Is my theory wrong?

Options
soze
soze Posts: 604 Member
I've heard if I lose weight I not only lose fat but muscle. So I've started lifting weights plus doing cardio. My theory is that if I have more muscle I burn more calories and thus get fit and lose weight. Where am I wrong?

Replies

• HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    I've heard if I lose weight I not only lose fat but muscle. So I've started lifting weights plus doing cardio. My theory is that if I have more muscle I burn more calories and thus get fit and lose weight. Where am I wrong?
    I don't know that you are wrong in your thought process. It's true strength training does help build muscle, which boosts your metabolism which helps burn the cals... Sounds to me like you're on the right track:wink::drinker:
  • dawn_eichert
    dawn_eichert Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I don't think you are wrong. It is good to put strength training in with the cardio as muscle increases you metabolism. Sounds like sound logic to me.
    Keep it up!!
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    The only way you will loose mucle when trying to burn fat is by not getting enough protien.
  • RDTaylor13
    Options
    no your theory isn't wrong. but you have to remember, that muscle weights more than fat. so you may lose inches of fat, but your weight may stay the same, or increase.
  • DoreenN
    DoreenN Posts: 60
    Options
    You are right. A combination of both strength training and cardio is the way to go. But sometimes when you start lifting weights you wont see a change in your weight just in the inches. And remember muscle burns more calories than fat
  • dragonfly__
    dragonfly__ Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Nope not wrong. The more lean muscle you have the higher your BMR will be. This is the amount of kcals you burn while at rest. So adding weights to your exercise along with the cardio you are already doing will help your weight loss efforts!
  • soze
    soze Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys and gals! I was told differently on another board and it set me back some. It wasn't a food board btw.

BTW. I'm full and have only eaten 1533 calories. I finally had some meat today. I'm thinking grilled Salmon tomorrow. I love fish. I have to see how many calories we're talking about.
  • jimmydeanbakker
    Options
    When losing weight, you'll have some muscle loss, and that's the reason body builders take all those steroids. They want as little muscle loss as possible when they start the ripping process. In order to maintain as much muscle as possible without the use of drugs, one must increase their protein, lift weights, walk, and never run. Running tends to tear down the muscles, and walking helps build up the muscles.
  • maccabeth
    maccabeth Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    When losing weight, you'll have some muscle loss, and that's the reason body builders take all those steroids. They want as little muscle loss as possible when they start the ripping process. In order to maintain as much muscle as possible without the use of drugs, one must increase their protein, lift weights, walk, and never run. Running tends to tear down the muscles, and walking helps build up the muscles.

Uh, my muscular legs would say otherwise about the running! If you want to get technical, weight training IS tearing down the muscles. That's what you are doing when you weight train. Then the muscle builds itself back stronger and stronger each time. Sort of the point!
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options

You will burn fat for energy, that is why we have it stored. Regarding burning muscle, you can't. However, the body can start to eat its own muscle once there is a very, very low percentage of fat left, (around 5%).

If everytime somebody lost weight, they were burning muscle, there would be millions of people out there that were exercising like crazy, but looking a most peculiar shape and we know that is not true.

Do your cardio, lift your weights, eat your protein, vitamins and minerals, drink your fluids, get lots of sleep and you will be nice and fit and toned. Do not bog down your brain with scientific stuff, your body knows exactly what it is doing, your job it to move it about and make it does it and you appear to be doing exactly the right thing, seriously :flowerforyou:
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options

:huh:
    Oi, nothing wrong with running, I will defend running to the end!

Take a look at a sprinter's legs and tell me they are tearing down their muscles. Some sprinter's will have been doing weights, but not all of them.

ANY exercise builds and tones muscles. Everytime we exercise, we tear tiny muscle fibres. These tears are then repaired, which is one of the reasons why, when doing any type of exercise we need protein, without protein there will be no repairs and worse. As they are repaired they are growing and toning.

Running is exercise, the muscle fibres tear and are repaired, the same as walking.
  • jimmydeanbakker
    Options

Uh, my muscular legs would say otherwise about the running! If you want to get technical, weight training IS tearing down the muscles. That's what you are doing when you weight train. Then the muscle builds itself back stronger and stronger each time. Sort of the point!

I run quite a bit, and yes, my legs are muscular, but with the running and dieting, I am not near as strong as I was a year ago. I was bench pressing nearly three hundred pounds eight times last year, but this year I can barely push up two-twenty-five five times. I'm basically saying that I've had some strength loss. If I had done the weight loss by walking, lifting weights, and eating a high protein diet, my strength wouldn't have eroded so much.
  • jimmydeanbakker
    Options

Take a look at a sprinter's legs and tell me they are tearing down their muscles. Some sprinter's will have been doing weights, but not all of them.

ANY exercise builds and tones muscles. Everytime we exercise, we tear tiny muscle fibres. These tears are then repaired, which is one of the reasons why, when doing any type of exercise we need protein, without protein there will be no repairs and worse. As they are repaired they are growing and toning.

Running is exercise, the muscle fibres tear and are repaired, the same as walking.

Don't get me wrong, I run and I run a lot. I'm actually talking about running, losing weight, and strength loss. And when I say running, I am talking about running to lose weight. There is strength loss when running long distances. That's why when I use to weight lift seriously, I did very little running, but a whole lot of walking on an incline. So, depending on a person's goals, running may not be the best option.
  • Dragonfly11
    Dragonfly11 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    :heart:

You will burn fat for energy, that is why we have it stored. Regarding burning muscle, you can't. However, the body can start to eat its own muscle once there is a very, very low percentage of fat left, (around 5%).

