Sushi calories

Options
breakyoface
breakyoface Posts: 160 Member
I have just started getting into sushi and today I went out to eat at a new place and had 6 pieces of California roll and 4 pieces of shrimp tempura, which looked like only 2 pieces had the shrimp with tempura on it. Anyone have more experience in sushi to see about how much calories that was? The shrimp one had some pinkish sauce and brown sauce on it, which I tried to wipe off as much as I could. Of course guessing is part of the game, but I want to guess as close as possible!

Replies

• Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Try google to get a closer approximation since you're better equipped to make the guestimation based one what you saw in it as you ate it. I've done it before with sushi.

Delicious, delicious sushi.
  • GretaGirl8
    GretaGirl8 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    this website appears to be pretty accurate.
    http://www.sushifaq.com/sushi-health/calories-in-sushi/

i try to avoid the california roll and stick to a plain fish roll (like salmon or tuna) and/or opt for a plain veggie roll (cucumber, asparagus, daikon radish).

the more bells and whistles the roll has (like sauces, sesame seeds, fried bits of this and that) the more calories and the more difficult to assess calorie content.
  • jss150
    jss150 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I recommend you try Sashimi (the fish without the rice) and stay away from anything with crispy or tempura in the name. Crispy or Tempura equals fried!

It can be a great low fat meal that is high in Omega 3's. Enjoy!
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much Greta for the link! I have always wondered.... Now at least I can figure out a good guess - I only eat vegetable rolls, so now I know some of the estimates I was using are at least in the ballpark.
  • bkw99508
    bkw99508 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I find the following link helpful. :)

http://www.sushifaq.com/sushi-health/calories-in-sushi/

*oops...I'm just repeating a post above. Sorry!
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    I recommend you try Sashimi (the fish without the rice) and stay away from anything with crispy or tempura in the name. Crispy or Tempura equals fried!

It can be a great low fat meal that is high in Omega 3's. Enjoy!

meh....mediocre advice.

while i very much enjoy sashimi as well, there is nothing inherently "unhealthy" with maki.
    in fact, they can be a great balance of macros.

and as far as tempura goes...IIFYM.

enjoy!
  • breakyoface
    breakyoface Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info everyone! I'm going on an extra walk today to help in case I underestimated! lol
  • GretaGirl8
    GretaGirl8 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info everyone! I'm going on an extra walk today to help in case I underestimated! lol

:) don't forget to use wasabi...that is the best part!
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I love sushi!!

Honestly.. I just guess.. or I order sashimi for a closer guestimate.

mmmmmm.. now i want some..

Why isn't today pay day :grumble: