How to hit protein macro?

Options
jamiesokd
jamiesokd Posts: 99 Member
Besides the obvious "eat more protein" , lol, I need help on hitting my protein macro. I never come even close! I had Greek yogurt for breakfast, no protein with lunch (I was stuck at work) but then are two servings of protein at supper - and I still have to find 50 odd grams of protein for the day! Do I just need to eat way more meat? I would love any suggestions!

eTA: I am trying to hit 131g a day according to MFP - so an extra piece of deli ham won't cut it. ;)

Replies

• Booda101
    Booda101 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Chicken and fish are both good sources of protein. However whey protein will do in a pinch. I've been adding 1-2 protein drinks a day for the last month to help hit my macros.
  • chaNyn613
    chaNyn613 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes, bars, cheeses sticks, deli slices of turkey, imitation cab meat, tuna.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    And this : http://www.rippedrecipes.com
    proteinpow.com

Enjoy Part2.
  • _Terrapin_
    Options
    And read this : http://www.jssm.org/vol3/n3/2/v3n3-2pdf.pdf
    article: Best protein source?

Part 3 AND>>>>>>>>>Done. Peace.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    eggs
    protein shakes
    protein bar
    fish
    chicken
    greek yogurt
    cheese
    I can hit around 100 with protein shake each day, greek yogurt, and meat with lunch and dinner.
  • daydream58
    daydream58 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I like to use shrimp for protein as it's low in fat and most of my other favorite protein sources are also fat sources, so it's a nice easy one on salads, etc. But in a pinch I'd also use whey protein as you can make a delicious smoothie in no time as well and there are so many great flavors too.
  • jamiesokd
    Options

I took a look at that, thanks. :) my macros say 130g, so I guess I just have to eat 6-7 major sources a day. That seems like a lot.

PP suggested cheese sticks, I would have to eat like 20 of them, lol
  • jamiesokd
    Options
    eggs
    protein shakes
    protein bar
    fish
    chicken
    greek yogurt
    cheese
    I can hit around 100 with protein shake each day, greek yogurt, and meat with lunch and dinner.

I'm supposed to hit 131 according to Mfp, so I'm guessing protein powder or shakes would be essential?
  • DSFfit
    DSFfit Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Beef jerky.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    work out your total protein target. Take a small amount off. Divide by no. of meals you have per day. That is how much you should have in each meal. If you are lower in one, you will need more in another.

You can get small amounts of protein in plenty of snack foods too.
  • _Terrapin_
    Options
    lunch or mid-day snack beef jerky and cheese stick.....boom! Yes, that just happened. Seriously chicken and fish are great sources and can you can modify taste with a variety of seasoning options. Okay, now I'm hungry....
  • jamiesokd
    Options
    work out your total protein target. Take a small amount off. Divide by no. of meals you have per day. That is how much you should have in each meal. If you are lower in one, you will need more in another.

You can get small amounts of protein in plenty of snack foods too.

That gives me 40 g per meal, approximately. So my 100 grams of scrambled egg (3 eggs) gave me 11 protein. So I would need to eat a dozen eggs for breakfast?? I know that's not really a realistic meal, lol, but it just seems way to much?
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Take some protein powder to work so you're never stuck for a meal without protein. Other than that, add in more protein with your snacks.

I had a look at your diary and we have the exact same calorie and protein goal. I usually just aim to get above 100 though
  • jamiesokd
    Options
    Take some protein powder to work so you're never stuck for a meal without protein. Other than that, add in more protein with your snacks.

I had a look at your diary and we have the exact same calorie and protein goal. I usually just aim to get above 100 though

So what do you do with a protein powder? I've never used it before. I know I've read people do smoothies? But what else can you put it in? I guess sprinkled on other food?
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I find I have a hard time if I don't have protein every meal. I have tried to have oatmeal and such for breakfast but find if I don't have eggs and some turkey sausage or bacon I have a hard time. Also aim for some at lunch if you get stuck at work often then brown bag it or have some boiled eggs for snacks, keep a protein bar in your purse, greek yogurt add some sliced almonds, cottage cheese for snacks, sometimes a smoothie with banana, protein powder and all natural peanut butter is good in a pinch. Pick up some hemp seeds for your smoothies also they have protein. I know some things seem to not have much, but adding them to other things seems to help me.
  • Booda101
    Booda101 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'll make a drink of a cup of skim milk and a scoop of whey protein. That gives me 200-300 some calories and around 30g of protein.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options

So what do you do with a protein powder? I've never used it before. I know I've read people do smoothies? But what else can you put it in? I guess sprinkled on other food?

You can basically just drink it straight with water (not as tasty) or milk but there are plenty of creative things you can do with it. A few that I've tried are:

- fruit smoothies
    -protein fluff
    - substitute flour in baked goods (I've tried sweet potato protein cake, cinnamon protein cake and protein cheese cake). Check out http://proteinpow.com/ for ideas
    - mixed into oatmeal (after cooking)

Most of the time I just chugg it with water or milk though because it's easy
  • AbsolutelyAnnie
    AbsolutelyAnnie Posts: 2,695 Member
    Options
    From looking at your stats, your carbs and your protein are both set at 131, and fat at 78. You can change these macros so that you are set to get a little more carbs and fat and a bit less protein. You may want to try 40% carbs, 30% protein, and 30% fat.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    i hit almost 200 grams a day ..

steak, pork, chicken, cottage cheese, greek yogurt, fish, etc….