If everytime somebody lost weight, they were burning muscle, there would be millions of people out there that were exercising like crazy, but looking a most peculiar shape and we know that is not true.

Do your cardio, lift your weights, eat your protein, vitamins and minerals, drink your fluids, get lots of sleep and you will be nice and fit and toned. Do not bog down your brain with scientific stuff, your body knows exactly what it is doing, your job it to move it about and make it does it and you appear to be doing exactly the right thing, seriously :flowerforyou:

This makes sense to me - keep it simple and be consistent in your efforts. You will become the change you seek. Keep up the great job:drinker:

Janet
  • Dragonfly11
    Dragonfly11 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I just got back from a walk/run - 53 minutes - I combine both: heart rate up .. then bring it down ...up... then down. I feel great burned 425 cls per the HRM which is good for me and my knees aren't screaming:laugh:

Hurray to all of us trying to do something to better ourselves today- we'll be better wives, husbands, parents, family members, employees for our efforts. The changes in us touch those around us.....in a good way!!!

Have an outstanding weekend
    Janet:heart:
  • maccabeth
    maccabeth Posts: 111 Member
    Options

Don't get me wrong, I run and I run a lot. I'm actually talking about running, losing weight, and strength loss. And when I say running, I am talking about running to lose weight. There is strength loss when running long distances. That's why when I use to weight lift seriously, I did very little running, but a whole lot of walking on an incline. So, depending on a person's goals, running may not be the best option.

Your logic is flawed. How would running and walking be different weight loss wise? In fact, in an hour of running vs. an hour of walking, you would be burning more calories running (of course!) The reason you have lost strength is because you are not lifting as much. If you stop running, you will lose running fitness. Running more does not cause loss of weight training strength! Lifting less does!

In fact, I have been running the entire time I've been here at MFP, plus lifting weights (more this summer than recently). I've lost over 20lbs (I lost a few before I started here). I do not walk for fitness ever. My muscles are just fine. :) Oh, and I'm vegetarian on top of it!! lol
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

Sprinters do very little aerobic exercise. When Florence Griffith Joyner ran a 5K, she could barely break 22 minutes. Plus, the good ones are genetically endowed with a high percentage of Type IIb muscle fibers.

All exercise results in muscle adaptation--just not the same kind. The adaptation is specific to the type of activity being performed and that's it. Initial adaptation is neural--the body "learns" to recruit muscle fibers in ways that generate the force needed to meet the demands of the activity. As a result of training, increased storage of water, glycogen, etc might result is a measurable increase in "mass" even though the muscle fibers have not increased in size.

Sustained training at the appropriate volume and intensity, combined with diet, can result in the actual growth of the muscle itself. This does not automatically happen with every type of exercise.

Running and walking result in very little increase in actual muscle size. In fact, many runners over 30 begin to experience an relative weakening of the quadriceps muscles compared to the hamstrings which is probably the more frequent cause of knee pain.

Compared to a completely sedentary person, yes, running and walking will result in significant increases in strength, but the adaptation only occurs to the degree necessary to meet the demands of running, which are relatively low. In no way can running, walking, or any type of aerobic exercise be compared to focused resistance training.

There is no difference between running and walking except intensity and rate of calories burned per unit of time.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options

Sprinters do very little aerobic exercise. When Florence Griffith Joyner ran a 5K, she could barely break 22 minutes. Plus, the good ones are genetically endowed with a high percentage of Type IIb muscle fibers.

All exercise results in muscle adaptation--just not the same kind. The adaptation is specific to the type of activity being performed and that's it. Initial adaptation is neural--the body "learns" to recruit muscle fibers in ways that generate the force needed to meet the demands of the activity. As a result of training, increased storage of water, glycogen, etc might result is a measurable increase in "mass" even though the muscle fibers have not increased in size.

Sustained training at the appropriate volume and intensity, combined with diet, can result in the actual growth of the muscle itself. This does not automatically happen with every type of exercise.

Running and walking result in very little increase in actual muscle size. In fact, many runners over 30 begin to experience an relative weakening of the quadriceps muscles compared to the hamstrings which is probably the more frequent cause of knee pain.

Compared to a completely sedentary person, yes, running and walking will result in significant increases in strength, but the adaptation only occurs to the degree necessary to meet the demands of running, which are relatively low. In no way can running, walking, or any type of aerobic exercise be compared to focused resistance training.

There is no difference between running and walking except intensity and rate of calories burned per unit of time.
    bump
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys and gals! I was told differently on another board and it set me back some. It wasn't a food board btw.

BTW. I'm full and have only eaten 1533 calories. I finally had some meat today. I'm thinking grilled Salmon tomorrow. I love fish. I have to see how many calories we're talking about.

You might want to research macronutrients and find a good ratio for you.
  • RDTaylor13
    Options

I run quite a bit, and yes, my legs are muscular, but with the running and dieting, I am not near as strong as I was a year ago. I was bench pressing nearly three hundred pounds eight times last year, but this year I can barely push up two-twenty-five five times. I'm basically saying that I've had some strength loss. If I had done the weight loss by walking, lifting weights, and eating a high protein diet, my strength wouldn't have eroded so much.

I think your a little mixed up. your saying that running has caused you to lose strength. in your example you say you could bench press 300 lbs. but now after a lot of "running" you can barely bench 225 lbs. your logic fails since running exercises your legs, not your arms.