Potassium

Options
FireOpalCO
FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
When I look at my daily Nutrition Details the one place I keep coming up short is Potassium. I'm hesitant to take an additional potassium supplement, since so few items in the database seem to list potassium at all. For example, my broccoli steamer bags omit it entirely, even though I know broccoli is rich in potassium.

So I wonder if I'm worrying for no reason or if I should start adjusting my diet for more potassium or take a supplement.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Replies

• Tryxxie2013
    Tryxxie2013 Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    I asked my diabetic nutritionalist about this, and she said that there is potassium in pretty much EVERYTHING we eat...but most don't list it. I had asked about a supplement too, but she told me that there really wasn't a reason to take one unless I had a deficiency, as most people reach their daily potassium needs without realising it.

As long as you're not just eating junk (which I'm sure you don't), you should be fine!

Hope this helps!
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Food labeling does not require potassium to be listed at all, so finding good numbers is always a challenge. If you really need to track it, try using the USDA's online database SR 26 (http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list). I created a series of binders for a relative on a highly-restricted potassium diet from it and it's kept her going.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    I use cronometer to track. I have a devil of a time getting all my potassium if that is accurate. It seems to jibe with MFP so I have no reason to think it's not.

If potassium really is in nearly everything and it just isn't being listed, that is pretty damn dangerous to those of us trying to get enough, because that means we're going over without knowing it.

Which government agencies needs a good old fashioned slapping around for not requiring proper labeling? FDA and USDA, right? Someone bring me my beat stick.
  • coolblondenerd
    coolblondenerd Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Bananas or coconut water! No supplement needed!
  • Jestinia
    Options
    Bananas or coconut water! No supplement needed!

Coconut water is great because it has so few calories, too. Sun dried tomatoes are my current favorite, though.*

*If I type that one more time in regards to tomatoes, I'm calling the Tomato Growers Association of America and demanding a paycheck.
  • Jestinia
    Options
    He did say, though, that it was practically impossible to get too much from regular food sources.

That's a relief. I am being careful to check everything I eat off site if I think it might be listed in the MFP database without potassium. I even make sure to track the amount I get in my coffee. I don't think I'm getting too much by trying to get enough, but the FDA needs to step up.