Advice on calf pain?

Options
Hi all!!

I did a workout I haven't done in a while that has mainly running on spot. It was great but my calves
are in pain. I did it again yesterday to try and work it out. I do still have pain, I can walk no
probs, but I do have pain even when resting.
I'm just wondering is It best to rest them and work other areas or work through it and continue?? I know i could do it over but I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing for recovery!!

Advice appreciated!!!!

Replies

• NYIceQueen
    NYIceQueen Posts: 1,423
    Options
    If it isn't really sharp pain/stiffness, you could try simple stretches before and after the workout, maybe consider legwarmers while you warm up before the workout.

But be careful...if it's really painful and stiff, you could tear it (which I've done). If walking is comfortable, I'd walk and then try to work on other areas, giving it at least a day in between.

:flowerforyou:
  • LauraAkaTigger
    LauraAkaTigger Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    It isn't sharp pain at all, it's like a dull ache although quite painful ( although I have a high pain threshold!!! ) it is stiff on both legs. I know I could do the same workout I just don't want to make it worse and end up having to take a few days break from exercise as a result. I have a heated beanbag on it now to warm them, then I'll stretch. I'm just mad to do the workout again!!!
  • Happyguy
    Happyguy Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Sounds like muscle damage to me and it is perfectly normal and desirable.

Give your calves a rest and do another workout for a day or two. Your calves will come back stronger than ever and you'll be able to work them even harder.
  • LauraAkaTigger
    Options
    Thanks for the advice!! I'm warming and stretching now so maybe will switch to another workout. Might try something thats not as much on my toes!!! Looks like skipping is out for a couple of days too!!
  • championnfl
    championnfl Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    No matter what anyone tells you...pain is the way the body talks to you....ease off till pain goes away...listen to your body at all times...you will be thank full that you did!!!! Examples...watch pro athletes when they are hurting, always take a day off!!! Good luck!!:wink:
  • soze
    soze Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    You be talking to the right guy here. When I first started walking/hiking in January the calf pain was paralyzing. The thing to do, as others have said, is to stretch those calves. Do this by putting your foot on a curb or something higher than your heel and move your leg forward or tilt forward while your heel is on the ground. You can actually feel the tension from the calves. A trainer taught me this. Eventually it will subside. But do this before you start, while you are working out, and after.

I use to laugh at myself. First it was the calves, then the shins, then the thighs, and finally ended at the small of the back. The small of the back took forever to work through. I think because I am so heavy. I found that sit-ups help with the back along with stretching.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    It isn't sharp pain at all, it's like a dull ache although quite painful ( although I have a high pain threshold!!! ) it is stiff on both legs. I know I could do the same workout I just don't want to make it worse and end up having to take a few days break from exercise as a result. I have a heated beanbag on it now to warm them, then I'll stretch. I'm just mad to do the workout again!!!

Where exactly is this pain? Is it at the back of the calfs in the lower half? If so, it could be achilles tendon strain - be careful.

Quick story: Years ago, I did a lot of athletics on the track, I used to do sprints. I would be okay when training on grass, but when I did track work on synthetic tracks, my calfs would ache.

First time it happened, "no probs" thinks I, in her infinite wisdom "train through it". So I did.

Second time it was a little more aching "no probs" thinks I (I was a little concerned though).

Third time IT BLOODY HURT! Result: No running, at all, for five months. I had tendonitis in the achilles and if I had just rested it when it first started to ache, I would probably have been fine, but no, not me, it has to be all or nothing lol.

Muscles strains and pulls, overtraining and tendonitis, bone problems, the list is long for possible injuries when it comes to us all doing sport and workouts, the trick is to recognise the symptoms quickly and take notice.

If your calfs ache, change your routine, swimming is excellent, no strain and brilliant exercise. Approximately 600 calories per hour if you swim continuously breastroke (no idea what the other strokes burn).

Just one more thing, you need to find out for definite, because if it turns out to be a pull or strain, heat alone may damage it more, because in those instances, coldpacks stop internal muscle bleeding which is what occurs in pulls and you may need to use those.

Just be careful xxx
  • LauraAkaTigger
    Options
    Thanks for the advice!!! So my biggest question is will I continue or rest? I'm already warming then up and stretching today, I got advice to do the downward dog yoga mice which seems to be stretching it nicely too but I will definitly follow the other stetches you have advised...
    I'm not one to give up easily!!!
  • LauraAkaTigger
    Options
    Lotus flower it is in the upper half of the calf, not lower
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to see this thread, I just started Zumba (my puny little 2 classes lol) And since then my calves have been hurting. They are definitely stiff and sore, and noticeable more than anything else on my body. It also still hurts when I walk, only in the back, and like a line up from the bottom to the top. :( I think when i did the classes I kept up on my toes more than I should (I think it just happened from trying to keep up).

Do you think stretching before will help avoid this later?
  • LauraAkaTigger
    Options
    I'm glad to see this thread, I just started Zumba (my puny little 2 classes lol) And since then my calves have been hurting. They are definitely stiff and sore, and noticeable more than anything else on my body. It also still hurts when I walk, only in the back, and like a line up from the bottom to the top. :( I think when i did the classes I kept up on my toes more than I should (I think it just happened from trying to keep up).

Do you think stretching before will help avoid this later?

I wasnt stretching properly or warming up.. I kept with the programme at an easier rate and it did get better.. although 2 days on im due a rest day now!!!

Hope your legs are better!!