5K=2nd (or 3rd) class citizens?? :(

Options
So....my first 5K is in the morning.

Picked up my packet today. Both a full and a half marathon are also happening at the same event, and yes, it's called the "Kansas City MARATHON".

But EVERYTHING on the website, the fitness expo where we pick up our packets, the commemorative items, the employees and volunteers....are all about the Marathon. Yes, that is a great accomplishment. But the 5K, to many of us, IS OUR MARATHON. We've come a lot further than MOST of the marathoners have. We line up in the back (despite that many 5k'ers probably run faster than the marathoners), we don't get a finishers medal, no recognition for a 1st time racer (in any event...that's sad, I think). There have been no tips, no ANYTHING for the people in the 5K. it's like it's a 'baby's race' and we're not REAL runners. It just really hurts and pi$$es me off and makes me not want to run tomorrow. I'm thrilled for the 13.1 and 26.2 runners. Maybe someday that'll be me. Maybe not. But this 5K is just as important, if not moreso, than many lined up for 'distance'.

I'm more depressed instead of excited about my race in the morning now. It's like us 5k'ers don't matter. We're afterthoughts, 'annoyances', losers, compared to the 'long distance runners. This IS a big deal to those of us who don't run.

I swear, I have never seen or sensed so many 'snobs' in one place, about running/exercise, not even in a high class gym. I feel like crying. Why am I even doing this? It doesn't matter, I'm not worth anything. Why even try?

Replies

• RDTaylor13
    Options
    it shouldn't matter what those "snobs" think, and/or say, or don't say. as for a prize. try thinking about how you'll feel completeling your 5K race. as the prize. and get satisfaction from the fact that you tried. plus you should be doing this for you, your health, and family.
  • SouthernBell86
    SouthernBell86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Hmm, maybe you need to find a different 5k to participate in in the future. Maybe a local university or something has one. At any rate, just because THEY don't recognize your major achievement (TRUST ME! That is huge! If I could run a 5k I'd flip my lid!!!) doesn't mean that it isn't amazing.

I say, do something for yourself, and maybe round up some of the other first timers as well. Buy yourself a new shirt, dress...or maybe running shoes! (If you have the money). If money is tight, print out a picture of yourself at the finish line to put up on your fridge.

I'm sorry they won't help you celebrate, but don't let them rain on your parade :)
  • jtsmou
    jtsmou Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    There are elitists everywhere and among every type of group to some degree, even on this website believe it or not..
  • nursee67
    nursee67 Posts: 503
    Options
    You know what??? YOU are running a 5K tomorrow! How awesome is that! Don't worry about other's recognition...whether it be from a person or an organization. YOU are the only person that needs to be impressed with yourself. Run across that finish line...hoot and holler for yourself and the others running with you...and be proud of yourself!!!!! I have never met you..and I am proud of you! Go knock em dead!
  • DoreenN
    DoreenN Posts: 60
    Options
    Dont be discouraged. You should feel great about running a 5k. I am not a runner at all and ran my first 5k last year. I finished it in 32 minutes and came in like 500 outta 600. But you know what I was so happy and felt such a sense of accomplishment because I actually ran it. I didnt care that the winner ran it in like 16 minutes. For me 32 minutes was good.
    BTW marathon running is really bad for your joints and knees. Going that kind of distance isnt good for you, so stick with your 5k's and be excited.
    Good luck tomorrow and have fun!
  • dragonfly__
    dragonfly__ Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Don't let others get you down! You are running 3.2 miles tomorrow not everyone can do that... or even come close! this is your accomplishment, be proud of yourself and enjoy what you have done... we should never make our choices or set or goals on what others may think about us. Do this for you like you were before you knew there were distance snobs out there. I would love to run a marathon and my cardiovascular endrance would allow me to do so... the leg a injured when I ran my VW bug in to a tree will not... everytime I cross the finish line of a 5K I HAVE RUN MY MARATHON... good luck tomorrow!
  • emorym
    emorym Posts: 344
    Options
    Go and have a good run tomorrow. Remember you are doing this for yourself and no one else. I have been running about 2 years now and will probably never win my age group. The reason I run is to have fun and see if I can improve my times from the previous race or year. I have lost weight and my legs look great. So find some reasons for you to do the race and it isn't for the other people doing whatever distance they are running tomorrow. Run for yourself.

Good luck and have a great race!!! Oh and let us know how it goes.
  • mjpatey
    mjpatey Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I've felt that feeling before. I know this sounds easier than it is, but don't let it bother you too much. I'm kind of in between those stages you're talking about... a 5K is no longer a huge deal, but I haven't done a half-marathon yet. So I have a tiny bit of perspective on this. I can see how that mentality creeps into people's thinking as mileage increases. Right now, for example, I look at the mileage I was doing just a few months ago and think, "Harrumph! I was barely a runner back then!" It's human nature, to an extent.

