet pills are not a good strategy, and the results you see from others who have claimed to use them are not always the truth.

Congratulations, you just told someone with ADHD meds to stop taking their pills, maybe you should read the post, Personal Trainer & Health Coach person.

Well, he did say weight loss/diet pills. OP isn't even taking the particular meds for that purpose. OP is taking prescrips with a side effect of "weight loss" but is out-eating the actual effect, which probably doesn't affect everyone equally anyway.

Like someone else said, she's gotta eat at a deficit like everyone else.
  • Biggirllittledreams
    Biggirllittledreams Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I believe that a decreased appetite is a SIDE EFFECT of some of the medication you listed. This particular side effect can result in weight loss. Side effects vary for everyone.

Well, everything about a psychotropic medication is a side effect- a side effect of anti-psychotics is a lack of psychotic symptoms, if you get my drift?

That being said- Wellbutrin is an anti-depressant, so many people who lose weight on it are people who rather over-eat (due to their depression, which is alleviated) or people who binge eat (since Wellbutrin is really good at helping to stopping compulsive behaviors). If you don't fall into those two categories, then you won't experience the weight loss.

If you actually have ADD/ADHD, the stimulant medications (as well as speed, actually) have the opposite effect on your brain. That's why it's dangerous for people without ADD/ADHD to take the medications for purposes like studying or weight loss; if your brain is normalized in terms of neurotransmitters and neurological electrical impulses, the medication speeds you up and puts many at risk for psychotic episodes.

Long story short: if you think that your inability to eat healthily is due to depression or a mental illness then medication MAY help you. If you're overeating for other reasons thinking that these medicines are going to be some sort of miracle, be warned that they would only screw up your stomach, brain activity, and hunger cues more so than they already are.
  • Biggirllittledreams
    Biggirllittledreams Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I think it's time to call your doctor. And maybe also start thinking about the approach you are taking concerning weight loss and pills.
    All you are doing is damaging your digestive system, and not to mention raising your blood pressure. If you are still using them, I advise you to stop using them, and you should see a doctor. I am a personal trainer and health coach, and weight loss pills (or diet pills, if you will) are the LAST thing I would recommend. Instead, focus on the nutrition. Good nutrition will help you. Diet pills are not a good strategy, and the results you see from others who have claimed to use them are not always the truth.
    I don't ever understand what the point of saying that is. Do you think it gives you more credibility?????

A degree in personal training does not equate to having any sort of licensing in dietetics.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options

You are seriously telling someone to stop taking ADHD medication???? They are not diet pills....they stated one of the SIDE EFFECTS is weight loss. Before you start raving on about diet pills read what the medication is..... it is PRESCRIBED medication.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    OP..... for your ADHD try taking Guarana tablets instead. Not only are they natural.... but they are a little better for you than the Ritalin (Both I and my son should know cause we both have ADHD & these work perfectly)

That will be one less medication you have to take but beware there are some side effects that are not so great IF they get you. IF they do.

Not saying they will. They dont seem to have gotten to me or my son at all & he's been on them since he was 10 (hes now 20)
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    When I was on anti-depressants in college it suppressed my appetite and I lost at least a size (went from an 8 to a 6). Believe me you DON'T want this. It wasn't "oh look how cute my butt looks and I feel great". It was more like "honey, did you remember to eat today?" Everyone else around the dining table would have a plate of food and I'd just nibble. It was like the food was fake to me. My sister straight out made me a separate meal at Thanksgiving dinner so I would be tempted by something. (Carrot Dill Soup, very rich, very yummy.) When Thanksgiving dinner doesn't get your stomach grumbling, something is wrong.

I wasn't sad anymore, but I also don't think I was really there anymore.
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options

Congratulations, you just told someone with ADHD meds to stop taking their pills, maybe you should read the post, Personal Trainer & Health Coach person.

I agree. Meds for ADHD can be an important component in living a normal life. These pills are not diet pills and react differently with ADHA patients. They also make their lives bearable.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,992 Member
    Options
    OP, regardless of the weight loss issue - I think it would be extremely foolish to stop taking your meds without medical advice.
    Medical advice from your doctor, not from strangers on the internet.

You only have 8lb to lose - set your rate at 1/2 lb per week and eat within your calorie allowance - that way you will lose weight.

If you have done this accurately for over a month and made no progress, see your doctor.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    because you are eating too much.
    THIS. Drugs are a "supplemental" help. One loses weight by being in calorie deficit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • aldenxnedla
    aldenxnedla Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    They're not working because they're not diet pills. Anything that claims to be a diet pill, which Wellbutrin doesn't even do, is a scam. There's no short cut to losing weight. If you do happen to lose some as a result of using drugs, you have to either keep using the drugs to keep the weight off, or gain it back when you stop taking them. To address your "out of control" hunger, you have to regulate your metabolism. Eat small portions of healthy food multiple times throughout the day. It'll be hard for a while, but losing weight isn't easy. There's no way around it.
  • Loralrose
    Loralrose Posts: 203
    Options
    OP, have you considered that your hunger might be from quitting smoking? I don't know when you quit but a lot of people gain weight right after they kick the cigarettes.

As for the ADHD meds... I've never had the usual side effects from them. Methyphenadate (ritalin) is supposed to have side effects of insomnia, appetite loss, and anxiety. Instead it helps me sleep, remember to eat regularly, and calm down. Everyone's brain is a little different, that's why finding the right meds is such a challenge in the first place.

If you've found medication that lets you manage your ADHD symptoms, isn't that good enough? Don't fret that one of the tiny little side things about it doesn't happen. You aren't taking it to lose weight, you're taking it to manage a psychiatric condition.