1 tainer says this......antoher trainer says that...??

Options
So confused!!
I am new here and looking for some direction! I attend a boot camp 3 days a week, we mainly do strength training with interval cardio bursts. He says that I burn any where from 700-1000 calories during the 60 minute work out.
Well a friend of mine is also a personal trainer and she has been to the boot camp and she says at best I might do 500 ugh I know that a heart rate monitor would be the ultimate answer but just not in the budget till next month and I am totally struggling with what to use for my exercise because I do not want to over eat my calories. I have just been using the 450 calorie number to be safe.
Can anyone lend any advice for this?

Replies

• sallyLunn
    sallyLunn Posts: 381
    Options
    I have no basis whatsoever for saying this, but if it were me, I would split the difference between the 700 and the 500 thus going with 600...I lazy like that.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Itd seems to me that 700 to 1000 calories is a bit too much. Of course verrything depends on your weight and type of exercise, and the effort/intensity of your work out. Most likely that your friend is correct and that you burn close to 500 calories.

I think that is better to underestimate exercises calories until you get your HRM. Congratulations for your efforts!
  • tinyliz
    tinyliz Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Itd seems to me that 700 to 1000 calories is a bit too much. Of course verrything depends on your weight and type of exercise, and the effort/intensity of your work out. Most likely that your friend is correct and that you burn close to 500 calories.

I think that is better to underestimate exercises calories until you get your HRM. Congratulations for your efforts!
    I wouldn't count on it. Even if you are dripping sweat and feel like you are going to throw up the entire time because of how hard you are working out, its not likely that you are burning that much. I'd say around 500 aswell, I would'nt tack on any more until you find out for sure, otherwise you'll be cheating yourself if you log that you burned more then you really have.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    500- listen to the people.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options

I wouldn't count on it. Even if you are dripping sweat and feel like you are going to throw up the entire time because of how hard you are working out, its not likely that you are burning that much. I'd say around 500 aswell, I would'nt tack on any more until you find out for sure, otherwise you'll be cheating yourself if you log that you burned more then you really have.

I second this, completely.

One of the main bugbears of weightloss is that consumption of food and drink is often UNDERestimated, whereas exercise is very often OVERESTIMATED. If these same people eat all of their exercise calories, they are eating far too many for their daily intake. Then of course, the weight loss stops or, horror of horrors, they actually start to gain and cannot understand why.

There is an easy remedy to this: Firstly, record EVERYTHING and stick to the daily calorie allowance allocated. Secondly, UNDERestimate exercise calories burned and ONLY ever record workouts, everything else, leave. This way, you will never be at risk of accidentally going over your calorie allowance.

Therefore, to the original poster, I can virtually guarantee that 700-1000 calories burned for an hour doing what you are doing is way over the estimate. To burn 1000 calories in an hour, a person would need to run around 9mph for a solid hour, no stopping. 9mph = 14.4kph, that's a damned fast pace. You are totally correct in using the lower figure of 450 calories, you will always be safe doing it that way and your weight will simply fall off.

Wishing you all the very best :flowerforyou:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    ANY attempt to calculate this based on anything other than direct observation (either via a HRM or Perceived rate of Exertion) is futile and really will give you nothing more than a guess.

It could be 500 calories, then again it could be well in excess of 800 calories as well.

For instance, I ran 4 miles yesterday (32 minutes), and my calorie burn minus resting calories was 490. Thus an hour of running at a similar pace (about 83% max HR average) would be well over 900 (even if I had to take it down 1/2 a notch to run the 8 miles).

On the other hand, my wife goes to an advanced spin class for an hour, averages above 80% max HR and only burns 550 calories.
    As you can see, it can be all over the place. There's really no way for us to give you a solid answer, the best route is an HRM.
  • SassyStef
    SassyStef Posts: 413
    Options
    Thanks everyone for you replies!!! I have been using the lower 450 for now. I am headed to buy me a heart rate monitor today!! I have gained 2lbs so I am not doing something right! UGH