Part of the challenge of being a runner is that it's a "solo" sport. You have to shut out other people, other influences, distracting thoughts (especially discouraging ones) and compete with yourself. Ignore the circumstances, and push forward to finish the race. There's nothing like knowing you've done it!

Maybe you'll go on to run longer races in the future, or maybe not. That's up to you. A 5K is quite an accomplishment in my book. I've lost 80 pounds in the past year and a half, and running a mile without keeling over was impossible for me a year ago. Now I'm running 6-10 miles every other day, and my body thanks me for it.

You should feel proud to be running this race tomorrow. Try to shut out the snobs, and whatever you do, run *your* race!
  • jcubesmommy
    Options
    I agree! I've never run a 1/2 or a full marathon but I've run 5k's and even worked my way up to a 10k. My biggest fan was me! it felt so good to put that number on! and it felt so good to cross the finish line! Little old ladies were passing me up like i was crawling - but it was SO worth it!!!! I realized that I was a runner that day and I am still a runner today! So are you! <3
  • emalay
    emalay Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    In our books we are first class citizens!! I just completed my first 5k the other day and was so proud and excited that I wanted to shout from the rooftops!
    I never thought I'd be able to run even 1k so in my eyes I've accomplished a ton already.
    Tomorrow go and race for yourself and no one else...everyone is at different levels of fitness and endurance. You may join the rest of them later or you may not, bottom line be proud of what you've done because to alot of people you are amazing!!
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I'm not 5k ready yet, but I think I will be in a month. I've never even thought about the bigger races, I just figured once I do a 5k, I'd like to try a triathlon. I'm not one to really give a hoot about other people's thoughts anyway.
  • kspeach
    kspeach Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I was really counting on y'all for some support. It just stinks. I was all jazzed and excited until I went to the fitness expo today. Then, WOW. I kinda felt it on their facebook page for the races, but to no avail. Now I'm kinda ticked that I'm wasting my 'virgin race' with people who don't appreciate it.

Okay, trying to go to sleep now....caffeine galore in 6 hours!!

Thanks thanks thanks!!
  • caroeden
    Options
    first of all, way to go.. that is a great accomplishment!!

it's because the "Event" isn't the 5k. trust me. if you were a half marathoner running in a something billed heavily as a "marathon" (which i've been) you'd be feeling just as shunned. and the halves might even be feeling the same way in yours... or even us pokey run/walkers that have to start in the back anyway.

i promise that they don't feel like 5k people are second class, there are a LOT of 5k runners that are totally awesome. but in this case it just isn't the draw of the event. next race - do a 5k and i promise that the vibe will be totally different.

while we are all talking about building up to whatever - bear in mind, a 5k runner and a marathon runner are a completely different kind of athlete. some people are just not going to ever be designed to run 5ks well and some people aren't distance runners. i don't run quick (which is actually the point of a 5k) but i can go forever... and ever and ever... (or could until i got mad at running my last race and took an extended break - and i am just now starting back)

so bear that in mind when you are picking races... running races can be very cliquish. runners are very friendly, but speedy is speedy is long is long... it is the way of the road...
  • dinos
    dinos Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    You're running for yourself, not for the t-shirt or the others Just do the darn 5k and you'll be very proud.
  • maccabeth
    maccabeth Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    FIrst off, congratulations on getting to your first 5k! You will never forget that feeling! It's what motivated me to continue! I still have that first t-shirt, too. :)

I think you'd find that if you talked to the other runners at the expo, that they would be very encouraging. I have found that 90% of runners are in it for fun and health and sincerely enjoy talking to runners of all distances. There are always a slight few who like to go around thinking they are the next marathon winner elite (and a few are, I guess) but I just ignore them!

Another point- 5k's as part of a marathon or half are the "fun run" and not seen as the main event. Sort of like the local opening act at a major concert. Folks are there for the big show and may not be as enthusiastic about the opening band. Does that make sense? As someone else suggested, you should sign up for a 5k that is just the 5k. It will be different I promise!

Remember that you also probably paid a lot less than those registered for the full/half marathon, thus no medal and stuff! (Sorry!)

Good luck at your race! Just have fun and soak up the atmosphere! :)
  • SweetPandora
    SweetPandora Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear that your first race is not acknowledging the 5 km the same as the longer distances.

Regardless - Congrats to you for taking on this goal and going for it.

This is your big day, don't let anyone else take that away from you.

Run, smile and enjoy your first 5km.

Don't judge all races by this one.

Best of luck and have fun!

Karen