Time for a new change or routine?

justinswife
justinswife Posts: 49 Member
edited September 22 in Health and Weight Loss
So I have been counting calories and working out up to an hour each day. So far my progress has been great but I have not lost any weight this week. I don't understand that since I have been putting so much effort into it. Does anyone have any suggestions? Should I decrease my calories( I am at 1200), cut out carbs, change my workout? I really want to start losing again so that I can reach my goals!

Replies

• jalovec
    jalovec Posts: 62
    I'm having the same problem! I'm going to eat less sugar, and change up my workout a bit more, and see if that helps. I'm reluctant to decrease calories because I don't want my metabolism to crash. I'd love to hear other people's ideas too.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Guys, it's just a plateu. It sucks, but its temporary. If your period is coming up, you could be retaining water; if you are pushing yourself during your workouts you could be building muscle and/or retaining water. It's just part of what happens. Hang in there. keep doing what you're doing and it'll come off.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    I would actually INCREASE your cals. You metabolism has probably sped up from all the exercise and now it's not getting enough nutrients. I wouldn't cut carbs, your muscles need carbs, (not to mention the rest of you:smile: ) I know it's really hard to believe that adding cals will help you lose, it took me months at a plateau to finally believe it. As soon as I started eating more I started losing again.
    Also, it could be water retention from TOM or sodium, drink LOTS of water and don't give up!
  • cstibbe
    cstibbe Posts: 47 Member
    I dealt with this SAME problem for the last couple weeks. I ate very healthy and 1200 cals each day and my exercise routine was very intense yet everyday I stepped on the scale it said the same weight. I couldn't get that scale to budge! From reading other posts on this topic a lot of people mentioned that they ate more calories, more specifically they ate their exercise calories. It was really hard for me to get myself to this. Going over my cals even for just one day was something I didn't want to do but I decided to give it a go, one day couldn't hurt right? Well I ate an extra 200 out of the 300 I burned at the gym yesterday and the scale is down a pound! Guess I was scared for nothing! I would try doing this as well, it may be the solution to your problem. (My extra calories were from fruits, veggies, and whole wheat bread and laughing cow cheese though so they were healthy cals, not an unhealthy dessert at the end of the day or something like that).

Hope this helps! Try not to stress though, what you are going through is fairly common.
  • justinswife
    justinswife Posts: 49 Member
    So did you eat all of your calories earned for exercise or just a portion? I burn close to 500 and dont think that I could eat that many back! 1700 seems like a lot to me and I would be stuffed. How many days did you eat more calories for? Was your lose consistent? Thanks for the advice!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Some people say that eating 50-75% of their exercise cals is enough but others eat them all. You'll have to find what works for you. This week I have been trying something new for me and that is eating almost all of them and it is HARD! It's a lot of cals, it's hard for my brain to process eating all that food and just actually eating it! You might want to just try eating 50% of your exercise cals and see what happens. Make sure you are getting enough water too, just in case you are retaining. :smile:
  • CroakerNorge
    CroakerNorge Posts: 165 Member
    Not all weeks are created equal, it's a simple fact.
    Google the article "Why The Scale Lies", it may help to put it in perspective for you.
    Also, only weigh yourself on your actual weigh-in day, the scale can fluctuate hourly.
    Overall, a downward trend is what you should be focusing on along with healthy & sustainable losses.

Generally, a plateau usually occurs after a sustained period of time with no losses (approx. 6 weeks)
    One week is usually not a good indicator of a plateau. Though, it's unclear by your post how long you've
    experienced this leveling-off.

Revisit your menu planning. Are you sure you're being as dilligent as you think you are?
  • tjradd73
    tjradd73 Posts: 3,495 Member
    i would def not decrease your calories!! i would probably increase your protien and decrease your sodium if you do make a change in your diet! if you are working out everyday you need to replenish what you are losing so your body knows to keep losing! if you do the same workout everyday...then i would try changing it up...its good to give certain muscles a break every now and then :) hopefully this helps!! don't give up!
This discussion has been closed.