I bought carrots... Forgot how gross they were

Options

Replies

• suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I do have yummy recipe for carrots, but eating them that way. doesnt help the fact that carrots are low in calorie LOL
    Carrot Halwa: Its indian dessert, mixed with loads of ghee(clarified butter), sugar and cream :P
    Google Carrot/Gajar halwa and you will see
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    They are also great in Moroccan Chicken, a slow cooker dish.

4 chicken quarters
    1 C chopped/baby carrots
    1 can chickpeas
    1 c raisins
    lemon wedges (you throw these out when its all cooked)
    a little salt, pepper, lemon juice, honey, garlic and cinnamon to taste

Sear the chicken quarters in a pan with a little olive oil, then throw everything in a slow cooker or deep skillet. Simmer until carrots are tender and chicken is cooked through. Eat as is, or serve over rice. Seriously my favorite dish ever!

Sounds awesome!!
    2qwmq2o.jpg
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I have a theory but I cannot confirm it.

Did Carissa give them to you?
  • AmandaLY17
    AmandaLY17 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Raw carrots are amazing this topic makes 0 sense to me lol. Hummus was a good suggestion, ranch if your calories permit it.

If you don't like them, but need them in your diet you can shred them up and garnish a salad with them.

Edit: If you must cook carrots then cook them in bourbon. Something about whiskey and carrots is mind blowing.

Seriously? Carrots in bourbon?! I must try this!
    I second Moroccan dish, carrot/cumin combo, carrot/butter and sugar combo
    dont know if it was mentioned... butter, ginger, maple combo
    I love them shredded into some sort of slaw- bonus points if it has raisins!
    Hummus is disgusting and should never be consumed... blech
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I like carrots so I may not be any help. I adore carrot cake though. Also any kind of preparation that involves cooking them with meat-- like with a roast or in the bottom of a pan under some chicken thighs. Mmmmm.
  • tlcarolinagirl
    tlcarolinagirl Posts: 1,700 Member
    Options
    Ranch dressing...mmmmmhmmm
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I'm with you OP.I hate carrots..especially cooked ones.

My grandmother used to serve lime jello with shredded carrots in it..totally gross.
  • RinnyLush
    RinnyLush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I love carrots, so you'll get no complaints from me. I just finished a bowl of plain carrot sticks now! These, however are my favourite ways to eat them:

1) Tossed with oil and spices, then roasted in the oven or grilled on the BBQ.
    2) Thinly sliced and sauteed in coconut oil with garlic salt and pepper.
    3) Dipped in hummus or tzatziki.
    4) Slowcooked in vegetable soup or chili.

:love:
  • nurit1979
    nurit1979 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    cooked carrots are disgusting! Raw carrots are okay though. I agree with the ranch suggestion.
  • RinnyLush
    RinnyLush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    My grandmother used to serve lime jello with shredded carrots in it..totally gross.

That sounds like sadness in jell-o form. Yuck. :brokenheart:
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    Baby carrots are gross to me but a regular old carrot is delicious all by itself.

baby carrots are just regular carrots shaved down.

i know i just blew your mind. sorry.

Don't do that Brainy...with your logic and truths and stuff!
    erk7wi.jpg

http://imgur.com/gallery/gol5S <-- the whole conspiracy exposed!

47SmrSb.gif
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Now I want carrot cake. Sabotage! :grumble:
  • projectxreborn
    Options
    My son hates anything vegetable so I have to sneak them in. I put grated carrot in spaghetti sauce (meatless or not)
    low fat carrot muffins, on salad, soups (puree if you have to!), chili (meatless or not)...I find pairing carrots with dill
    really good too. :)
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    My son hates anything vegetable so I have to sneak them in. I put grated carrot in spaghetti sauce (meatless or not)
    low fat carrot muffins, on salad, soups (puree if you have to!), chili (meatless or not)...I find pairing carrots with dill
    really good too. :)

How do you know that's actually spaghetti sauce?
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    steam them...add honey...next caller.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Cook them in whatever way you see fit and then give them to someone who likes carrots. Simple.

Or you can do what I do and eat with with a bite of meat to mask the awful taste
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Baby carrots are gross to me but a regular old carrot is delicious all by itself.

baby carrots are just regular carrots shaved down.

i know i just blew your mind. sorry.

LOL. I was *just* thinking this.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,713 Member
    Options
    I like caramelized carrots. Recipe from memory of Elizabeth David's book on French Provincial Food.

Boil around 500 g ( about 1 lb) of chopped carrots in just enough water to barely cover. Add a tablespoon or two of sugar, a tiny pinch of salt and a teaspoon of butter. Boil furiously with the lid off until all the water boils off. Keep cooking at a lower heat until the carrots caramelize, stirring constantly. Once the carrots get a little charred around the edges, take off the heat and serve. Can be made in advance and reheated either on the stove or in the microwave.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I steam them then toss them with a bit of butter, dill and garlic - yum
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    My solution to all vegetables....roast them with some olive oil, salt/pepper.