Is My Goal Reasonable?

Options
arijo7
arijo7 Posts: 35 Member
I started my weight loss goal on March 3rd. My plan was to lose 50 pounds by the beginning of September, so I had 6 months. So far, I have lost 19 pounds and I have 4 months left to lose the other 31. Is that reasonable? My weight loss has been slowing down a bit. I'm looking for facts or opinions, whatever will help. Thanks :)

Replies

• broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I guess it just depends. I have 30 left to lose and I am aiming to have it lost by Jan 1, 2015. It just comes off slower the less you have to lose.
  • katimorris87
    katimorris87 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    That's a little less than 2 lbs a week which is totally doable, but to get a consistent 2lbs a week can get tough. Good news is you can get the results you work for!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    It has taken me over a year to lose just under 50lbs..

Started with 1lb a week...moved down to 1/2lb a week when I hit 25lb...I have averaged about 3/4lb a week from June till now...

So I say no it's not reasonable...not because it took me longer but because 2lbs a week would require a big deficet which leads to muscle loss, hunger and usually failure due to the deprivation.
  • emaybe
    emaybe Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    It depends on a handful of things... your age, current weight, commitment level. If you're absolutely determined, eating well, hitting all your goals and working your *kitten* off activity-wise, you can absolutely do it. It will get harder the closer you get to goal, however. You may be surprised how much better you start feeling about the way you look when you get closer to your goal, though, and not be so concerned about hitting that target number on a target day. Happened to me the last time I was doing well... My goal was 135 and I only made it down to about 158 before I was shocked at how I needed new clothes and how much better I felt about myself. Just keep at it and see where the journey takes you. :)
  • DoNotSpamMe73
    DoNotSpamMe73 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with that I'll be trying to lose 13-15kg more by late July. I should manage that so leaving it to September? Easy.
  • DoNotSpamMe73
    DoNotSpamMe73 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with that I'll be trying to lose 13-15kg more by late July. I should manage that so leaving it to September? Easy.

I've lost 13-15kg (fluctuating right now). I noticed my weight thing wasn't showing.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I started my weight loss goal on March 3rd. My plan was to lose 50 pounds by the beginning of September, so I had 6 months. So far, I have lost 19 pounds and I have 4 months left to lose the other 31. Is that reasonable? My weight loss has been slowing down a bit. I'm looking for facts or opinions, whatever will help. Thanks :)

With 30 lbs left to lose, if you want it to keep sustaining well, you should probably change your goal loss amount to 1.5 lb weekly for more reasonable.
    At 20 lbs left switch to 1 lb weekly.
    at 10 - 0.5.

As someone else commented, the loss has slowed already - but not because you made a purposeful change to cause it - your body did on it's own.

Don't force it to slow you down even more or the aggravation and stress will make it even harder to lose the weight.

1.5 lb weekly, log your exercise, and meet the daily goal given to you by MFP.
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Reasonable. I've lost faster than that, and your loss fits well within the recommended 1-2lbs/week.

> 2lbs a week would require a big deficet which leads to muscle loss

Certainly! The last time I dropped 50lbs, I lost about 37.5lbs of fat and 12.5lbs of muscle. The net result was positive, however.. a lower weight, a lower body fat %, and less "body" for those muscles to move.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    It's certainly not unreasonable. Kind of depends on how much fat is left on your frame after the 50 pounds. Basically, if 50 pounds is getting down to super-lean, those last 10 pounds or so are going to hang on a lot harder than the first 10.

Just go for it, and don't be disapponted if you don't quite get there...often a goal needs to be adjusted once you start getting close to it.