RUNNING: what makes you stop ....

Options

Replies

• tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    You're right, I've only recently started. But actually there is motivation behind the question in that I had my first ever asthma attack at the weekend (at home, not exercise induced) and I'm keen to figure out whether lung capacity is something that is a common reason for people to stop or if my lungs are a bit weak and something I need to be aware of. Carrying on until I've finished what I planned to do is not currently an option as I need to be sensible with my health, but I'm trying to establish how far I can push things.

This hardly should be the case - unless you're running beyond your sustainable pace! That's how you get faster, but it's not really desirable to push the pace every day. There's speed work, endurance days, and even easy/recovery runs.
  • melnorwich
    melnorwich Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    For a 39-year-old woman who is trying to increase running distance, your heart rate should stay mostly in the 145-158 range, slowing down or speeding up as needed. When you start working on speed you'll want to train in other heart rate ranges but this is the beginner range for increasing endurance and developing muscle/joint/bone strength.

Have you looked into couch to 5k at all?

Thanks for this. I've been running at 7.5 kph for 8 minutes as this is what my personal trainer pushed me towards. I did look at the NHS couch to 5K programme, but haven't really considered intervals as I thought it would be better to do it in one block if needed. I'll give this a go though as my heart rate goes much higher than the levels you suggest.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Heart rates are funny things. What is the "right" range for one person doesn't necessarily fit anyone else. Even the "max heart rate" formulae don't fit everyone. Your heart rate will improve for the same perceived exertion level as your fitness improves. As long as you don't feel nauseated, dizzy, start to blackout, etc ... you're probably ok. Your body will let you know if you're pushing too hard.
  • moondazed
    moondazed Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I run until I'm out of breathe and (sometimes) when I feel like I'm going to throw up! I usually take a small walk, feel better, and then start running again. I wish I could run endlessly but my lungs simply do not allow it.
  • FitMe758
    FitMe758 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    "I'm so out of shape I can't breathe" This!!!

I'm doing C25k right now using a phone app. I've managed to complete the running cycles as prompted thus far, but sometimes it is very, very hard bc I start feeling totally out of breath and I almost feel like I am running backwards.
    BUT, the good news is that the past two times have been considerable easier even though the running cycles have been longer. So I guess I am making progress.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this. I've been running at 7.5 kph for 8 minutes as this is what my personal trainer pushed me towards. I did look at the NHS couch to 5K programme, but haven't really considered intervals as I thought it would be better to do it in one block if needed. I'll give this a go though as my heart rate goes much higher than the levels you suggest.

On a treadmill I get bored in minutes, outside I'll comfortably run for up to 3 hours or so.

I would recommend the C25K plan, and personally I used the NHS podcasts. I'd agree with others that you need to slow your pace a little until your comfortable running for the longer period. With distance comes speed, but it doesn't work the other way round. One of the benefits of running outside, for me, is that I can vary the pace without needing to slow to a walk.

Essentially your endurance improves more if you run at a steady 6 to 6.5 kph for 20 minutes than two intervals of 7.5kph for 8 minutes with a walk break.

I wouldn't worry too much about heart rate, zone training is more advanced than you need, so just work on the basis of perceived exertion until you can consistently run for 30 minutes.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I run until I'm out of breathe and (sometimes) when I feel like I'm going to throw up! I usually take a small walk, feel better, and then start running again. I wish I could run endlessly but my lungs simply do not allow it.

Slow your pace down.

I only end up feeling like that when I intentionally go out and do a high intensity interval session.

Going too fast seems to be a very common problem for new runners. The point is to finish the session, not break yourself.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    If you have only just started running, then you need to build a good baseline fitness.

Seems to me if your HR is 170 - you're running too fast .... forget that "There's no gain without pain myth" .. Slow it down and run further and longer and get way more benefit.
  • Shropshire1959
    Options

Slow your pace down.

I only end up feeling like that when I intentionally go out and do a high intensity interval session.

Going too fast seems to be a very common problem for new runners. The point is to finish the session, not break yourself.

^^THIS +1
  • michable
    michable Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Snake on the path will make me stop running, although sometimes I do run on the spot while working out how to get past it so I can continue my run.

Besides snakes on the path, when I go out for a run, I have a goal in mind (distance or time), and I run at a pace that I can sustain until I have run the scheduled distance or time.

When I first started running, I had to walk after about 1 min and 22 sec (I still remember the time even though it was over 10 years ago). I remember thinking how rubbish I was that I couldn't even run 2 minutes, which was the recommended interval. But I was amazed at how quickly I was able to build up to running 30 minutes at a stretch. And initially, I was trying to run too fast. When you work out how to run slower, you will be amazed at how much longer you can run.
  • Shropshire1959
    Options
    Oh and the other thing that makes me stop - annoying people asking me for directions when I'm out for a run .... WTF people - ask someone else can't you see I'm busy?
  • Refrigerator1
    Refrigerator1 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Heart rates are funny things. What is the "right" range for one person doesn't necessarily fit anyone else. Even the "max heart rate" formulae don't fit everyone. Your heart rate will improve for the same perceived exertion level as your fitness improves. As long as you don't feel nauseated, dizzy, start to blackout, etc ... you're probably ok. Your body will let you know if you're pushing too hard.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    That pace is pretty fast for a beginner. I personally would go outdoors and do the c25k program to build up your time running. I wouldn't be able to run long at all on a treadmill due to the boredom. Outdoors is so much more enjoyable. Unless you have a heart condition you don't really need to worry about your heart rate, I have no idea what mine is when I run.
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Calculate your maximum heart rate, and reduce your running speed until your heart rate is at 70% to 80% You'll be able to run longer.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    I don't think I have seen this:

Lately what has limited me on my long runs is the beginnings of knee pain. I developed patellofemoral syndrome shortly after starting to run and am afraid that I will push to far too fast (well, not really too fast). That is what sidelined me in the first place.

Last night I ran 8.5 miles, my legs weren't tired, and I wasn't winded or breathing hard, but the last lap around my block I could feel the ache in my right knee so I knew it was time to stop.

Normal people will likely be able to do a long run long than I am able to at this point. I need more time to strengthen my tendons/ligaments/muscles/bones.
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I don't stop until I have completed my scheduled training run.

hell yeah!!

Same. Usually I think the treadmill would turn off before my legs give out. Kinda annoying. Usually I have to restart the treadmill multiple times. Training for a marathon in a Minnesota winter can be rough. Furthest I've gone on a TM!"? 22 miles ~7:45 pace
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Dem legs.. after my run time is over
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I'll take walk breaks during long runs about once per mile because long runs are long. And I have problems with my knees, so if I'm doing big hills, I'll walk up half of them. But I try to run without stopping on my 2-3 mile runs because it's more of a mental issue than a physical one for runs of that length.

That being said, I'm also breaking in a new pair of shoes right now, so I will stop frequently on my short runs for now to adjust because I'm still trying to get them loose enough. I run with my shoes tied pretty loosely (and never retie them after I get them to an ideal fit) because my feet swell a lot when I run, so getting them to the right looseness takes quite a few tries.
  • PrairieRunner2015
    PrairieRunner2015 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Given the nature of this question, I'm assuming you're new to running, or just don't know what you're really doing with it.

Slow down. Running to the point of that kind of exhaustion is unnecessary and pointless, unless you're doing LT work, which I doubt.

Heed this advice. It sounds like you are trying to build mileage too quickly, as well as going at too fast of a pace. Doing one increases your chance of an injury, doing both is asking for an injury.

Do a search for the thread "So you want to start running". It has a lot of great advice.