Calorie Intake Help!

Options
I need help! I am 5’5” and currently 319 lbs and according to MFP I should be eating 2000 cal/day. I have been on MFP for 3 weeks and don’t think I have ever gone above 1800 cal. I make sure I get at least 1200 cal a day. I eat 3 meals a day, and usually only snack when I am hungry. I am maybe drinking more water now that I bought flavoring to put in it, but it’s a push to get in the recommendation. I am a nurse that works from 2:30 pm to 11:30 pm so I don’t even get home until after midnight. I know you aren’t suppose to eat late at night… My day usually consists of waking up around 10, going straight to the gym so I grab a slim fast, come home and eat lunch while cooking dinner, then go to work, eat dinner at work, and maybe have a snack later around 9 pm if I am not too busy. Sometimes I am so busy that I scarf down dinner, it just depends on my patients. Sometimes when I get home I will eat a snack, and I still don’t get enough calories in. Why would I need 2000 calories a day? That seems very high to me…and why do I need to eat the calories I burn with exercise? That would be over 4000 calories a day sometimes!!! My exercise program is set up by a trainer at the gym. Please help!

Replies

• kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Water is the key. Yes 2000 calories a day for 1-2 pound weight loss per week sounds about right. What did you choose as your activity level? I think your breakfasts should consist of more calories. Aim for about 300-400 calories. A few egg whites, turkey bacon and whole wheat mini bagel would be good. Or even whole grain cereal with skim milk. Eating breakfast revs up that metabolism. I will say it again...WATER WATER WATER WATER. You need at least a gallon per day. The point of eating some of your exercise calories is so your body won't go into starvation mode. I weigh more than you and am 5'6". MFP has me 2200 calories per day and I have lost 20 pounds in two months. The formula works, you have to trust it.
  • Soapbox
    Soapbox Posts: 38
    Options
    Trust your trainer becuase they know what calorie you are burning.

Those 200 calories wont make or break you.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    What are you logging as exercise/how are you measuring your calories burned during exercise?

2,000 is a sensible base, but 2,640 calories of exercise is an awful lot of exercise? Maybe you're logging your activity (ie, housecleaning, etc?)
  • MysticMaiden22
    MysticMaiden22 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    The best thing to do is to listen to your trainer and also try to keep your calorie amounts around what MFP asks for. Taking into account that you are 5'5" and weigh 319, I don't doubt that you would have to eat around 4,000 calories a day when you exercise about 2,000 calories off each day.

Believe me, you are doing an excellent job, but what I see on your food diary is a bit of a concern. I notice that you are working off all of the food that you are eating every day. This can be potentially dangerous since it is very similar to starvation and can actually have a reverse effect of slowing down your metabolism. We need to eat to lose weight :) A woman's body needs at the very least 1,200 calories each day that are not worked off by exercise. Yesterday, on your diary, you worked off 2775 calories due to exercise. You have to at least eat back 75% of what you worked off to avoid starving your body.

For instance, if you want to hit a goal of 1,200 calories a day , and you work off 2775 calories a day like you did yesterday, you need to eat about 3,975 calories for the day to make that goal.

I think a good idea would be to eat more calorie-dense foods on the days that you exercise. Breakfast should be your biggest meal since you are "breaking your fast" and revving up your metabolism from not eating for the past 8 or so hours of sleep. Oatmeal, cereal, egg whites, and fruit (mmm lots of it!) are very calorie dense and won't ruin your diet. I used to do the Slim-Fast thing and would be starving and tired by lunchtime. Also, a good way of spreading out your food throughout the day is to eat every 3-4 hours, even if it's a small snack. I carry little bags of nuts and granola bars with me that keep me satiated.

Losing weight is a bit of a puzzle, and I'm still on my way to solving that puzzle as well. You can do this :)
  • Bermudabarbie
    Bermudabarbie Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    You have received some excellent advice above. One more interesting fact has to do with potassium. On a low carb diet, you may not be getting the amount of potassium that your body requires. I know that is one of my problems.

One thing that happens when you are deficient in potassium is that you lose your appetite and you may tend to skip meals. I will be going for my annual physical soon and I will ask my physician if he recommends that I take a potassium supplement. Most of the potassium rich foods that I enjoy are found in fruits and I need to limit the amount of sugar grams in my diet -- even the "natural" ones found in fruits.

Try to keep your daily calories up in the recommended range for your height and weight level with your weight loss goals being set in a realistic way of perhaps 1.5 - 2 pounds a week. Nuts are a particularly healthy high caloric snack that you can perhaps add to your diet that contain good fats and very low sugar.

I would try a bigger breakfast every day, some good snacks like fruits and nuts and seeds, low fat cheeses like Laughing Cow light are also great snacks. With your higher caloric needs perhaps a fruit smoothy or protein shake can be added.

You are doing great on MFP. I know you will reach your goals. It's a lot of experimenting for all of us. We are all talking about a "life time plan." No rush. You are doing so well.
  • Stewie316
    Stewie316 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat all or any of your exercise calories if you're not hungry. Since you weigh more, you're not going to starve or push your body into starvation mode @ eating 1800 calories a day. I suggest just trying to eat a bigger breakfast and listen to your trainer. If you feel like you're hungry and you're not going over your calorie limit then eat a snack. If you're not hungry, don't force yourself to eat.