I need to gain weight!help!

Options
So I'm tring to gain 25 pounds. I'm 19 5'7 and 120 pounds, I feel and look too skinny. My doctor said I am skinny fat.... all my life I've been trying to gain weight and its so damn hard! 2 summers ago I gained like 15 pounds cause I was drinking ensure plus 3 times a day and I didnt do **** all day... but then my belly got fat and I hate my body. I need help. I want to gain muscle so yesterday I started doing 3 sets of 10 squats and lunges with weights..it's all I can do for now but what cardio excercises can I do that will target my belly? I dont want to lose weight cause I'm skinny enough but I heard I can't lose that fat unless I do cardio. Oh and should I try mass gainers? I really really want to gain weight but lose this belly fat? Help! When will I start seeing results, and with which exercises?

Replies

• brobonbon
    brobonbon Posts: 1
    Options
    if you're trying to lose belly weight do ab workouts. also try to eat more than 2200 cal/day
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    if you're trying to lose belly weight do ab workouts. also try to eat more than 2200 cal/day
    Incorrect. Loss of belly fat comes from calorie deficit. Exercise DOES not spot reduce any part of the body.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition[/b
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    You can't gain and lose weight at the same time. You either choose one or the other. One takes a surplus, the other a deficit.
    Don't worry as much about your abs right now if you're trying to gain weight. Progressive overload with lots of volume (16 sets per body part) to put on muscle along with a decent surplus. Once you reach the size you like, then "cut" to lose body fat and show the muscle better. Known as a "bulk and cut" cycle.

I started out at 126lbs at 19 years old so I know exactly how you feel. I was able to put on about 30lbs my first year. But I did the above to do it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • vcesperanza
    Options
    So what do you mean by 16 sets per body part, sorry idk about this stuff..and will mass gainers work? When will I start to see results? Thanks btw
  • Trad_Barbie
    Trad_Barbie Posts: 166 Member
    Options

Incorrect. Loss of belly fat comes from calorie deficit. Exercise DOES not spot reduce any part of the body.

That.
  • Trad_Barbie
    Options
    So what do you mean by 16 sets per body part, sorry idk about this stuff..and will mass gainers work? When will I start to see results? Thanks btw

Your abs are a body part. Your arms are a body part. Your legs are a body part. Ect.
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options

That.

You cannot lose the fat but you can tone the muscle underneath it.
    Cardio exercises didn't seem to tone my muscles as much as the ab exercises did. I am willing to assume that the fact the Ab exercises do not burn as many calories as the Cardio ones may play a part in that.
  • Trad_Barbie
    Options

That.

You cannot lose the fat but you can tone the muscle underneath it.
    Cardio exercises didn't seem to tone my muscles as much as the ab exercises did. I am willing to assume that the fact the Ab exercises do not burn as many calories as the Cardio ones may play a part in that.

Cardio is called cardio because it exercises the cardiovascular system. Cardio is helpful in losing fat (hence the 'fat burning' setting on a lot of machines) but it's not necessary for fat loss. Muscle at rest burns more calories than cardio. As a rock climber that knows many rock climbers? We all eat really, really healthfully when we're training for a climb (right now I'm a garbage can and I need to work on that) but not all of us do cardio. Every last one of us has some pretty ridiculous muscle definition. You don't NEED the cardio for the fat burn, you need the muscle for long lasting results.
    Worded really poorly. It's Sunday. I don't want to think.

Edited to add: I do the cardio. I do the cardio, Boss! For my cardiovascular system & lung capacity.
    &
    I totally misunderstood what you were trying to say there, I think. Whatever, either way, lift heavy s*&^!