Weighing everything?

Options
milesaway61
milesaway61 Posts: 1,390 Member
Hi everyone,

I see people always talking about weighing every single thing you eat. Do I really have to? I weigh most things, but not all. I've lost 9 inches in the past month, so clearly, I'm doing something right.

I don't measure liquids, at least, not exactly. I don't measure my water, I just drink it. I put milk in my smoothies, and the blender has a marker that I use, so it's fairly accurate.

I never weigh my salad or greens. I just guess. Should I actually be weighing out how much lettuce I eat? I imagine the difference in calories and fat between 100g and 150g of lettuce is fairly minimal.

So what's the general opinion? Weigh absolutely everything, or is there some leeway?

Replies

• pinkshiningstar
    pinkshiningstar Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    If it goes in my mouth and it's not a liquid, it hits the scale first. Liquids I use measuring cups for.

The only thing I'm pretty lenient on is my lettuce/leafy greens. They're so low I figure if I'm off a little, it won't kill me. But everything else goes on the scale.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Well, you have 52 lbs to go, so yeah, you have some leeway. Someone who is close to goal really doesn't have much if losing weight is a priority. 100 calories a day can be the difference between losing and not losing at that point. And it's shockingly easy to be off by 100 calories if you aren't weighing everything.
  • MissJenniLee
    MissJenniLee Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I retract my statement :D
  • dont_tap_my_aces
    dont_tap_my_aces Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    i weigh it all. even liquid (obviously not water). but im anal.

i'd suggest weighing everything for the first few weeks or so... it will help you get great at estimating so you won't need to rely on weighing everything for long.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    It's your choice. Since you are losing, I wouldn't be as concerned about it, but if you hit a plateau you may want to start dialling in your logging accuracy.

I tend to focus on weighing the calorie dense things. I don't see the point of measuring water. Salad greens alone - not worried about weighing either - I weigh them more to get an accurate track my micros than calories. You aren't going to kill your calorie goal on salad greens. Even lower calorie veggies same deal. A potato or avocado is a little different since they do have more calories.

ETA- I should also add, I've been at this for awhile so I have a really good grasp on serving size as well.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh my beverages, but if they have calories I do measure them.

I do weigh other liquids (like condiments), and I also weigh most of my other foods at home (especially if they're calorie-dense), but I do tend to be a little more lax on vegetables. If I'm making a large salad, I will weigh my greens to know how big of a serving I'm having and can log it accurately. But if I'm just putting a bit of lettuce on top of my burger, I don't really worry about it.

If you're having success doing what you're doing, then... keep doing what you're doing! I don't always weigh absolutely everything, and it has worked out so far. If I ever get to the point where I'm having trouble reaching my goals, then I will definitely buckle down and be more strict. :smile:
  • BachMa2000
    BachMa2000 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh everything but I do tend to round up if there is any uncertainty. I have been steadily losing so I am not too concerned with it. Maybe when I get closer to my goal I will need to tighten up my process but for now it seems unnecessary.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I try to weight everyone that I eat. Like someone else above me has said, I don't get too crazy weighing leafy greens, but everything else gets weighed. It was an eye opener to me to see what an actual serving size of almonds and pasta was. :grumble:
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I weigh everything solid that goes in my mouth when I'm at home. Liquids (except water) get measuring spoons/cups. I even weight things like American cheese slices to see how the slice weight compares to the package slice weight. If it is within 5% of the package I don't bother to change the portion, but much more than that I do.

Obviously when I'm not at home, I cannot weigh everything, so I figure the diligence at home helps to offset the inaccuracy that I introduce when I eat elsewhere.

For me the discipline of weighing also helps keep me focused. For example when I want a snack of veggies or nuts, I weigh and log my portion and then put the container away. Then if I want more later I have to get up again. It helps to keep me from grazing, which is something I used to do a lot of.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options
    I think everyone if different. When I was losing weight, I always weighed calorie dense items (proteins, potatoes, rice, breads, nuts & peanut butter etc) and for a time produce items such as bananas and apples to get a visual understanding of what "medium" and "large" were. But I never weighed salad items and I still got to my goal weight/size.

I think the reason so many MFPers are food scale devotees is we've seen LOTS OF POSTS from folks who claim they are doing everything right but not losing weight. And a scan of their food diaries shows they are not using a food scale. And not being accurate with food and calorie measuring can easily erase a perceived calorie deficit. Turns out they are eating a lot more than they thought.

Best Wishes!
  • milesaway61
    milesaway61 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys (and gals).

I do weigh almost everything, except the greens. I figure the 1 or 2 calorie difference between eating 30g and 40g of baby spinach is not really worth the hassle. Besides, I measured it once or twice, and now just use that frame of reference. I dutifully weigh my granola, strawberries, apples, nachos, you name it.

I only drink water, so yeah, I don't measure it. I haven't measured my chocolate soy milk, so maybe I should start that.

My goal weight is more of an idea. I'm going for strength. I'd much rather be heavier, but a great hockey player, than skinny and weak. I don't live in a country where bikinis are of much use, so that's no concern for me. :D
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    If you're experiencing success then keep going. If you ever stall out, reevaluate.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    If you're experiencing success then keep going. If you ever stall out, reevaluate.
    Agreed with this.

and can also agree with those who weigh everything.

Up to the individual person, and if you are losing then keep at it and reevaluate if you hit a plateau.

Weighing everything can be a nuisance and bothersome so if you are losing without it....keep at it.

If i buy some meat at the market, I go by the pkg weight and if I divide it out I do so evenly and do a little math with the calories.