?? lifting weights??? How a woman should start?

Options
Okay so I have not loss all the weight i want to yet but I was thinking about trying out lifting. Well at least I think thats what I would be doing. I dont have a gym membership all my work outs are done at home. So I have never lifted weights !!!! NEVER!!!! but the amazing husband just recently bought me a set of 3lb,5lb,and 10lb weights. If I was to use these would it be enought to even change my body? If yes...what should i be doing and how much or often? Any advice would be helpful...thanks

Replies

• _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I started with Stronglifts 5x5
    www.stronglifts.com
    It has a free phone app. It's pretty simple and to the point. It's free.

There's also a program called New Rules of Lifting for Women - it's a book with diet/lifting plan.

ETA:
    Here's a stronglifts women's group here
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can see changes with the weights you have. You'll see more definition with heavier weights. I started with 3-5 pound dumbbells and now I use 12-20 pound dumbells and 30 pound dumbells for just a few reps. You can do it. Start where you're at. Start with the weight that feels comfortable to you. You want good form. Don't worry too much about the pounds right now. Just get used to lifting. When you're stronger, you can move to heavier weights and you wont bulk up. Trust me. I'm not bulky at all
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    With those dumbells look up convict training or bodyweight fitness...I started with JM 30DS and found fitnessblender.com has lots of bodyweight stuff..

If you want to get into serious lifting you will need a barbell and plates...along with a bench and for safety a rack of some sort.